1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Were T-mac & Yao an overrated duo of superstars?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LCII, Dec 29, 2009.

1. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Its amazing...You mean a whole team designing 1 defensive game plan after Yao destroyed them in the 1st game on single coverage = doesn't impact the series where Portland constantly left Scola open for his mid-range jumpers because they refused to allow Yao to get the ball or shoot it effectively = not taking over a game.

Let me guess, not only should he be sandwich double teamed through non-illegal methods (which was illegal way back than) but you expect him to score 35pts and grab 15 rebounds to really mean he took over the game.

Forcing a team to change defensive strategy for 6 games = taking over the offense when you have a whole team designated to stop you

Lets not even talk about Yao's underappreciated defense. Its a joke how people continue to think Yao's defense is horrible and itsn't flash because he doesn't block 4 shots a game. Sure he is big and tall but his 1 on 1 post defense is above average, horrible against the pick and roll but just like Shane he does all the little things right on defense.

If Yao was healthy in the Lakers series, we had a chance to win it. But O wait without Yao we took them to game 7. If you look at those games we won, the Lakers didn't show up, just look at game 5 and game 7, we didn't even score 80 pts in both games.

Our guys played hard no doubt, but lets be realistic in the playoffs, we are going to need someone to do what Yao did for us, it may not be him, it may not be T-mac, but it has to be somebody. Or we are going to see a quick series, sure we may make it interesting but when teams tighten their defensive our role players are going have to respond.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yes. The trade sucked. We can obviously see now that the Yao/Francis combo was REALLY the championship mix. How could we have broken up the incredible chemistry betwen Stevie and Yao!?

The ironic thing is that the same clash between Yao and T-Mac's style can also be said for Shaq and Kobe. The difference, of course, was that Kobe and Shaq were BETTER PLAYERS. Hence, they were a championship mix. Tracy and Yao were not.

3. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

02 Laker Roster vs 05 Rocket Roster vs 04 Rocket Roster

Rockets 05 Roster
    Rafer Alston
    Derek Anderson
    Jon Barry
    Lonny Baxter
    Keith Bogans
    Ryan Bowen
    Rick Brunson
    Josh Davis
    Richie Frahm
    Stephen Graham
    Chuck Hayes
    Luther Head
    Juwan Howard
    Maciej Lampe
    John Lucas
    Tracy McGrady
    Yao Ming
    Dikembe Mutombo
    Moochie Norris
    Stromile Swift
    David Wesley

Rocket Roster 04
    NO. PLAYER POS HT WT YRS DOB FROM
    == ====== === == == === === ====
    1 Tracy McGrady G 6-8 210 6 5/24/79 Mt Zion Christian Academ
    3 Bob Sura G 6-5 200 8 3/25/73 Florida St
    5 I-Juwan Howard F 6-9 230 9 2/7/73 Michigan
    7 David Wesley G 6-1 203 10 11/14/70 Baylor
    11 Yao Ming C 7-6 310 1 9/12/80 China
    13 Mike James G 6-2 188 3 6/23/75 Duquesne
    17 I-Charlie Ward G 6-2 185 9 10/12/70 Florida St
    20 Jon Barry G 6-5 210 12 7/25/69 Georgia Tech
    25 Moochie Norris G 6-1 185 7 7/27/73 West Florida
    30 Clarence Weatherspoon F 6-7 270 11 9/8/70 So Mississippi
    32 Torraye Braggs F 6-8 245 R 5/15/76 Xavier
    35 Scott Padgett F 6-9 240 4 4/19/76 Kentucky
    40 Ryan Bowen F 6-9 220 5 11/20/75 Iowa
    42 Vin Baker F 6-11 240 11 11/23/71 Hartford
    55 Dikembe Mutombo C 7-2 265 12 6/25/66 Georgetown

vs

Laker Roster 02
    Kobe Bryant
    Derek Fisher
    Rick Fox
    Devean George
    Robert Horry
    Mark Madsen
    Stanislav Medvedenko
    Tracy Murray
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Jannero Pargo
    Kareem Rush
    Soumaila Samake
    Brian Shaw
    Samaki Walker

Lets not even mentioned Kobe was averaging 30 points a game and they are coached by one of the greatest coaches in NBA history.

They also had players who step up during critical games Robert Horry and Derek Fisher. Who stepped up for the rockets in the playoffs during T-mac and Yao's years?

While the Lakers had help from the Refs in the 02 series, did the Rockets have help in the 05 series......

4. J-Wood

J-Wood Member

No I would not say that they were over rated. They only played in one playoff series together and I am not sure if you all are aware of this but this is one the main series that Tim Donaghy admitted to fixing. Therefore, I really dont think anyone knows how great they could have been together healthy.

5. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Testify! [​IMG]

6. J-Wood

J-Wood Member

They werent both healthy in that Jazz series, and teh Mavs series was fixed by Tim Donaghy

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yao couldn't stay healthy, Mcgrady got old.

8. s3ts

s3ts Member

Really, you'd consider Dwight to be a "maybe" superstar but Yao's not even close? Please tell me you've seen them play against each other.

I don't see why you're comparing a PF to a C, bringing up Tim Duncan. I said that he was the best man in the 5-spot for the past few years. Would I take Duncan over Yao? Of course I would, Duncan is possibly the greatest PF to have ever played basketball. But that's not the right question to be asking. I'd take Yao over Dwight any day. It's just unfortunate Yao is plagued with injuries.

I agree with the part about Yao lacking clutchness, but let's be crystal clear about that: only the faster and conveniently sized people can carry out stuff like that. Review a few things for me, though:
    08-09 Playoffs, WC HOU @ LA, Game 1, 4th Qtr
    Celtics game in January of 2009, 4th Qtr

I also agree that Yao lacks a passing game, hence his smaller Asst Avg. But really, I think that can be much improved. I also think that Yao can improve his basketball IQ too.

Other than that, I kind of disagree with you. Yao is great at getting into position, and if he doesn't, he just gets double-, triple-teamed and that helps the team out offensively in so many ways. And Yao's role is not to be on a fast-motion stuff. Yao isn't supposed to go for fast-break.

Offensively, Cs are supposed to post up in the paint and either create an open shot (either for himself or his teammates) or take a high-percentage, close-to-the-rim, contested shot.

Defensively, Cs are supposed to guard the paint and close off the driving lanes.

Obviously, C's are also supposed to get a lot of rebounds (offensively and defensively). In my book, he does that better than any other big man in the world.

It's hard to consider Yao as a superstar because of all the great Cs that have come before him. But seriously, give him credit for what he is. He is a tremendous player in the NBA.

9. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

LOL. Brandon Roy is NOT a superstar, especially if Yao is not a superstar. Yao, if he never faced injuries, would be a superstar (imo), but Brandon Roy IS NOT a superstar by any means. If Brandon Roy is a superstar then so is Deron Williams and a bunch of other players.

Unfortunately, "superstar" doesn't have a clear definition to it, and, imo today, there are very few super stars remaining: Kobe, LeBron, Wade...

former superstars of the decade: shaq, duncan, garnett, mcgrady, carter, webber (for a bit), iverson

I'm not even sure if Dirk and Nash were ever superstars. Anyway, I stopped reading after Brandon Roy (LOL). If LeBron is a superstar, there's definitely something that should separate him and other stars like Roy, Paul, and Williams. And that is the word "super".

10. PeekingDuck

PeekingDuck Member

Yes..

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think the style is the problem. A great perimeter playmaker and a dominant inside scorer, that's a combination that has been proven to work time and again in NBA history.

One thing for sure, it wouldn't be motion offense if the both of them were healthy. Unfortunately, when both of them were still fairly healthy together, we didn't have Morey to find good role players to support them, and we didn't have Adelman to implement an efficient offensive game.

12. fumduck

fumduck Member

The curse of TMac will soon be gone! Grant Hill was never hurt until the presence of TM. Years to Rox since trade from Orlando, self explained. We were doing good this season when TM was out. 6 games back....Landry looses teeth, Chase sprains ankle badly, no telling what else can happen... :eek:

Just kidding...

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

just goes to show...it takes more than two players. i don't think you can really pin it on just them saying they never worked out. it's a team sport. they were pieces we were to build around...but with tmac running the offense...i think it was a pipe dream that it was ever going to work to the level it needed to work as the rest of the players were basically given the leftovers and not involved enough.

14. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

They just couldn't figure out a way to play efficient basketball since Tracy's not the old form of his, everything became unstable and unpredictable and finally it broke into piece. Tracy's gone, Yao's hurt and prolly needs much more time than us expected him of coming back from that foot surgery.

The Yao-Mac duo is history. period.

15. h0m3t0wnh3r0

h0m3t0wnh3r0 Member

they are one of the most overrated duos of this decade.

16. h0m3t0wnh3r0

h0m3t0wnh3r0 Member

I AGREE

17. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Even when they were healthy, they didnt live up to expectations. Of course the injuries didnt help. While individually I think they are not overrated in the least, the duo is. Didnt work out, time to move on.

18. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

To be fair at their very best Yao and T-Mac looked pretty good together. Charles Barkley said that during some of the Dallas playoff games they were so good that it was "scary". And Magic Johnson himself said that Yao and T-Mac were reminded him of his play with Kareem.

The problem was that all that potential remained unfulfilled. Kareem and Magic could work together, Yao and T-Mac never could.

19. Mr. Space City

2005 we could have went far but when you have refs screwing you out of games it's hard to win

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Kareem and Magic also had one hell of a supporting cast as well.