1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Western Conference Finals] Spurs vs. Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, May 19, 2008.

1. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

I saw this on FakeGM forum, where it says Lakers might go after Ron Ron with their MLE this off season. If they do get him, then this league is ****ing rigged. They get Ron and Gasol for like peanuts.

2. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

The lakers were one of the top teams in the west before the Gasol trade. Had Bynum stayed healthy then they would have not needed to make the trade and would have been fine with Bynum. Since when is Gasol this great superstar player??? He's a solid fit for them, but people act like the lakers would be awful without him - it is their way of taking credit away from the MVP! Kobe carries this team - Gasol is merely a role player.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Bynum can't score or pass like gasol, and the lakers are not a good defensive team. I think gasol is much better fit than bynum.

4. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

yeh a role player that can get you 20 and 10, and even bust out for the occasional 30+ points in a playoff game. :rolleyes:

5. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Yea that one hella role player.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Uh yeah, and the Rockets would have won the championship IF Yao had stayed healthy. But he didn't. So talking about the Lakers IF Bynum hadn't gone down makes no sense at all. They picked up Pau after his injury and that rescued their season. Simple as that!

Who said Gasol was "this great superstar player"? Nobody. But he has been the major difference-maker in the Lakers season. Without him, Kobe has to carry the world on his shoulders for the 2nd half of the season (which he wouldn't have done) and Odom would have continued to struggle as a 2nd fiddle (which he isn't good at). Pau took a tremendous amount of pressure off both guys. Without him, I don't think the Lakers make the playoffs.

I agree Bynum was coming into his own. I've been a big cheerleader for him the last 2 seasons. Without a good inside post player like Pau or Bynum, the Lakers are dead in the watter. Without Bynum's injury, Pau wouldn't have been a season-saver for the Lakers.

Consider this: What if Pau had been given to the Rockets instead of the Lakers? IMO, we would be right where they are now: Hosting the Western Conference Finals.

7. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

New Orleans blew their chances...

To me this WCF series should be the NBA Finals. These two clubs have combined for 6 of the last 8 titles.

I wonder if there will be an Horry hit on the MVP?

Who gets the calls wins.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I wonder if David Stern will advise the refs to call the games very tightly against the Spurs and Pistons. The league can't afford another Finals matchup with those two teams. Hell, it can't afford the Spurs in Finals period.

9. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

That was the best final for the past decade at least!

Seven games; overtime; Horry's miracles; Manu playing out of his mind - Detroit's starting 5 NEVER quitting.

You liked watching the Lakers dismantle the Nets or the Sixers?

You liked watching the Cavs get rolled?

Lakers Detroit was no ballet!

Ugh indeed.

10. ibm

ibm Member

good post.

don't understand where people got the concept from that a spurs-pistons finals will be boring. media bias?

11. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Spurs vs Pistons finals will be a rating nightmare, actually any finals with Spurs in it is a nightmare for TV rating.

If this case indeed happens, I will defnitely skip the entire Finals.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Game 5 of the '05 Finals was a classic, no doubt. But the first 4 games were all blowouts, Game 6 was controlled by the Pistons, and Game 7 had the Spurs running away with it in the 4th quarter.

The other reason the Spurs are a ratings nightmare is because they're BORING!!! Even the Nets series in '03 that went 6 games was borderline unwatchable.

13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Spurs in 6. Manu will be the MVP.

14. ibm

ibm Member

for the last 10 years or so,

lakers' opponents when they're 3-peating
    indy
    philly
    nj

spurs' opponents of their 4 titles
    ny
    nj
    detroit
    cleveland

with the lakers-detroit and mavs-heat finals in b/w.

now tell me why only those involving spurs are different and "boring". the ratings were low because the media bias led people to think it would be boring.

same goes to, for example, a shaq-td comparison. td's style is considered by many - "boring". now how's shaq different and less "boring"? all shaq did in his hey days was to bulldoze opponents (often getting away with a foul) for a dunk (and occasionally a hook) and then to miss ft's while cursing.

someone please tell me, too, that the style of the current celtics is indeed - entertaining?

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

at this point spurs all the way man. i hope they drill the lakers into submission with horry hitting another top of the arc 3 to win a game at the buzzer at staples. I wonder if they will be chanting his name in the same way they did 6 years ago.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Why anyone in the world besides a select few in the NBA offices worry or care about television ratings is beyond me.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Because it is more fun to watch a series that other people are watching than to watch one that most people are apathetic about.

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

More power to you, I suppose. I could care less whether I'm one of 100 million people watching or if I'm one of only five watching -- whether I enjoy it is dependent on the teams and quality of basketball on the floor.

19. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

the 03 Finals was the worst Finals in NBA History.

20. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Imagine how pissed off the NBA will be if the Finals are a Detroit San Antonio match up?