1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wes Matthews agrees to 4-year deal with the Mavericks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sw847, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've left companies for more money and have been pissed at them.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

in a guard driven league where you need good guards to win, that would have been pretty smart to let your young star walk.

3. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

I wonder who his agent is? I couldn't find it on teh google.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Why do players always acknowledge that it's a business and then not understand why business decisions are made?

5. tomato

tomato Member

Were they playing peepee games?

1 person likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

well a lot of them aren't that educated to begin with and are told what to do/say most of the time.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Would you say the same for owners when they are mad when Star players leave?

The truth is both sides try to play the loyalty card, has nothing to do with intelligence. From the players side has more to do with respect. Doesn't make him stupid or dumb.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

What do you think?

I looked at that list and I disagree.

Wes is an underrated defender and scorer. He was injured, but if you look at his lines before that time, he was efficient. Didn't he give James some fits?

I think he was just lost behind Portland's depth. Same with Batum. He just couldn't fit in for whatever reason. I don't see how you couldn't knock down jumpers with LMA being doubled and tripled.

The ESPN vote that I disagree with the most is Dwill. He wanted back to Texas, anywhere in TX, and that change of scenery is going to be great for him.

I'll call it now. He's going to have a breakout year. He's got better guys around him and he'll be in a good combo with Dirk. I think he'll finally be able to shoot the ball more often, like he did in Utah.

In Brooklyn, Lionel didn't give him the freedom he needed. He wanted more of a Jarret Jack style, and Deron is a scoring point guard. His passing is underrated, but if you don't have shooters around, your passing goes unnoticed. If the Mavs kept Monta, that team would be a bit scarier. I don't see Cuban keeping that team as is the whole season. They need some youth. Deron is a low risk, high reward signing.

Just my 2 cents.

I do agree with Lance though. He is overrated, and with that depth in LA, he's not going to get his points. He'll be unhappy and probably bounce around the bench and possibly to another team. Paul George and David West made him look good because they were doubled. Is he a contract player? I don't know, but it's odd that his numbers were atrocious once he got paid (too much, I might add).

I think the worst newcomers are Asik and Reggie Jackson. Vastly overpaid. Asik doesn't fit in well with Davis and Reggie is going to see how difficult it is to play with a depleted roster, an angry-style coach and no KD or Russ around to distribute the ball or score with ease.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There was an analytics thread about players rated (overpaid/bargain) in relation to their salaries and Matthews made the cut for being paid for what he's worth.

Mavs will still suck and we'll see if he can play an entire season, but there's that...

11. Rokman

Rokman Member

What he's worth last season. We will see what he is worth this season.

12. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

With Stevenson at 2 and Smith at 8, Doc has his work cut out for him this season. Good to see that Ty Lawson only received 2 third place votes worth only 2 pts.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

in my opinion you are wrong about the mavs. they will be horrible. i think there is even a chance they are last in the western conference after the wolves. probably not, but they will be near the bottom.

dirk hasnt been right for about 2 seasons now. and he will probably only play about 25 minutes this year. parsons, matthews, and williams are all suffering from past injuries and at least 2 of them will probably miss significant time.

the jig is up in dallas. either dirk plays again this next year and they tread water and drown, he retires and they start over, or he moves to another team and they start over.

14. Invisible Fan

They ranked it based on signing, which is a better indicator for now than any available. It's just a website's opinion, ofc.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/08/14/freelance-friday-grading-2015-nba-free-agent-salaries/
    Code:
    Grading Summer 2015 NBA Free Agent SIgnings
    Name		2015/16 Salary	% Difference from Proj Value	Category
    Wesley Matthews	$17,515,007	10%				Average

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

What the heck are you smoking?

"I think he was just lost behind Portland's depth." - what kind of depth that Portland had the last 2 seasons? Their bench is one of the worse in NBA. Mathews is a decent 2-way starting SG and played in a good team with 2 all stars. That's what it is. He will be a very good 3rd option on your team, kind of like Parsons, Ariza, Haywood, to name a few. But if he is your first or second option, then you are in trouble.

In his best seasons playing in Portland, he played with LMA and Lillard, both are current all stars, and now not only he just had a serious injury, and he will need to play with 2 washed up previous all stars DWill and Dirk, he will have a breakout year?

"In Brooklyn, Lionel didn't give him the freedom he needed. He wanted more of a Jarret Jack style, and Deron is a scoring point guard. His passing is underrated, but if you don't have shooters around, your passing goes unnoticed. "

lol, how come this sounds so familiar? Are you a LOF?

Stop finding excuses to blame the coach for a washed up, overpaid, over the hill player who clearly lost his job because another average NBA backup was better than him.

16. Codman

Let me clarify, and just because you disagree, it doesn't mean I'm smoking.:rolleyes:

Wes was not a primary option in Portland. By depth, I mean that they had weapons that were used before him, with Lillard and LaMarcus being the primary option. Then, there was Batum. Wes became more of a role player at that point.

In Dallas, his role will be more defined. Hence, a breakout year in comparison to the last. The man can flat out play when he gets enough shots. Check his history.

DWill is not washed up. Period. You fail to remember what he's capable of doing with a better supporting cast, along with better chemistry. There are numerous players that turn things around once they're out of a situation that made them unhappy.

And, I do know that Deron felt a bit micromanaged by Lionel. This isn't news. Even guys on the Grizzlies considered him a bit too hands-on. Deron thrives with freedom to create.

Jarrett Jack is better than DWill? LOL....that's hilarious. I'm not going to debate that idea because it's inaccurate, both from a talent perspective and the numbers which don't lie.

LOF? Lin? I'm the farthest thing from a Jeremy Lin fan. What are you talking about.

Finally, your post breathes so much anger or resentment. There has to be a reason for it. Maybe you don't like Dwill or you are the type of fan that thinks all coaches are able to foster a productive environment. That's not the case.

If you've ever played or coached, you understand that a new situation, along with WINNING, can completely change a player.

That's what the Rockets are banking on with Ty. It's the same deal. He moves away from a toxic organization and possibly has a breakout year with Houston. It isn't far fetched.

I'm not even a Mavs fan, and I have admitted that they are a bit old, but that doesn't mean individual players won't step up and reignite their careers. It happens all the time.

Good riddance.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Jeeesh Codman, you must not have been watching the last two seasons of NBA basketball. I assume you haven't kept up if you really think D-Will has anything left in terms of being a starting PG. he's always hurt, he's slow and his shooting is horrific. Mathews has more to worry about right now than a comeback year. He tore his achillies, he probably needs to worry about 2016 not 2105.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If Wes Matthews comes back from an Achilles rupture to be the Wes Matthews of old then yea it's a great value contract. But right now, with historical data on the recovery from that specific injury not positive, Matthews is a bad value contract. If you're getting a Matthews at 80% of what he was....I can see justification of his salary given the future spike in salary cap but it's definitely not a "steal of the summer" acquisition.

19. Invisible Fan

That's just his thing. He posts like a raging know it all teen or one who suffers from mild autism.

/shrugs

20. Codman

Dwill has plenty in the tank. Just watch.

If his contract wasn't so much, there were more than a dozen teams ready to relieve him from Brooklyn.

We'll see.:)

I'll admit that I'm a fan and that we had discussions for him, but I firmly believe that a healthy DWill is going to revitalize his career.

As for Matthews, he's going to get more opportunities and it's expected that he'll be ready to go. Dirk does well with scoring 2s. He and Monta were a decent combo, but Wes lacks the athleticism. What he does do that Monta couldn't was defend. That makes him more valuable.

I don't like the Mavs, but I don't see them being in last place. Marky Mark will upgrade as he usually does. Dirk wants to win. Cuban wants to win.

Dwill/Dirk/Wes is a decent start. 2 former all-stars with a legit scorer is not a bad start.

But again, well agree to disagree and see what happens. :)