1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What a Wrestling fest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Panda

Panda Member

Here is a pic originally scooped by crash5179 .

[​IMG]

This 6-6 Canadian center is jumping up while grabbing Yao's jersey. I know the international rule is loose to physical play, but is this a norm allowed in games, or that guy's doing it 'cuz he's on the homecourt? Just wondering. Either way, that's not the way the game should be played IMO. I can now understand why a poster said that Yao's frustrated with the physical play, I would too if a 260 pounds guy use me as a stand to jump.

2. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

Panda,

I don't know the rules of NBA or International games. They do grap jersey.

[​IMG]

3. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

4. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

don't worry...in the game yao got away with a very obvious goal tending (it's on the highlight clip that i'm tryin to get posted) and he got away with a travelling (i have it on the 20 minute video clip that i recorded...but i see no way of posting, because it is so large).

so yeah, there weren't too many cheap shots either way, yao did as much shoving as the canadians did cheap shots...so no worries. they'll probably crack down in the actual tournament...it was just a charity game for steve nash's childrens foundation or somethin.

5. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

I could be wrong, but isn't goaltending allowed in international play?

6. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

the goaltending rules are different in international competition

7. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Boy this guy got raped out there, lol. I have to say though the more that I see him next to others the more I realize that he is an absolute giant. I mean man look at him next to that other dude, dude is not skinny and his upperbody looks just as big.

8. aznlincolnpark

I think other players can't contain yao unless they used cheat shots on him.........Sooner or later yao will be more physical with other players in the court

9. cwww

cwww Member

No, it's not allowed in international play as well.

According to the FIBA Official Basketball Rules, Art 41.2.1:

Goal tending occurs during a shot for a field goal when:
    -A player touches the ball when it is on its downward flight and the ball is completely above the level of the ring.

-A player touches the ball after it has hit the backboard and the ball is completely above the level of the ring.

These restriction apply only until the ball no longer has the possibility to enter the basket directly or after the ball has touched the ring.

10. mav3434

mav3434 Member

The rule is much, much looser under Int'l rules than NBA rules:

Section I-A Player Shall Not:
    a. Touch the ball or the basket ring when the ball is using the basket ring as its lower base.
    EXCEPTION: If a player near his own basket has his hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if his contact with the ball continues after the ball enters the cylinder, or if, in such action, he touches the basket.
    b. Touch the ball when it is above the basket ring and within the imaginary cylinder.
    c. For goaltending to occur, the ball, in the judgment of the official, must have a chance to score.
    d. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched any part of the backboard above ring level, whether the ball is considered on its upward or downward flight.
    e. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched the backboard below the ring level and while the ball is on its upward flight.
    f. Trap the ball against the face of the backboard. (To be a trapped ball, three elements must exist simultaneously. The hand, the ball and the backboard must all occur at the same time. A batted ball against the backboard is not a trapped ball.)
    g. Touch any live ball from within the playing area that is on its downward flight with an opportunity to touch the basket ring. This is considered to be a "field goal attempt" or trying for a goal.
    h. Touch the ball at any time with a hand which is through the basket ring.
    i. Vibrate the rim or backboard so as to cause the ball to make an unnatural bounce.
    PENALTY: If the violation is at the opponent's basket, the offended team is awarded two points, if the attempt is from the two point zone and three points if it is from the three point zone. The crediting of the score and subsequent procedure is the same as if the awarded score has resulted from the ball having gone through the basket, except that the official shall hand the ball to a player of the team entitled to the throw-in. If the violation is at a team's own basket, no points can be scored and the ball is awarded to the offended team at the free throw line extended on either sideline. If there is a violation by both teams, play shall be resumed by a jump ball between any two opponents at the center circle.

11. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

That doesn't look like a hard foul to me. I didn't see the game but I would have loved to. It is normal in all types of basketball, nba included, to incidentally grab jerseys. It just can't look too intentional. It is especially essential when playing against a player who is much bigger. Watch old games of Dennis Rodman or Charles Barkley guarding Shaq. Also watch Kurt Thomas play center for NY.

12. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

Someone should post a picture of Rudy drooling while he watches Ming play.

:D :D :D :D :D

13. TxCowboy96

TxCowboy96 Member

Is it me, or does the ball look really SMALL in Ming's hands. Dang!

14. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

yeah it does looks like a bowling ball in his hand.

15. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

In that second picture of windandaea's, thats a definite foul in the NBA. The guy is using Mings chest for leverage to push himself up higher. Or he's impeding Mings progress by putting his hand into Mings chest. In the NBA, either thats a foul or Rudy gets a technical for going beserk.