1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What 1 move do you wish Daryl Morey could have a do over on?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Feb 22, 2014.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q66

2. hamsession

hamsession Member

Dragic putting up the same numbers with Harden in the backcourt?

You realize that there is a 24 hr shot clock that limits the number of possessions in a game, and the game is played with ONE basketball, so only one person at a time has the ball? Please tell me you realize that.

3. hamsession

hamsession Member

24 hr = 24 sec

4. thejav

thejav Member

Still a better option then lin..

5. shastarocket

Please tell me you realize that Dragic and Bledsoe were both putting up great numbers, even though they are "ball-dominant slashers"

6. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Spot on.

That 4th year option was really a deal breaker, at least in what was operating standards for Morey at that time. No Superstar yet on the team so no player option to mess up cap flex in future.

Sure, hindsight is 20/20, some times 20/15, but cannot fault the man for thinking ahead.

Don't even care if Dragic contact would not have affected Harden deal or Howard deal.

At that moment in time he doesn't know either one was going to be a Rocket.

So I would put the Royce pick as worst. Did you NOT remember even Morey said that was the worst pick ever in the history of the draft, or something like that :)

Besides, without Dragic, they picked up Lin. Not a Lin only fan, but I like the guy as a person and even as inconsistent as he is I still like that once in a while he will blow up. Remember, he is in 2nd year of his career as a starter (Linsanity run not counted here) and he is younger than Dragic. who's to say that next year, the 3rd and final year of his contract that Lin cannot absolutely earn his contract and then some.

Sure, I wish Dragic was here because he is playing better but this is nothing compare to wasting a #1 draft pick and a #2 to get rig of him and get NOTHING for it - talking about Royce.

1 person likes this.
  7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

the terrence williams trade lol

that guy was royce white before royce white

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

my top three for Morey, its argueable the order of 1/2 but here goes

1. Royce White
    2. Terrence Williams
    3. Ariza contract

Although with Ariza I can sorta forgive him because he managed to get out of that one pretty well.

I disagree however with some who suggested we should've used the Royce pick on Sullinger. Dude had a history of back issues at a very young age, and that is a massive red flag.

Like he's gotten Harden and Howard. What more do we want lol.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is why I always defend Adelman when the revisionists try to blame Adelman for his departure. If my boss told me that the only way to keep my job was to get rid of the men under me who had gone to war with me, I'd walk away too. I am almost sure that Morey knew exactly what Adelman would do if he put that condition down.

The Rockets organization has gotten rid of three consecutive good coaches with less than honorable ways. I'd blame it more on Les Alexander than on Morey though.

10. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

I wish we still had patterson :(

11. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Hmmm, how about Stat?
    I know his injuries and all.

But sometimes its just what if.
    Maybe it could save both Stat and Yao's career?

12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

The inability to retain Dragic is Morey's biggest mistake, even over the drafting of Royse White. White was a weekly migraine headache, but far from materially affecting this team's playoffs aspirations.

Dragic is fearless, unafraid to take shots even under duress, a quality that Lin has not shown with any frequency. Bev, while also fearless, lacks the natural talent Dragic and Lin have.

In conclusion, unless there is epiphany from our pgs, this shall remain a position of weakness along with the PF position, which will be exposed against better competition in the playoffs.

13. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

signing David Andersen, the worst basketball player in the history of basketball

14. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

I think Morey should not have the poison pill in both Asik's and Lin's contract. We are now being handicapped in finding teams willing to take them. They are good players but why poison pill for Asik's contract. It is not like NY trying to match Lin's contract. Now Asik is basicaly untradeable because of the bad pill.

15. shastarocket

^ Or perhaps we are reading too much into what the media determines are "untradeable" contracts

If other teams are so afraid of paying over the "value" of Asik and Lin, than why would so many owners be willing to do buy-outs AKA pay for an empty roster spot?

Orlando -> Glen Davis
    Hawks -> Antawn Jamison
    Philly -> Earl Clark
    Philly -> Danny Granger
    Charlotte -> Ben Gordon
    NYK -> Artest
    NYK -> Udrih
    Kings -> Roger Mason Jr.
    Bucks -> Sessions

Of these 9 completed/likely buy-outs, 5 are from "small-market" squads

#115 shastarocket, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  16. tadahito

tadahito Member

I could understand taking a shot at Royce White when Morey had a bunch of 1st round picks. But taking Royce White 2 spots ahead of Terrance Jones makes Morey look really stupid.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

College Royce White was a beast and possibly a top 5 pick.
    Anyway, i think Morey screwed us in the 2012 draft and both Dragic and Lowry situations.

18. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

#BeWell will always be #1. Morey knew it was a big risk. He took it on and lost.
    1st Rounder for T. Williams #2.

IMHO, Letting Dragic go doesn't even rank top 10. It was a clear decision and the only decision for Morey to make at the time when looking a few years forward. Do you jeopardise the whole franchise or one single player when that single player isn't a superstar to be built around?

19. StandontheLake

I don't think drafting White turned out too bad, really.

I think we would have had to move that pick to clear capspace for Dwight anyway, right? If we'd passed on Royce, maybe we could have traded him for a second round pick or two, similar to TRob, but the effect of the pick really wasn't all that bad.

The worst thing is that if we hadn't taken him, the Mavs probably would've, which would've been nice.

Cutting, and then overpaying, Lin, is unfortunate. Could have kept him, then likely signed him to a much cheaper contract for a similar time span. And it would've improved the Knicks pick used to draft Royce! If lin is never cut by the Rockets, he never rescues the Knicks, and instead of using that pick to draft Royce, maybe it's used to draft Drummond. Though actually, if the pick was top 5 he probably would've drafted TRob, and then Morey's greatest mistake would be using a top 5 pick on TRob.

TWill trade.

20. tadahito

tadahito Member

Dragic in '11-'12 with Rockets as starter: 49% FG, 18 ppg.
    Dragic in '11-'12 with Rockets off bench: 42% FG, 7 ppg.

Dragic would have a reduced role on this current Rockets team, so there's no guarantee that he could put up all-star numbers here.
    The Pelicans' GM paid two lottery picks for "all-star" Jrue Holiday, now they're screwed for the next few years.

90% of Dragic-lovers on this board can't even name 2 guys on Phoenix's starting frontline.