1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

West irked by Grizzlies' actions after sweep

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mirror_image, Apr 26, 2004.

1. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

Link:
    http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2354986

West irked by Grizzlies' actions after sweep
    MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) ¡X Jerry West was not happy.

The day after being swept by San Antonio in the first round of the NBA playoffs, the Memphis Grizzlies gathered Monday for a team photo.
    West, who is trying to build the franchise into a league contender, watched as the players gathered in small groups, some laughing and joking.

"I wouldn't be laughing. I'll guarantee you that, not me," West said.

The Grizzlies had an outstanding regular season, winning 50 games - 22 more than ever before - and earning a franchise-first playoff berth in the tough Western Conference.

But for West, the regular season and the playoffs must be evaluated independently.

Playing the toughest opponents in the most important games is when a team's weaknesses become most apparent, he said.

Except for Game 3, which the Spurs won 95-93, the Grizzlies were shoved around handily. And even in that game, the Spurs had 48 rebounds to 31 for the Grizzlies, including a 21-10 advantage on the offensive boards.

For the series, the Spurs shot 50.7 percent from the field to 42.4 percent for Memphis. From 3-point range, San Antonio hit 47.7 percent to 29.4 percent for the Grizzlies.

West declined to name names, but said he was disappointed with individuals and the team as a whole.

West is regarded as one of the best judges of talent in the league and changes are expected in the lineup by next season.

The Grizzlies have long needed more strength and size inside, but "we've got a lot more needs than that," West said, declining to go into specifics.

He had nothing but praise, however, for coach Hubie Brown and his staff.

"You couldn't do any more than they've done," West said. "I don't think there's a coach in basketball who could have won 50 games with this team besides our coach."

West said his highlight of the season was when Brown received the league's coach of the year trophy to a standing ovation from Memphis fans.

Brown's plans for next season are unsettled, though West and team owner Michael Heisley hope he stays.

Brown, who will be 71 in September, is the oldest coach in the NBA.

"I've just got to step back and discuss this with my wife and my family, and then also, I want to get checked out again to make sure I'm OK physically," he said. "Then I'll make a decision."

West has added nine players to the roster since taking over in April 2002, and Heisley said he expects more personnel changes.

"Jerry West makes all those kinds of decisions. Quite frankly, I don't even make suggestions to him," Heisley said. "I love every one of our players, but I'm sure he's going to be looking to make changes to make the team better."

As general manager of the Lakers from 1982 to 2000, West built them into a championship team led by Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant.

His hiring of Brown in Memphis raised eyebrows around the league, with many observers questioning if Brown could communicate with a team of 20-something millionaires.

But the Grizzlies took quickly to Brown, describing him as tough but fair, and adopted his fast-paced style that used a 10-man rotation, beating San Antonio three times.

Next season, the Grizzlies move to a new $250 million arena beside the city's Beale Street entertainment district.

At The Pyramid, their temporary home along the downtown riverfront, the Grizzlies drew an average of 15,188 this season. They closed the regular season with three straight sellouts of 19,351 and both home playoff games were sold out.

Will you laugh after being swept even if you have an outstanding regular season? With this attitude, I don't think Grizzilies will make the playoff next year.

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Is "irked" everybodies favorite word? The Tim Thomas article also has the word "irked" in the title

I don't even know what irked is but it does seem to have a negative connotation

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

irked would be displeased.

who the **** cares if they were laughing THE DAY AFTER. if it was in the locker room right after the game that would be different. yeah the postseason sucked, but walking around mad at the team photo shoot isn't gonna fix that nor is your mood at the team photo shoot gonna help you be better next season. plus you're with your friends and you just had a great season and probably want a little levity to move on from the whoopin' so you're just having some fun.

i'm sure players love hearing no one could've won 50 "with this team" and getting b****ed at after a spectacularly successful season that was much their own doing. considering the spurs are probably going to win the title and they didn't have the size inside to compete what more did you want.

and another thing, west didn't bring in kareem and magic? i thought he built that thing up but apparently not so he's really only done shaq and kobe, both of who made it clear they wanted to be there?

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This group had a great synergy in winning 50. Changes could affect the balance that worked so well.

Or, West being The Logo may just have the answers.

If I were betting on over/under of 50 wins again for the whiz Griz I'd take the under.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Well.....not much more to say than the Grizz SUCKED in the playoffs this year. I haven't seen Memphisxxx (or whatever his name was) post once this whole playoffs about the Grizz. Must be quite depressing to get swept.

Well, I hope the Rockets can pull one out on Wednesday.

6. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

Until the Grizz gets some true goto players, that can expect early playoffs exits every year.

Their best bet is to trade 2 or 3 of the best players for a superstar. (Wells + Posey and/or Gasol for T-Mac) It probably won't win them a title but it will definitely help them get out of the 1st round.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the grizz are the new mavericks. really strong in the regular season but just stepping stones for the real teams with real big men.

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

He posted saying congratulations in the GARM forum after we won Game 3.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

This seems to be much ado about nothing.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Greatness is lasting, fame is fleeting, Greatness equals greatness, greatness equals greatness

Seriously guys,

you have to understand where West is coming from. Do you think the greats of the game, Magic, Jordan, Bird, Isiah, Russell, Olajuwon, West, etc. would be laughing the day after when around the team? I don't because they had the attitude to separate them from the everyday player, not just the ability. That is what West is trying to instill in this team, that's why he brought in a coach like Hubie. I totally understand where he's coming from.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

The game is supposed to be fun. After the game, you shake the man's hand and live your life. Then you come back and play again.

12. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

That's the difference between the good teams and players and the mediocre teams and players.

The good ones don't have fun unless they are winning.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I can understand West's attitude. He didn't get where he is today without an extreme competitive fire. If I were one of the players, I would have thought first that it might not be good to show a happy face to management after getting swept. But, well, I also don't have basketball talent in the first place to even deserve to stand in that team photo, so....

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not the great ones.

DD

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well, I know it sucks getting swept, but did the Logo honestly think that a team that had never been in the playoffs were going to eliminate the defending champions??

He might say outwardly to prove that he has this unbelievable confidence, but if he is realistic, he shouldn't be surprised.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You're talking about the Isiah and Magic that were laughing and blowing kisses at each other before tip-off in the Finals, right?

I like how that 'great coaching' Memphis supposedly got all year served them in the playoffs. Also great how Carroll Dawson is supposedly a buffoon, while Jerry West is a genius, and CD's team is still playing. Funny stuff.

17. Major

Major Member

I like how that 'great coaching' Memphis supposedly got all year served them in the playoffs. Also great how Carroll Dawson is supposedly a buffoon, while Jerry West is a genius, and CD's team is still playing. Funny stuff.

Carroll Dawson has been building his team a lot longer than Jerry West.

you have to understand where West is coming from. Do you think the greats of the game, Magic, Jordan, Bird, Isiah, Russell, Olajuwon, West, etc. would be laughing the day after when around the team?

Drexler was laughing and smiling seconds after losing to Utah in the final game of his career.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

there is a middle ground here. and you cant take one side to the extreme.

but smiling and having a good time w/ your teammates when the season is over isnt the end of the world. along as you take the summer to improve your game.

some of you guys act like you cant have a good EVER if you loose. that has nothing to do with making your self a better player.

19. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

TheFreak, that was before the game.
    Straight business during.

Also, West hasn't been building that team up nearly as long as CD has with this Houston squad.
    Hubie's second year there.
    The Grizzlies. We're not talking about a team that at least has a reputation.....this is the Grizzlies we're talking about.

Finally, they lost to last year's champions with last year's MVP.

Besides, didn't they win more in the regular season than us?
    That's real funny considering we have 2 all-stars.

:p

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Also I specifically remember Magic Johnson saying that Barkley shouldn't be having dinner with Michael Jordan during the 93 Finals when he was doing broadcasting for NBC.

I wouldn't put Drexler on that list.