1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What 1 move do you wish Daryl Morey could have a do over on?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

A couple things come to mind; signing Dragic, not drafting Royce White and taking Sullinger instead, re-signing Artest, and keeping Batum.

2. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Looking back now, the 3 caravans that the rockets deployed in search of star free agent was funny :grin:

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

True. The golden rule of Lin is if you don't love him, you must hate him.

4. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

No one can say with 100% certainty that any of the "on going" moves is a mistake.

Dragic is an on going move. No hindsight until after 2015. Harden signing is an on going move. Dwight signing is an on going move. Signing Lin and Asik are still in progress. Who is it to say that any of them will stay healthy for the remaining of their contracts??

Unless you are Nostradamus, there is no hindsight when the results are further into the future, What may seem like the worst move now just might turn out to be the best ever and vice versa.

One thing for certain, picking Royce was one of the worst moves by Morey. Using hindsight is perfectly valid b/c the results are already in--not only he is a total bust, he cost us two picks + cash, assets which can possibly parlay into a 3rd star.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'll go ahead and say it if no one else will. Drafting Rudy Gay and then handing him off to Memphis STRAIGHT UP for Shane Battier.

Granted, Morey was not official GM at the time; he was only acting GM while Dawson taught him the ropes on his way out. And I'm sure JVG probably had at least a 50% control over this move because he wanted a scrappy vet to pair with his two theoretical superstars. But Yao and McGrady were not your prototypical superstars; i.e. the more you rode on their backs the more their bodies broke down.

At the time it was such a huge dropoff in talent level. I and many of my friends watching the draft just cringed at such a sight. It was also emblematic of a preference for vets that would end up being JVG's demise. Say what you want about JVG -> Adelman -> McHale but we have been more willing with the new regimes to actually develop some of our young talent.

Finally, I know Morey said if we didn't get Battier we would have got Sefolosha. Again, hindsight and the debilitating problem with being run by a defensive-minded coach. Fact of the matter is most of us hardcore fans were giddy that Gay fell into our laps. He was a potential #1 overall draft candidate at that time. His talent level rose to the top, although it never peaked at superstardom. Having him on that team, in theory, with Yao and McGrady would have precluded us having to reach to get Artest. We would have been a much better team from 2007-2009 and title contenders those years.

6. CertifiedTroll

Trade players for Paul George before he was good.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

I wish he gave me that iPad instead of to Chris Bosh.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Well, if there's a silver lining it's that the word is definitely out that the Vipers are the place to go if you want the best shot of getting to the NBA absent the draft. Every time a team steals one of our guys, our "farm system" becomes more of a magnet for talent.

9. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

After all these years, how have people not realized that Rudy Gay has never been a better player than Shane Battier?

10. Zergling

Zergling Member

Also, Morey should've hired me when I applied a few years ago.

11. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

we can't has both?

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I agree about Dragic being the move I'd take a do-over on. This team with Dragic is a strong finals contender, instead of a fringe one.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Also, Rudy Gay is garbage and I'm still happy that Morey got Battier for him instead of letting that scrub poison our organization.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Amazing people still post nonsense like this.

Every team Rudy Gay is on gets noticeably better the second he leaves.

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Ariza with the playoff-juiced contract

16. Bornz

Bornz Member

Keeping Nicolas Batum using him in a trade package for MWP in hindsight was a move that woulda been really nice right now. Batum on this squad would be amazing

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Dragic is the one that got away, but remember the Rockets had J. Lin for chump change and let him walk too. Like I have said, Morey is not the Wizard-Genius he is imagined to be on CF. Without the Harden "coup," and the Dwight miracle he would be on the hot seat with how many consecutive 9th round finishes? Before those acquisitions he mainly just kept shuffling the deck without appreciable success. But, in his defense, I guess it is O.K. to lead the league in strike outs if you eventually hit a couple of game winning home runs.

18. basketballholic

Drafting White over Sully.

19. JD88

JD88 Member

Should have drafted Sullinger.

Anybody who follows college ball knew he would be a top 5 player from that class.

Back issues? So? Who doesnt have back issues?

Stupid move.

20. JD88

JD88 Member

Sully wasnt just good in college.

He was DOMINATE. As in, unstoppable.