1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Western Conference Finals] Spurs vs. Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, May 19, 2008.

1. blender

blender Member

IMO without Gasol (and Fisher), and with a healthy Bynum, I'd rank them in the bottom half of the playoff bracket, above the Nuggets and Warriors but a little below the Rockets. They had a hot start in the beginning but I think they would've worn down by the second half of the season.

But the reality is they got both Fisher and Gasol, and Bynum's returning next season. They'll be one of the favorites to win it all for the next few seasons.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I hate the Lakers so much, especially their fans like Dyan Cannon, Jack Nicholson and all of those other Hollywood fakes. Pisses me off to no end to see the cameras show them sitting in the stands. It's like they think they are some kind of "superfans". :rolleyes: Also add the smugness of Phil Jackson, the asshatness of Kobe Bryant, how they ripped off the league by getting Gasol, etc. etc. etc.

Yet my hatred for the Spurs has no bounds. I am so sick and tired of them! I honestly would be pulling for the Jazz if they were playing the Spurs in a series! :eek: :eek:

I am so tired of their goddam style of play. So I am gladly rooting for the Lakers in this series. :(

I'm not fond of the Pistons or Celtics either (but I want the Pistons to win that series)

Levels of grossness in possible NBA Finals matchups (out of 10, with 10 being the grossest):

Boston vs San Antonio - grossness level is 9, 2 teams that will struggle to score 80 points as well as one of the most overrated teams in history in the Celtics with the unbelievable disappearing Ray Allen and the "heart of a champion" Garnett despite this being only his SECOND conference finals appearance. And Spurs?? Well, we won't even GO THERE with my contempt and disgust for that franchise.

Boston vs LA Lakers - grossness level is 8, everybody will be talking about how this brings back memories of Bird vs Magic, blech. However, this is the matchup that David Stern is hoping for. Begrudgingly, it is probably the best matchup of the possible 4 - it's just too bad that I can't get into rooting for either team.

Detroit vs LA Lakers - grossness level is 8, mainly because the Pistons' style reminds me too much of the Spurs - boring and bland and then you have the Lakers factor in this.

Detroit vs San Antonio - grossness level is 10 - outside of Detroit and San Antonio, is ANYONE else going to watch these trainwrecks of offenses?

...sigh, looks like another year that I barely watch any of the NBA Finals.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You will know there's something to this if we see Joey Crawford reffing any of the games.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I hope this happens:

At the final seconds of game 7, Lakers by 2. Ginobili drives to the hoop, gets clobbered. He misses the layup. The refs swallow the whistles because Stern has told them to make sure the Lakers will play Boston in the Finals. The ball is tipped around under the basket. Odom hits it all the way out to the 3 point line. Horry is there... catch... shoot... the buzzer...

5. ibm

ibm Member

then stern will put himself on suicide watch. lol. or horry will be forced to retire since he will have "drug violations" later on...

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Spurs in 7. They looked good most of last night. I think they are hitting their stride just in time...again.

I really don't care who gets to the Finals as long as Detroit doesn't......boring.

7. ibm

ibm Member

boston, the way it is, is not exactly much "entertaining", either.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Boston can become the first champion who never wins a game on the road in the playoffs.

9. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

You watch the Rockets, right?

Detroit scores more PPG than the Rocks; and San Antonio, only ONE PPG less.

Stop reading opinions, and actually watch some basketball; you might actually enjoy it.

10. ibm

ibm Member

11. Manny Ramirez

Yes, I do and I dare you will find a bigger critic of Gumby ball more than me. Following the Rockets while he was coaching tested my fanship or whatever you want to call it pretty severely. Now that Adelman is coaching, we may actually call watching a Rockets game a "work of art" instead of something ugly.
    Good for those teams, I really don't care. As I said earlier, I am not a fan of the grind-it-out style that both the Pistons and Spurs like to play. The only reason why Detroit scored more than the Rockets is that Adelman couldn't really play the offense he wanted to because he lacked the personnel to pull it off (thanks Jeff Van Gundy!).
    Uh, I don't need to read this board or any other place to tell you that I despise both the Spurs and the Pistons and the way they play basketball. So, YOU need to stop telling other people what to think if they don't agree with your opinion. Who are you?? Hitler??

And if it is the Spurs and Pistons playing in the finals, I hope you enjoy watching along with all of Detroit and San Antonio. The rest of us will find something else to do and no, we don't need to read it from the media to figure that one out. All we have to do is watch about 5 minutes of the Pistons and Spurs to figure that one out.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Spurs are in their annual "we are going to the finals and we will run over anyone in our way" zone. No one has an answer for Kobe, but the Spurs will beat the Lakers in seven. I predict they will win the first game. Their experience, coaching, teamwork, and clutch shooting may take them to their first consecutive championship. They rolled a really good Hornets team on their home court. The locomotive on is on the tracks with a full head of steam.

13. ibm

ibm Member

i'm not a fan of van gundy ball either. but this past season our ppg was actually down from last year iirc. what's your take on that?

14. Manny Ramirez

Read what I posted earlier...Adelman didn't have the right personnel to run his offense or the offense he wanted to run. The points were down because Gumby's personnel were trying to run an offense they weren't used to running or even capable of running. When Adelman finally abandoned the idea of changing the offense, we started playing better. But once again, that was due to the personnel that he has had playing the offensive system that was there before he got there. I am hoping that he along with Morey will continue to get the right personnel in there and that the aesthetic aspect of watching the Rockets should get a helluva lot better.

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Bowen wanted to watch Battier's video to learn how to defend Kobe! :D

16. pli777

pli777 Member

I don't know why does it matter that they robbed Gasol from Memphis. The matter of the fact is that they are in the conference final and possibly on pace to win it all this year.

If we had some major trade this year, would us fans really care about whether how we came up as a winner in the trade or we actually won the trophie at the end of June. At the end of the day, it just shows what a good job the Laker organization had done in regards to player acquisition, full stop.

17. lastmanstanding

And our defense was better. Explain that.

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

derek fisher might wanna work a pass in somewhere along the way. jacking up contested jumpers early in the clock and going all the way on a fastbreak with kobe on the wing and then blowing the layup is not good.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

dfish is one of the main reasons they are this good. phil gives him a lot of freedom on offense.

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

how fortunate is kobe right now? all of his teammates are stepping up and he can have the energy to take over anytime he wants. he doesn't have to work hard for anything.