1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

West,Baylor,Big O,and Dr.J

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Jun 7, 2002.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Jerry West,Elgin Baylor,Oscar "triple double" Robertson and Dr.J. People are probably wondering what do all the men have in common besides the hall of fame. Their similarities are similar to all small guards and small forwards not named Jordan or Isiah.They never won a title until they got a inside presence. All 3 were great players and dominated games or even series, but until they got and inside presence, they couldn't win a ring.

Although Baylor retired the yr before the outstanding lakers put up that incredible record, I had to include him also. Jery west, Mr Logo himself was just a great player without a ring until Wilt's arrival. The man that avg a triple double for 3 season in Robertson, couldn't get one either without Lew Alcindor's arrival.
    The original high flyer, Dr.J could get to the big stage but lost to Walton in 77 and Kareem in 80 and 82. It wasn't until he got the MVP in Moses Malone did he get his ring. These are not the only HOF players who didn't get a ring and they are not restricted to just guards, but there are a longer list of great small players who didn't get a ring because of the big man than vice versa. From Dominique,English,Ice Man, the list goes on and on. What do these HOF players have to do with Ming nd the current Rockets roster? Everything.

I'm not saying that Ming will be a hof player, I'm not saying he will dominate the post every possession like hakeem used to. No one can say he will,no one can say he won't, but what I'm saying is the rockets and Francis have a better shot at being contenders or championship with a low post presence than with a multi faceted player that doesn't play center. Look at how many wins Don Nelson has and he has never played in a championship game because his team doesn't play defense and he never has a inside game period. I don't care who the lineups are and the mismatches Rockets fans think they have with the quick lineups and such, until they have a reliable post presence they will be just like those other small teams that can't beat big teams. No matter how much the game changes, it stays the same. Big men dominate the game plain and simple. Its still a big mans game.

After further review Isiah did have Dantley or Aguirre who were 2o pt low block scorers in their career. Taking that into account, Jordan was the only one to do it. I'd rather take my chances with the norm and go with Ming.

2. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Well made point, Lee. It still remains to be seen how last year's high schoolers turn out, but who has come into the league since Shaq that had the potential? I think that unless there is an absolute blow-up with the Chinese powers, then you must select Ming.

3. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

good point lee...it is true, sans the bulls, inside games win championships and this guy can be tutored...I wish we had Saboner in 1986 when he was drafted...imagine him in the league in his early prime...you think Portland would have one a couple?

4. tozai

tozai Member

Good point, but as of now he still will not be much of inside presence in the NBA...I'm not saying he'll never be, but next season he won't, in my opinion

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

great argument and i agree with you. imo, it's more of a risk not to take ming. if most of the red-tape is clear i don't see us doing anything else.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I hope China looks at Sabonis and see how Russia screwed him. He killed Big Dave and company while being younger but more experinced in the olympics. He was drafted in 86 and would have made that Portland team real good. As it turned out, he didn't come here till after the achilles injury and 30+ yrs of age. Even so he was a good center, but past his glorious prime. I hope Ming doesn't wind up the same way.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I may be the odd man out but I think you go small. Dare to be different. Have a bunch of small guys that don't know what to do but score. Defense will have to make adjustments like no other. In fact, I think we go for Jason Williams and make him our backup. I know that sounds stupid, but we would be moving closer to a dominate backcourt. No ones done it. There have been dominant players and dominant big men, but there has never been a backcourt in charge of winning games. I say we fight the way it has worked. Longevtivity is a problem, not one I'm interested in.