1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What 1 move do you wish Daryl Morey could have a do over on?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Here is the issue, you don't really anticipate trades going through like the Harden one. Morey accumulated assets so if the opportunity arose, he'd be in a position to pounce, and he did.

Now in hinesight, Dragic is all well and good. But Lin was brought to the team for two main reasons imo. They wanted to generate some buzz after bombing out of the playoffs yet again (thanks LOWRY), and Morey at the time wanted to maintain flexibility to go after a REAL STAR, not Dragic, in 2015. This is clear as day, at least it should be, and if this isn't obvious to then subconcious bias exists.

Now do I think a healthy Lin running and gunning to the beat of his own drum could put up good numbers? Absolutely. There is enough evidence there to suggest it given his performances without Harden, and 20 odd games without a ball dominant player, with the numbers he was putting up and positive team netRtg. If 20-odd games is enough to declare that Beverley is a superior fit with the starters, then watching Lin average 23/8/3 on 49% shooting and 45% from 3 is more than enough, and to suggest otherwise is simply hypocritical.

Now given Lin's inconsistencies and obvious struggles to mesh and find a happy medium of aggression with Harden, and the all-star performances of Dragic THIS season, a very VERY strong argument can be made.

But this game isn't played with a crystal ball, and at the time, to sacrifice flexibility that would've been necessary to go after a real bonafide star on a 2nd tier player in Dragic would've been silly given our post-Yao run on the mediocrity treadmill.

1 person likes this.
  2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Hands down...resign Dragic, don't sign Lin.

3. ling ling

ling ling Member

Should have gone all in and traded for Ricky Rubio.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Believing 3rd time was the charm and tripling down on an injured Yao.

I don't think it was his decision alone, and what he said about "not being to replace Yao" was true, but we could've started rebuilding 3 years sooner.

Maybe with Lerbun and Keving, it would've been futile, but who knows?

5. Nook

Nook Member

Your ignorance is annoying.

Don't you have a pyramid scheme to push.

6. yummyhawtsauce

Trade lin for dragic? would that work

7. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

I wish Morey never made the 2nd offer to Jeremy. New York would have matched the 1st offer.

I don't care who else Morey would have signed, but I wish Jeremy never signed with the Rockets.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Hooray Knicks! Hooray Jeremy!

9. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

1. Dragic
    2. Royce White
    3. James Johnson

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought Adelman wanted say in his assistants.

Was there any evidence that Adelman forced Morey into any of his personnel moves?

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden is the only Euro who is white. :grin:

12. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I've heard that excuse over and over again. We should've done more of a background on this kid; he's had a criminal past. And really addressed the elephant in the room--anxiety.

It's a swing for the fences pick-- I get it. But also a potential lawsuit.

I fault the Rockets for not seeing his character issues, and multiply them when you factor in the paycheck.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree with this. The way Morey acquired the assists to get Harden and lure Dwight here was pure genius. But I don't see how keeping Dragic for less money would have prevented any of what Morey did to get either James or Dwight.

14. crash5179

Do you underrate them because they are white?

15. crash5179

As I recall, Daryl Morey only required one revision to Adelman's coaching staff and that was the addition of Chris Finch. He was not trying to take anyone away he just wanted to make an addition.

Adelman refused and wanted the revolving door with players to stop. Morey would not agree to that. Adelman walked.

16. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Not according to Adelman:

1 person likes this.
  17. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Does anyone knows if lin contract can be bought out? Would that affect the salary cap if any?

18. crash5179

I stand corrected. DM did want to take someone out of the coaching staff.

19. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Trading for Pau Gasol.

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

This was big to me. I hated how we compounded the mistake by not drafting Deandre Jordan.

Having Yao break down as Jordan's game developed was very painful to watch

1 person likes this.