1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook's Fit.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kornel87, Jul 21, 2019.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Newsflash:
    Our PG scored 35 a game last season

Deckard, don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

westbrook physically has the defensive tools.

with him playing less on the ball maybe he will rededicate himself to the defensive side and really crank it up there.

snowconeman22, D-rock and Kornel87 like this.
  3. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

4. basketballholic

Rustybrick should be a great on-ball defender with his physical tools and tenacity. But you don't get twiple-dwoubles on the defensive end...gah!!

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

doesn't play in the EU. too bad we don't have an expert transcriptionist as a member here :D

7. PhiSlammaJamma

He's fit. This not a Tyler White situation.

8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Scottie Pippen was on ESPN today, and they asked him about this. He thinks Harden and Westbrook will thrive together and made some good points (not normally a fan of what Pippen says, but he seemed to have good insight here)
    1. Westbrook will push the ball a lot...that's what he does. It's what the Rockets need, but haven't had.
    2. Harden is not a PG, he's a SG. So, the offense will work better with an actual PG at PG, and a SG at SG. Plays more to each player's strengths. Harden did pretty good at PG, but it caused the team to run slow and get stagnant too often.
    3. He thinks there won't be any ego issues, AND that it will become Westbrooks team to run (as the PG). He thinks Harden will be ok with this because:
    4. Harden's numbers won't go down, he'll just spend less energy getting them. This is better for both Harden and Westbrook.
    5. Having Harden as the SG and Westbrook as the PB will minimize Westbrook's weakness (outside shooting)..as he has Harden for that now. Similarly, Harden won't be spending energy at the PG position he shouldn't be playing.
    6. Oh, forgot that he said Westbrook is actually the perfect PG for D'Antoni's system. Nash wasn't athletic enough to really push it up, and with Harden, he had to slow things way down. Westbrook should thrive under D'Antoni...perfect match of coach and player.

Those all seem like valid points to me. Doesn't mean it will necessarily work out that way, but I think some good analysis on why it certainly could.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It's amazing people think Russ is more of a PG than Harden, They were both molded into play making guards. Russ is not a pure PG at all. Harden is the superior passer.

10. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

While I agree they will work well together I disagree on that 3rd point. Harden is a much better decision maker and overall playmaker. Westbrook is a playmaker out of necessity. Having Harden running off the ball with Westbrook creating is not playing to their strengths, it may work is spurts but it shouldn't be the norm.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

1. its what he does, bc it works for him as he plays at 1000 mph and out of control so much. doesn't mean it works for the rest of the team who havent really displayed much of high iq fastbreak team. the rockets were a ship contendor playing at one of the slower paces in the league. that wasn't a problem.
    2. harden will still play pg here. the ball will be in his hands a ton, as it should bc hes a much better decision maker than wb. the only difference is the "pg" next to him can't shoot, which is extremely important when paring someone next to harden who demands so much attention
    3. if you're still worrying about ego's at 30 after everything both players have gone through, it was a disaster to begin with.
    4. the numbers that matter at the end of the day are team W's and L's
    5. same as #2
    6. Wb's efficiency, decision making, and ability to shoot are all huge questions for this system. he isn't the perfect pg at all. especially if he's at the level within the last two years when they've all gone downhill. being statistically the worst 3 pt shooter in the league is no where close to the perfect pg in an mda system

Blurr#7 likes this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

If Harden accepts being off-the ball at least for 50% of the time he's on the court with Westbrook, we'll be successful. Westbrook most time off-the ball is not the way to go.

BigDog63 likes this.
  13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Pippen was talking more about pushing the ball. Westbrook does that, Harden does not. He thinks under D'Antoni the Rockets need a PG that pushes the ball. That's Westbrook, and not Harden. Certainly it's pretty clear who of the two is the SG...definitely Harden.

I do think Russ will need to learn more about how to play the position at a slower pace...not every possession is push push push. And, certainly, there will be plenty of times it will still be Harden bringing the ball up the court.

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I think it will work. Westbrook will want to drive the basket. Teams will either let him, or collapse on him. If they let him...layup. If they collapse...Harden open for 3.

I also think he'll become a smarter player. Some out of simple maturity, some out of coaching, some out of having a teammate that is on his level. Westbrook seems like a pretty sharp guy...and I suspect both of them are tired of hearing how they can't win big games.

Westbrook seems kind of like Kobe was during some of his later years with the Lakers. People asked him why he shot so much, and he basically said 'who would he pass it too that had a better chance of making it than him?' But over the next season or two he learned to trust his teammates more, and the team became better. I see that happening with Westbrook. Plus...it's not like he doesn't pass it. You don't get all those assists by not passing the ball.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jesus AP, I felt every blow.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Not for the faint of heart......much like the Rockets season to come.

I believe things will work (in regular season), but some bumps and detours will be in our path. For sure.

Take care D-rock, enjoy the season.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

You haven’t been watching, I watched a lot Thunder games and it wasn’t until Westbrook deferred to PG that they began to win.
    It’s different here but Westbrook handling the majority of the game isn’t smart.

DreamShook, RichieBanks and YOLO like this.
  18. icewill36

icewill36 Member

im just ready to see these guys on the court together. this wait seems like forever. football helps even though im not die hard though.

the rockets are going to be must see TV no matter what

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think harden is a better passer and generally wiser protector of the ball . But , Russ has never played pg for a coach like MDA and does have a considerable amount of skill .

Obviously his athleticism is great too. There is huge value in a transition weapon and WB will excel in certain situations in the half court. Especially, if it’s a flow from transition and there’s player movement in the offense.

Both WB and James excel off the catch from al over the court . But especially with space man, it’s gonna be crazy .

Russ’ own relative lack of shooting prowess is harmful in that defenses might play off of him when he has the ball . But I think he’ll be good enough

Blurr#7 likes this.
  20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

All I need to know is that Harden and Westbrook have had success working together. Clint can play with pretty much anyone.