1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Western Cinema] Leonardo DiCaprio & Tom Hardy in Alejandro G. Iñárritu's 'The Revenant'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jul 17, 2015.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think Depp could play most of those roles and has played roles like that. As good as DiCaprio was as Howard Hughes, I don't doubt that Depp could have done a better job.

I'm not talking about the roles Depp has chosen, because he has really made a ton of stinkers and lately been in movies that were definitely worse than ones Leo has been in.

I think Leo did Wolf of Wall Street, and I doubt that Depp would have been as good in that role.

I have to disagree with anything you said about Titanic. That film is worse than any movie Depp has ever done, and Leo was particularly awful in it.

Again I'm not saying Leo is incompetent, or awful. He can be, and he can also be great. Depp, at least lately, has been in far worse films, but even when he's not at his best, doesn't stink it up the way that DiCaprio has at times.

I don't mind seeing a film with Leo in the lead. Most of Depps movies I would dread seeing because they suck.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'll try to save his thread....

This movie is fantastic. So well done. So well acted. I loved every second of it. One of the best movies I've seen in a while.

Are there flaws? Sure in the way that not every movie is for everyone and no movie is perfect.

But from the soundtrack to the cinematography to the realness feeling of it. I know the shoot was supposed to be hell. You can really really see it pay off though. I've never felt so freezing watching a movie.

Leo was great. Certainly Oscar nom worthy. But I think Hardy stole the show. Dude was on point.

3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I agree Hardy acted better than Leo. That last scene of the movie when he looks directly into the camera, it's like practically begging for an Oscar.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Really liked it. This honestly should win Leo his first academy award. It's definitely a best picture contender as well.

All around well done. I didn't realize it was based off a book that was a true story. Amazing.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing we can agree upon, Depp and Leo better watch out, because Tom Hardy is coming. SO much presence on screen.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fantastic film. The 80 on Rotten Tomatoes is a travesty... Leo and Tom were phenomenal.

The camera was dazzling...

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Pretty good. Easily made my top 10 of 2015! 4.5/5!

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

This film was amazing. Made in the old school way of real story telling. I feel like this movie was made in the 70s or something. Everyone was great in this, my only gripe was that i could rarely understand what Tom Hardy was saying, but this is becoming increasingly common with all of his roles. I don't know what it is, i guess the guy always mumbles his lines or something. It's very distracting. He's still super talented, but he needs to work on that.

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

Lubezki is the GOAT DP at this point. Amazing. All in natural lighting too.

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

I've heard this about Hardy outperforming Leo in this film. I just don't see it. Hardy mumbles all his lines in the same voice he uses in all his movies lately. He did nothing different for me. Leo had to do so much more range for this film. Different language. Anguish. Rage. Fear. Dying, surviving etc. The screaming and crying etc. Hardy was just a tough guy ******* looking out for himself. There's not much range there compared to what he's done in his other roles...I just don't get it. This was all Leo.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

Leo is a playboy. Depp has become a family man and his choice of roles reflect that. You see it happen to a lot of great actors over time. Trying to make films their children can watch. I don't think Depp cares for it as much as Leo does. Depp is like T-mac and Leo is Kobe. Leo is better due to the obsession to the craft, but he will never be Daniel Day Lewis(MJ) and Depp never tried so hard to be.

1 person likes this.
  12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Uhhhh nooo

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Hardy did not outperform Leo. He was just a hard ass who mumbled lines.

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

That's him in every movie. Same character all the time.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Non-American actors who force themselves to do Southern accents are mostly cringe-worthy. Good example is Emily Blunt in Looper. Heath Ledger and Hardy mumble their accents.

With the wealth of actors available, I used to wonder why they don't just cast a good Englishman to play English roles and an American to play American roles. Either side have those accents that the other can seldom nail.

They should have cast Nic Cage to play John Fitzgerald.

16. Outlier

Outlier Member

Is Nic Cage still alive? I think he's washed up. Like Kobe.

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

They should just clone DDL and let him act every single role in every single movie ever from here on out. Damn. I hope he works with Alejandro Inarritu soon!

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just saw it tonight and I thought it was incredible. Say what y'all want about Hardy but he inhabits a character convincingly. I wasn't thinking all movie long about him acting. I was thinking about his (awful) character. Leonardo, however... as always... I kept thinking "oh he is REALLY giving it his all in his acting," instead of just appreciating his character.

Anyway, the soundtrack and cinematography alone would have been well worth the price and the time. Add the direction and the story, and it was just fantastic.

9/10

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Hardy was better than Leo. Leo only had like three lines in English. Hardy should get the Oscar. The bear brought it as well. Fine cameo by Smokey.

It really is a beautiful film but real talk. Alejandro is so far up his ass that it took him three hours to tell a 90 min story. His whole magical realism schtick is so pretentious. The floating bodies bs. He did it in Birdman and Biutiful too. That stuff works in literature and only in films when you go all in like in Amélie, Barton Fink or Pan’s Labyrinth. Not in a period 'realistic' western...nope.

6.5/10

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, I will admit I kind of saw the bear as the Academy itself, shaking Leonardo mercilessly.

And the tiny snippets of magical realism worked better for me here than in Biutiful of whatever, honestly. You have some gangrenous dude stumbling and crawling through sub-freezing temperatures on a broken leg, so it's believable that he has some weird visions, distorted memories, etc.

But then, I missed Birdman b/c I can't stand looking at Michael Keaton's too-punchable face. Maybe I would feel more tired of the director's schtick if I'd seen that one.

Agree on Leonardo mainly rasping and frothing at the mouth instead of having lines. LOL. Gonna be so epic when he doesn't get the oscar, again. I hope they play the bear clip.