1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Western Cinema] Leonardo DiCaprio & Tom Hardy in Alejandro G. Iñárritu's 'The Revenant'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Everything was great but the story was a bit boring to me. Way too many coincidences, completely took me out of the movie and just watching the insane cinematography, sound design, and a lot of times the acting was tremendous. Inarritu is changing the landscape right now, only going to get bigger and better.

Average Leo movie IMO. He's been better in his career, and he wasn't the best even just in this movie. He didn't pull off the father angle very well. His character didn't get me to care about him and that's more a writing problem. In fact I was kind of rooting for even more things to happen to him because the cinematography was executed so well.

I don't regret watching it, but wouldn't watch it again except in highlights form.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

if you like the way movies "look" you should never miss a Lubezki film

#102 ipaman, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  3. i3artow i3aller

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

especially on the big screen, right? I will probably go see it again while it's out. Just incredible to look at every frame. No opportunity or shot is wasted. It's like a 3-our art gallery.

5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

He basically didn't start to come into his own imo until he started working with Malick. New World, Tree of Life, To The Wonder and Knight of Cups (available via torrent in a pretty good 1080p rip). You can see a bit of his current style in Y Tu Mama Tambien but Terrence Malick is when it all came together.

He also did Reality Bites, forgot about that one. Made Houston look real purty.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9FLLYpUnuwQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Me and my friend saw it, we both felt somewhat let down in a way. I think Cooper and Murph ruined it for future movies by how amazing their father-child relationship was.

I felt nothing with him and his son, there was too many flashbacks with them two shoving it down our throats.

The scenery was amazing but no theatre amc or otherwise had any imax showing....?? That was disappointing.

The story in itself didnt hit any cords, just another revenge story where everything was predictible. There was no surprises at all!

I was really excited about it and wished there was more fighting instead of just discovery channel survival, dragged a bit...

Couldn't understand Hardy much either..

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Didn't realize how many of his movies I'd already watched. Fantastic. Tree of Life is an insane piece of cinematography.

Even this ad:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lSggaxXUS8k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Buck Turgidson

You know it's essentially a true story, right?

9. i3artow i3aller

10. bigben69

bigben69 Member

It would've been a lot better if they used the story from the book but with the movies ending.

way too many flashback/dream sequences. He didn't even have a son or wife in the book. Also the French weren't enemy and no Indians following to find a girl

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

These awards are dumb, 86 people vote in the Golden Globes, it's a tiny sample which is why you get strange winners. Who cares what 86 strangers think about anything?

Fell asleep after 15 minutes of Revenant so can't speak to it beyond that.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Wow, what an incredible and brutal movie!

I don't see why everyone is trying to pit Leo vs Tom in this and who acted better. I thought they both did great in this.

Acting isn't just about having lines in English lol. In this movie
    Leo displays so many emotions, you see the despair, the anger, sadness, vengeance, happiness. I am not sure who else will be up for best actor but this is as good a shot as any for Leo to win it.

I had no idea the movie was almost 3 hours and it sure did not feel like 3 hours to me. The movie moved along quite well. As others have said the cinematography in this was incredible and really needs to be seen on the big screen.

14. i3artow i3aller

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/151746307" width="500" height="500" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <p><a href="https://vimeo.com/151746307">

15. TheresTheDagger

I saw this yesterday.

I would give it about a 7 out of 10. Obviously, the cinematography, stunts, and acting were top notch. The story is also compelling...but in the end it's just a very grim story that drags at times. Of course, the gorgeous scenery helps carry through these slow moments in the movie but it felt like much more could have been fleshed out with the characters before moving into the main story.

Also, much of the story is complete fiction. There is no evidence he had a "son" murdered by Fitzgerald. There was no Indian band killing trappers to find an indian chief's daughter Powaqa. It's been disputed whether Jim Bridger actually was one of the people who abandoned Hugh Glass. And lastly, when Glass finally did stumble upon Fitzgerald, it occurred at a fort in Nebraska, not the wilderness and Glass spared Fitzgerald's life because of the penalty for killing a US Soldier at the time (which Fitzgerald reportedly was).

I get movie "license" to liven up the story. But all things considered, these were some pretty large changes to a story purportedly "based on a true story".

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the film (if enjoyed is the right word). It certainly felt raw and real and showed me real life legends (Glass, Bridger) who are famous here in Montana where I live. Would recommend.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Saw it last night, and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Saw a lot of people being a little underwhelmed so my expectations were lowered, but I really thought it was great. Acting, directing, and camerawork were amazing.

Only issue I have is that it absolutely ran way too long by at least 30 minutes or so. By the end I kinda found myself just ready for it to be over rather than excited for the finish. Other than that...really great movie.

8.5/10 for me.

17. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Kind of hated it. Boring movie.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a man, I loved this movie...

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Exactly. And as a man who loves long back-packing trips, I doubly loved this movie.

And as a man who loves long back-packing trips with puncture wounds from native arrows, I triply loved this movie.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Agreed. They gave an Oscar to a guy who didn't speak much last year. Leo's expressions were fantastic.