1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What a PERFECT game by DL

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alaskansnowman, Feb 4, 2002.

1. alaskansnowman

Great game by DL. Give him more PT! All he needs is some experience and confidence and he's not gonna get that sitting on da bench!

2. jerinrulz

jerinrulz Contributing Member

CAN I GET A DLLLL?! this is the true definition of a man.....getting punked all year long, practicing his ass off every damn day, being a fan favorite ( see post history of snowman and me :) ) and when his team is about ready to surrender with no players, he steps in and produces. SO i say it again, can i get a DL?!

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Five bucks to anybody that can actually remember the last time both Langhi and Collier played in the same game before tonight...

4. harumph

harumph Member

Have they ever actually played in a game together??? :D

Would guess the season opener the year they got drafted :p

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Langhi,

One 20 footer, one LEFT handed finger roll, and one alley oop assist to Francis.

If that is not a call for more PT then I don't know what is...why is TMO playing anyway?

DaDakota

6. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Exactly!!! Dan deserves as much PT as TMO. Nice game by Dan in those few min he had.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I completely agree, DaDakota. I don't know how Langhi managed to grow a sack while sitting on the bench all season (seems like it would hinder the growth), but he did. Based on tonight's clutch play, I think Dan should a get a start before the season is up, considering how many of our SFs are injured, and how bad Morris has looked in most games.

Dan might just show us something.

8. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

I'm all for playing Dan Langhi but under one condition, he shaves his face. I mean it wasn't looking awful but it wasn't great either. Well I guess we should just be happy that he got a chance to play and show off his defense by putting that lock down on Padget. He's instant offense unlike Morris who's instant, well I can't think of anything but I will get back to you guys when I do. More p.t. for Langhi thats the solution to all our problems, well not really but its a start.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. treeman

treeman Member

One good (and very short, for him) game does not a good player make. He's had too many horrible games (although admittedly not this season) to suddenly start throwing 20 mpg of PT his way.

That said, I wouldn't mind easing him in more PT, just to see if he's actually improved/gotten more consistent. TMo has been a disappointment, even if he shows flashes. I say let them fight over their PT. Whoever wins, we keep. One of them has to go.

11. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

First of all, for Langhi, this was a LONG game. Secondly, I think, at this point, based on the fact that Morris has gotten a LOT more minutes, Morris has had more horrible games than Langhi. At least Langhi has proven in the past that he can hit the open shot, all the way out to the 3 point line. He is a good shooter who lacked confidence his first couple of seasons. He showed confidence last night, so I see no problem with giving him 20 minutes of PT in the next few games, just to see if tonight is reproducable.

12. treeman

treeman Member

I see no problem in giving him 10 minutes, Raven. But I'll be damned if he's going to eat into either Cat's or Eddie's PT unless he damn well earns it.

We all know that he can hit the 3. We also know that Terrence can hit the 3. We all also also know that neither one of them has shown that they can hit the 3 consistently. I do not doubt Dan's playing ability; I doubt his ability to be consistent, and I doubt his confidence level. I have exactly the same doubts about TMo. That's why I favor them fighting over a roster spot...

At this point, I favor TMo. He has shown that he can rebound and play D (and block/change shots) as well - two things Dan has never showed an inkling of aptitude for, as far as I've seen - so he's got the edge so far in my book. But I am open to change in that regard...

I don't have any favorites as far as those two are concerned. I just want the better player to get the roster spot. By merit.

13. haven

haven Member

1. Bryce Drew had several 20+ games when he played for the Rockets.

2. Shandon Anderson had an entire month in which he averaged 15+ points.

3. We can't see Rockets practices. There's no reason to assume there's some sort of bench-Langhi conspiracy. If he were kicking ass in practice, he'd be in games more often.

4. Pippen had a great 30+ point game in the playoffs against LA in which he carried the Rockets. And Pippen frickin' sucks! :mad:

5. The guy demanded a trade earlier this year. When you haven't even demonstrated that you're capable of being a productive bench player, it's a very poor decision to demand a trade... especially during the season.

14. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Dan Langhi deserves some regular PT - WHY NOT? Last nite was only a glimpse of what he can bring.

This is a perfect season to work younger players like DL into the rotation with absolutely nothing to lose. Am I biased? Damn right I am, I'm a Vandyman. But this kid was a BEAST in a tough conference and player of the year; inside, outside you name it.

He is a pure shooter with incredible hops. And he's tough. For a year and a half I've been trying to figure out why he's in RT's doghouse. But look at EG, if it weren't for injuries forcing RT's hand, how much would he really be playing now?

Last nite he really made an impact in a few short minutes, and right when we needed help. Let's give DL a shot:cool: :)

Dallas Rocket

15. Miggidy Markell

Dan Langhi for 6th man award! :rolleyes:

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I thought after Hakeem was traded that we would come into camp as open competition for the 3 spot between Morris, Williams, and Langhi. All that was squashed when they traded for Rice and even though he has been hurt and walt also, Rudy plays Mobley at the 3 so much it doesn't matter. It would be nice to see what we have in him since we did trade Najera for him last yr.

17. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

This guy should get more PT. In fact, he should be considered Rudy's kind of guy, being able to hit the jumper. Given time, that guy could just plain light it up. To bad we invested so much time those stiffs at SF, this season. Langhi could well have been on his way. That Russion rookie tore up the summer league and carried that into the season. Probably, DL would have done the same. All he needs is playing time and seeing that we may not make the playoffs, all the youngers have to be exposed now.

The beauty of last night's game was that you had the youngers that gave you greater tempo and a lot more speed. Probably the best defensive effort of the season. I cannot wait to go home tonight to watch the game again. I need to take a closer look at the defense. I do not need to remind anyone that Utah is one of the hardest teams to defend especially if you are not giving it your full effort. They put you through the ringer. So to produce on the defensive end like we did was great. If we can carry that over the next ten games, we would get ourselves back in the race.

I maintain that Rudy should move away from the 3 guard line-up. It is too costly. First you main people are playing too many minutes and you are holding back the likes of OT, Tmo, and Langhi.

18. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

This much I do agree on. All I would really want is for Dan to eat into Morris's PT. I don't really see how he could eat into Eddie's time, since Dan really couldn't play PF or C.

Well, when I said that we know that Dan can hit the 3, I meant consistently hit the 3 in college. Dan was a much better shooter in college, whereas Morris thrived on a more inside game.

TMo has shown a better aptitude to defend, and is a much better rebounder than Dan, but I don't think that Morris will be a good enough defender to defend most of the 3's in this league. He is too slow laterally on his feet. Weakside shotblocking is something that he does provide over Dan, however.

To clarify, I am not advocating giving Dan 20 minutes a game for the rest of the season. I just thought it might be a good idea to give the guy starter minutes for just one game, and see how he does. If he continues to impress, then Rudy can continue to add minutes. Realistically, I know that Dan probably won't do much better than Morris, but there is that chance, and this season is a lost cause anyway.

19. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Typically, I would agree, but do you realize that last night, for the last several minutes of DL's appearance, the Rocks had a lineup of EG, Dan and the 3 guards? At the same time, the Jazz had a front line of Malone, Kirilenko and Padgett. I think Cat was trying to guard Kirelenko. I thought Rudy was out of his mind. When Dan came out, Morris came in.

So, either Dan was playing power forward or center. Actually, he stayed with Padgett & Eddie was on Malone.

20. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Damn, I didn't realize it, but looking back at the tape, Moe, you are right. Well, that I certainly DON'T advocate. Unless he is playing there because no one else is available to do so. Really the only position I would like to see Dan at is SF.