1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wes Matthews agrees to 4-year deal with the Mavericks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sw847, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Cubes is nuts. That is just stupid.
    <iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

3. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Double Down on Dumb

4. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Man I am starting to feel bad for Dallas fans, this is ridiculous.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/signedsealedanddelivered?src=hash">#signedsealedanddelivered</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/octagonfamily?src=hash">#octagonfamily</a> <a href="http://t.co/zmUtodAHFu">pic.twitter.com/zmUtodAHFu</a></p>&mdash; Wesley Matthews (@wessywes2) <a href="https://twitter.com/wessywes2/status/619277011916226561">July 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wes Matthews' tore his Achilles and gold coins flew out of it</p>&mdash; Ethan Strauss (@SherwoodStrauss) <a href="https://twitter.com/SherwoodStrauss/status/619276021531971584">July 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Exactly what I was going to say, funny enough. What the Mavs should do is walk away from Matthews. Without Jordan coming, they should switch from reloading to rebuilding. But, I can understand that they feel they need to honor their word and follow through with their agreement with Matthews. But, to max him out?!?!? Because the team will now be worse? Because Matthews might now get cold feet about the whole arrangement? Because some other team might swoop in and offer him more? No. This is the height of foolishness.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I bet this was just Cuban thinking with his heart and not his brain. I am sure after calling Wes and telling him he was free to break off the agreement and Wes cost to stay, Mark chose to reward his loyalty. There is no other explanation for giving him the max.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I wonder how Dirk feels about all of this after taking that paycut...

9. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

To be fair it's only $13 millions more than what they already agreed to. Over four years it's just over $3 million a year

10. Aaron_D

Aaron_D Member

11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Wtf! They just gave 23 mil up just cuz? This is the fall of Rome... Well a weak ass Rome

12. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

yes, but they're giving him $17.5 million a year, right? Have you seen his stats? In his peak year, he averaged 16.9. last year went down. And he has extremely weak rebound/assist numbers- even for a guard.

$17.5 million. For Wes Matthews. And Cuban's supposed to be a smart business man. Sheesh.

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

FIFY. Youre welcome.

1 person likes this.
  14. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Yea but still. Why pay extra. Doesn't seem like something Morey would do

15. Classic

Classic Member

LMAO

prolly chitt-faced at the bar right now doing his best impersonation of Kenny Powers

16. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

Subtraction is not everybody's strong suit.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm well and truly shocked at the contract. That's simply crazy. I might argue that it would be crazy for a healthy Matthews, but a Wes Matthews coming of an injury like that? Pubes has flipped his lid!

18. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Time to max out Dirk if you're about it Mark

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

That might just happen next year. A max retirement package similar to Kobe. If they are going to tank and rebuild, then why not.

The Wes matthews deal looks like a tanking bonus.

I wonder if they'll consider trading Parsons, they need to get this tank rolling at full speed.