1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

West Already Locked for Playoffs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by nickb492, Dec 15, 2016.

1. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

This is the first time for me since watching basketball that this early into the season the West seems to be already locked for the Playoffs. Now it's just placement. But ESPN predicted pretty well as far as teams.

[​IMG]

Lawlruschang and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Love the fact Dallas got cut-off in your image.

3. hvic

hvic Member

I hope Dallas doesn't get into the top 3 picks for lottery

4. nickb492

Only thing Dallas has going for them is that they probably will get 1st pick.

Just found it odd that the east being medicore heaven is somewhat more entertaining to watch than most of the West teams that are at the bottom. Only see a season injury for Westbrook or Lillard for there to be a chance for any changes. Don't even think a major trade to any of the bottom teams would improve their chances.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think if New Orleans, Sacramento or Minnesota can get it together they can steal a spot from OKC. It goes without saying that Westbrook is playing at superhuman levels but he's going to need help soon. Otherwise, I can see OKC free falling down the standings.

6. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

well it appears ESPN may get the Rockets wrong when it comes to seeding/win-loss record

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Anything's possible, but the Thunder don't exactly have a super hard schedule over the next month, and one would assume the longer it goes where the Kings, Nugs, T-Woves, Pelicans, etc. are multiple games back, the extra harder it would be for those types of young teams to make up ground.

Consider the Pelicans/T-Wolves are both 7+ games behind OKC right now. It's a pretty big hole.

Maybe the Nuggets. Hard to see the Kings.

I think at the end of the day OP is correct, and the top 8 teams are what they are.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The pessimist in me still thinks one of those teams will fall, OKC or Portland.

9. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Sacramento will get worse, after it unloads Cousins and Gay. To sit your highest paid players on a losing team speaks volumes on what is going on behind the scenes.

steddinotayto likes this.
  10. nickb492

[​IMG]

Just for comparison. Without Cavs and Toronto which is a lock, the East could go anywhere. Think Nets and Philly are out but you have New York to Miami fighting for the other 6 spots. Can easily see any of the teams besides Celtics and Charlotte just burning out.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think its premature to say anything is locked. Yes, the top 8 in the west have separated themselves a bit. Lots of basketball left. On another note, is it sour grapes to want Atlanta to miss the playoffs?

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Nothing is for certain, but the point is that the separation is already there so even if a team like Portland struggles for a few weeks which of those lowly teams is going to catch uber fire to pass them?

13. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

If you told me before the season that after 26 games, we're only 3 games behind GSW, I would have been wondering what happened to GSW.

Enjoy every second of Houston basketball this year guys (stop complaining that games are boring when we win :D)

14. nickb492

I like Atlanta. But they turn over the ball so much that has been the difference for them losing close games. Can realistically see them going 3-7 the next 10 games.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I hear you, but the opposing view is:
    - OKC hasn't reached their potential. They're where they are on the backs of Westbrook. But the rest of their lineup isn't that bad. Oladipo has scored but at horrible efficiency and will get better. Adams and Kanter are super solid. Etc. I think Donovan isn't showing anything unique as a NBA coach at this point. He's not maximizing that roster. That said, it could get worse, but could get better.
    - Portland hasn't reached their potential. They refuse to play defense. A lot of that is on the players. Lillard, McCollum just are bad defenders. Their interior isn't exactly intimidating, etc. But if they'd just put some effort in they'd be better. Could get worse, but could get better.

I think it far more likely OKC and Portland stay around their current pace (maybe some drop off for OKC % wise, Portland around 40-44 wins), than Denver/Sacramento making a push or the Pelicans/T-Wolves putting together the type of strong run they need to close an already huge gap.

16. Rockets4Life13

How can you reach your potential offensively if u are so incredible dependent on one guy. I know strange words from a rockets fan considering harden is handling the ball for a lot of time. But watch OKC games and compare them to Rockets games. U can see and feel the difference. I can tell you they wont reach their potential offensively. The only way they win above .500 is defense and westbrook having good shooting nights imo. Because if he doesn't have good shooting nights he will keep shooting anyway.

17. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Guess we should rest harden the rest of the season

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The East consists of two good teams, a bunch of mediocre teams and 4 or 5 bad teams. Another cakewalk through the playoffs for the Cavs.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It's going to be disappointing 26-30 the rest of the way

20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Will they? They have a ton of injuries, but Bogut/Barnes should be able to get them some wins... hopefully. No idea why they trade for Bogut in a year where they easily could have the top pick. But it is Dallas, that city isn't about to get behind a long rebuild process.