1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WFAN-New York report last night

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Oct 10, 2001.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

For what its worth, last night on WFAN radio in New York, they reported that the Knicks were in contact as recent as yesterday with the GSW regarding Adonal Foyle. The report went on to say that if the Knicks get their medical exeption (4 mil or so), they would trade for Foyle (perhaps giving up Ward or some other garbage). If this were to happen, the GSW would match Jackson's offer and keep him. The story is backed up on ESPN Insider as well this morning.

Sorry...the medical exception would be for Larry Johnson..i forgot to add that.

2. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I just read a headline saying LJ was gonna take a buyout and retire. I would assume that this would mean no medical exemption for the Knicks.

Anybody?

3. NJRocket

They can still apply for the exception...in fact they already have. The exception the got for Luc Longley, which was 2.9 mil, expired a week ago. If they get this one, and supposedly they have a decent chance of getting it, could be 4.9 mil if the NBA feelsl that this is a career ending injury for Johnson

4. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Thanx for the info.

Bummer. I'd really like to see Jackson come here.

5. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Then the warriors end up with a big time disgruntled player to really liven up the locker room. It could happen where he stays but might be difficult.

You would think they would not keep him but who knows.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If Johnson was "injured" last year (and he was, right?), then any chance for an exception would have ended on Oct. 1st...same as Longley.

7. writhe

writhe Member

The crispee has spoken. Praise him.

8. NJRocket

Longley's expired because I believe you only have a certain amt of time to use a medical exception once you receive it...and the Knicks didn't use it in time. As far as LJ's injury....he was injured last year but it wasn't until prior to preseason camp that the Knicks made it known that he may retire due to injury. In fact...I think he failed his physical as recently as a couple of days ago.

To answer your question, they have to GET the exception before it can expire

Also...LJ officially retired today so getting the 4.9 mil for a creer ending injury just became more of a possibility

#8 NJRocket, Oct 10, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2001
  9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I think you missed what crisp said NJ. New York can't get an exception this year for an injury that happened last year, especially with the deadline passing. The exception they got for Luc's ran out so quick because they waited so long, close to Oct.1st to apply for it. If they had gotten it a week or 2 earlier the deadline would have still have been Oct. 1st if I'm reading this correctly. I think New York's chance at an exception for LJ may have passed since his injury occured at about the same relative time as Luc's.

10. NJRocket

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

True, but not true. There are two timetables for exceptions: one for Mo' injuries that occur between July1-Nov 30th, and one for injuries after Dec 1st. Mo's timetable is given 45 days to use an exception. The other timetable is expires on the Oct. 1st immediately following the injury. That is why Longley's only had like 3 more days to use.

Johnson's chance expired.

12. NJRocket

They have definitely applied for it.....I doubt they would bother applying if there was zero chance of getting it

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Crispee's right. MoTay suffered an injury during the offseason; Johnson's "injury" (more like a chronic back condition) has been in place for years. LJ's condition is no worse today than in it was during the Knicks' last game of the season. I see nothing difficult about this concept.

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

They probably applied for it because it wouldn't hurt to apply for it. They figure they might get lucky and the NBA would give them one.

15. NJRocket

I hope thats the case because I dont want anything to get in the way of keeping M Jax...I'll keep you posted if any news comes out up here

16. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Crispee....NY applied for the exception. That's all there is to it.

They may not get it, but they obviously think there's a chance. Do you really think there going to take the going in position that he injured it last year? They've probably stated that he reaggravated recently, and that's why he's retiring. It's not like he popped some ligament somewhere.....I think the actual timing of his "injury" can be a little bit more subjective.....obviously, NY thinks so too.

17. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Of course there's a chance... they're New York!

18. NJRocket

The only logical argument in our favor is that with Camby, Thomas, knight, Spoon, and harrington...why the Knicks would want another mediocre big man is totally beyond me. Plus the fact that Van Gundy only uses an 8 man rotation.

19. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Reading this article in the NY Post gives me the impression that LJ could've continued playing. He held out for the buyout & NY knew about his injury all summer. If I remember correctly, didn't Crispee say, that once a team knows that a player has a career ending injury, that's when the clock starts ticking? This just sounds like NY wanted to move LJ out, so they could get a player with more durability. Didn't Barkley play with a chronic back injury for a couple of years? If NY gets this exception, maybe we should buy Cato's contract out, so that we can replace him with a more durable player. :rolleyes:

Nowhere, in this article, does it indicate that any doctor proclaimed this as a career ending injury. He was able to still play, albeit in a lot of pain.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/3317.htm

BUY-BUY! LJ
    DECIDES TO RETIRE

By MARC BERMAN
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LARRY JOHNSON

October 10, 2001 -- Larry Johnson will retire today, according to sources. The Knicks have bought out LJ's contract which has three years and $28 million left on it.
    The Knicks will make the announcement today that they have waived the team's co-captain. A source said LJ will receive the entire $28 million in a complicated payout schedule. Johnson, who is 32, has suffered from a disk problem in his back for six years.

The Knicks had wanted to buy out LJ's contract all summer but the 10-year veteran resisted even seeing a doctor and wanted to give it a go for one more season unless he got a full buyout. The Knicks originally had offered in August to pay just half of Johnson's contract. The Knicks hope to be reimbursed 80 percent by insurance, and the club could gain an injury exception worth more than $4 million to sign a free agent.

Once his chronic back did not hold up well during his physical the day before training camp, the Knicks decided to leave LJ behind when they went to Charleston, S.C., and announced he would begin the year on the injured list as he rehabbed his back.

The Knicks are well-stocked at power forward with Kurt Thomas, Clarence Weatherspoon and Othella Harrington. Though LJ was a Jeff Van Gundy favorite, he was no longer in their plans. Johnson had been a Knick since 1996, obtained for Anthony Mason.

Johnson's retirement leaves the Knicks with just one captain - Allan Houston. It is likely either Latrell Sprewell or Mark Jackson - or both - will be named as captains to replace LJ. While in Charleston, several players spoke of how Johnson's vocal demeanor was missed. But his game had been in decline the past two seasons.

Johnson shot a career-low 41.1 percent last season, many of his runners near the basket hitting off the iron because of his failure to elevate. He also lost confidence in his 3-point shot, a weapon that had proven invaluable during many playoff games during better days.

Johnson missed 14 of the final 22 regular-season games and did not play in the playoffs - a first-round defeat to Toronto. The Knicks did not want to live another season with Johnson's durability issues.

Yesterday, LJ's nameplate atop his locker at the Garden was missing, replaced by newcomer Shandon Anderson.

"I don't know if it's permanent," Anderson said.

It is.

#19 Hottoddie, Oct 10, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2001
  20. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Charleston, SC, represent represent!

I remember working at Blossom (as a baker). One night, Oak and Ewing came up to the glass to watch my boss and I work. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick. |..|, shocka brah dude.

.|..|   |..|.
    .\..\   \..\.
    ./../   /../.
    .|..|   |..|.