1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Western Conference Finals] (1)Golden State vs. (3)Oklahoma City

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, May 12, 2016.

?

Who wins?

1. Warriors in 4

8 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. Warriors in 5

42 vote(s)
    14.2%
  3. Warriors in 6

77 vote(s)
    26.0%
  4. Warriors in 7

27 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Thunder in 4

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Thunder in 5

9 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. Thunder in 6

85 vote(s)
    28.7%
  8. Thunder in 7

37 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. Other (Specify)

7 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Stagnant offense? Durant missed about 5 shots he normally hits. They should have beat them by double digits, on the road after being down a ton.

That is how Okc plays.

I'm just not sure I can take you seriously when your complaint is Durant and Westbrook got all the shots down the stretch.

2. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

This just shows that no matter what seed we were, 6, 7, or 8, the Rockets would've gotten demolished anyways.

3. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

13pts in the 4th, 7 TOs from Curry, only 8 shots from Barnes after he went 3/3 in the first few minutes, there basically is your game.

I know Curry is great at shooting 3pts, but when you got switch with those biggies on you, why in the world you want to give up the ball to someone else who was guarded? He did that several times with Adams, Kanter switched on him. He should attack them off the dribble, get a layup, or pass to an open teammate.

I expect to see a much aggressive Curry on Wednesday of the PnR, attack the basket more instead of settling for 3s.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Okc will blow GS out in one game in this series... might be game 2.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

they're going to play that way regardless because that's one of okc's strengths and that's what works for them. That in no way should change win or lose as long as they are both on the same team. Everything opens up based on what those two are capable of doing individually

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Saying "that's the way OKC plays" makes little to no sense. Obviously, everything they do on the offensive end will flow through Durant and Westbrook. But every possession ending in a shot by one of those two, when the shots aren't falling, is nonsensical.

They have shooters and guys who can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. Capable big men who can score when setup. Durant and Westbrook can breakdown any defense at will... When the shots aren't falling, draw the help and find the open man. When all else fails, attack the cup and make the refs blow the whistle.

This isn't a novel concept, and frankly I'm shocked that people are dismissing material from the first day's lecture of a Basketball 101 course in favor of "that's just how OKC plays." OKC is going to have to be more strategic if they want to best GS in this series.

Earlier I said ISOball wouldn't work, I need to qualify that a bit. With players as talented as Durant and Westbrook it can work. But it has to also result in key buckets down the stretch from guys like Ibaka, Adams, Kanter, Waiters, etc.

When the chips are down, and they absolutely need a bucket... We all know who should and will be taking those shots. But when you're looking to put a team away, you should be coming at them from all angles. The defense shouldn't know who to guard. They'll square up with Durant/Westbrook; and Waiters, Ibaka and co can sucker punch them from behind. TKO. That's how they run away with the game last night, instead of going down to the wire.

They snuck GS last night. And all power to them... I was glad to see it. But they should know that it likely won't go down like that again.

7. mig0s

mig0s Member

10/30 Durant.... jesus lol

8. mig0s

mig0s Member

He's a foreigner and didn't mean any harm by it. No one should be offended by his comment.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

"that's the way OKC plays" was meant to be the same thing as if I was saying that's OKC's identity. It's established, gotten them to this point, and won't change. maybe that should have been said instead to avoid any miscommunication.

KD missed 4-5 straight shots at the end, yet made a huge shot to make it a two possession game with less than 30 seconds left. That's just what they're going to live with. Can they become more versatile offensively by letting others work, sure. That's always going to be the criticism with this team as long as they don't win a title but its not those guys can get going without playing through KD/WB first.

Like I said previously, they're all providing good production in their respective roles so far and at good moments right now throughout this run. You're pushing for a more diverse attack which is great for teams like the Spurs and GS and I don't disagree with that approach but okc has their own identity that works for them. Lets not forget the last time both these guys were healthy in the playoffs they were in the finals. Hopefully a great series continues here

10. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I think Donovan has a lot to do with them winning last night, especially on a night when Durant/Westbrook were playing at their best. Key adjustments made by coaching that helped OKC:

- Leaving the OKC bigs out there even when GS put in their small ball death squad

- Letting Durant play the whole second half. Durant didn't want Donovan to take him out and Donovan acquiesced.

- Cutting down on the turnovers in the second half, especially unforced.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

What a glorious victory by OKC last nite. Very sweet to see GSW eat it. More please!

12. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

2 out of the 3 were without Curry, what's your point?

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Are you saying OKC didn't do that, because they did those things too. Ironically those things usually came from iso'ing Durant and Westbrook.

ISO ball works period, they beat the Spurs with it straight up, they have the perfect personnel to iso every possession

three up god awful threes also isn't suppose to work, look at GSW

14. what

what Member

Only reason I am TORN about golden state is the fact if they do get knocked out by okc, the old school will be like annoying mocking birds. Micheal and the old school need to be taken down a peg.

Heck I doubt that they will give okc any credit for winning the championship if that happens.

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Curry and his warriors are breaking down that's why injuries are catching up to them

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

00:18.6 - Turnover: Traveling - Russell Westbrook
    Incorrect Non-Call
    Westbrook (OKC) turns toward the referee to request a timeout as he slides his pivot foot. The referee is focused on a possible take foul or timeout and misses the travel violation.

Q4 00:07.8 - Turnover: Traveling - Stephen Curry
    Incorrect Non-Call
    Curry (GSW) gathers the ball on his left foot, establishing his pivot foot. He then lifts it and steps before his field goal attempt.

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/05/L2M-OKC-GSW-5-16-16.pdf

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Warriors will probably win the next 2 games convincingly.

18. MikeDD

MikeDD New Member

In New Zealand the ‘m’ word is a very common term of endearment for children with too much energy, and is related to “monkey bars” as the standard name for gymnastics-type bars in playgrounds.

NZ is not immune to racial problems, but at a much lower level than USA.

Mike
    Kiwi

#459 MikeDD, May 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019
  19. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Is this the first healthy elite level team that they've faced in the playoffs? Should be interesting.

20. Handles

Handles Member

Of course it is. Always has been human nature to hate the top. Players, teams, billionaires - all have their fair share of hate.