1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We're going to get swept - these guys have no clue how to win right now.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 24, 2014.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

LOL you would think we lost both games by 50.

It took a league admitted mistake AND overtime just to win the 1st game.

howard did some good things game 2 and I do think that bev is slower and hurting more than he let on. Also we lost by 2 possessions in game 2 when clearly we weren't exactly playing lights out.

The pessimistic fan base here is getting comical.

Portland still has to win 2 games. Is the situation ideal? no. but to run out 'the sky is falling' is very premature and troll worthy. Not sure what all the joy is in declaring rockets dead and getting happy about it?

Rockets will get to show what they are made of these next 2 games but to just pass off as word of god a sweep when first 2 games (especially the 1st one) were practically pick ems is just being hater, not a rockets fan, pessimistic, not understanding it is a 7 game series.

Would hate to be in any adversity or war with you Lou. you would be running for the hills at first sign of a mosquito.

Wow this thread and fan base. SMH.

Let's lose the next game badly and come out like crap in game 4 then you can dance for joy.

1 person likes this.
  2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Collective soul was a good band

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think we will get swept, but then, I didn't think we would lose last night's game. Sh** happens so you never know. But it's very unlikely for a 4-5 seed matchup to end in a sweep for either team.

4. egriffin1

egriffin1 Member

I just can't see them getting swept. I always knew that the teams were even and the Rockets could lose. Just didn't see it happening like this. I fully expect them to come out strong Friday. Not to mention that there probably isn't any strip clubs in Portland on the level of Dreams.

5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yep and another thing that I made the mistake of doing, and all of us did was to think we would just roll over these guys like it was nothing.

We overlooked them admit it. Now we have to put our balls on the table and sack up. If we lose the series then so be it but I don't think the rockets are overlooking anything now.

Well I hope not and I am not going to make sweeping statements that it's all over when it's not. Especially considering that we didnt lose by 50 each game and in many ways should at minimum tied 1-1 according to league mistake.

It is what it is but to declare dead is just plain hater, no clue.

6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

That title sucks Sweet Lou! I understand the frustration, but that was down right low! WE WILL NOT GET SWEPT!!!

GO ROCKETS!!!

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would be happy if I had no clue and it proves me wrong. Sadly though, I fear you my friend are the one who can't see what is plain obvious to me.

This team is done. Actually, that's a misstatement. This group of individuals who wear the same uniform is done. That's more accurate.

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

so it is a 2 game series huh? gotcha.

losing in overtime on a bad call admitted by nba is obvious too?

okay. smh.

It's cool root for the other team and hate on rockets. troll this board with excitement when rockets lose. declare it done 2 games in.

I wish you had been on mavericks when they went down 0-2 against rockets.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I do, because you could have put your rant in one of the many other rant threads, even my personal favorite, "Hot garbage." But whatever.

Clutch is a good man providing this huge wall against which we can hurl our angst. And so it especially goes in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong: I'm very disappointed in the team. Very.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That team got very lucky. Remember that Harden had a horrific Game 4 much like the first 2 games of this series. But Parsons, Garcia, and Delfino helped carry the team and they barely eeked out a last second win. Then in Game 5 Harden finally showed up and Asik was clutch at the foul line in the 4th quarter. That was the only truly great game they played start to finish in last year's postseason.

The Rockets could win at least one of the two games this weekend and at least bring it back to Houston to make this interesting. But it's pretty clear at this point that they're saddled with a coach who doesn't have a clue what he's doing out there(remember that last year Sampson was still around to cover for McHale's incompetence) and Harden seems even less engaged this time around than he did a year ago.

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

+1. I believe. One game at a time.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Here's what LMA says: "We're going to stay hungry, stay humble "

You see, our guys don't get it. They don't understand that to win in team sports, you can't just say things like "We played terrible and still should have won" because that shows you don't know why you lost. It wasn't because you played terrible. It's because you don't know how to win.

That game 1 shouldn't have gone to OT. We had 3 13 point leads. How the heck do you blow 3 13 point leads? We've done it for the past two years and it came back to haunt us.

Oh...but wait? The 1994 Rockets blew big leads their first two games! Yeah, they did. But guess what. They had guys who really wanted to win and were willing to throw everything aside and just leave it all out there.

This group can't do that. They don't know how. They don't believe. The leadership is not there. Not from the stars, not from the coaches. Harden is melting down. You didn't see Hakeem melt down in 1994 down 0-2. He just went back to work. He was honest, reflective, and took responsibility, and doubled his effort.

That's what it takes to come back down 0-2 on the road. These guys don't have it. I don't believe in them because they don't believe in themselves.

Yes I am disappointed, and pissed. Pissed that I watched 82 games to see this half-hearted crap performance. What a waste of a season. Seriously, you call me out as a fan? I've been a fan for 30 years. And I have never seen a bunch of weaker crybabies than this group.

13. Clarinetmonster

Agree with everything you said her- but I still think that one of these 2 games will be a Rox victory as they come out with nothing to lose. ALmsot rather the sweep at this point so that McHale is sent packing faster.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Rockets are simply reflecting the attitude of their coach. If the comments in the other thread about McHale and Sampson are true, then we've got a head coach who refuses to hold players accountable and is trying to shift the blame for the team's late season collapse(which has carried over into this series) on the departure of one of his assistants.

So is it any surprise that the players don't hold themselves accountable(yes, they say the right things in interviews, but their actions suggest otherwise) and always blame their losses on some vague excuse like they didn't shoot well enough or play good enough defense? This group desperately needs a strict disciplinarian as their next coach. Someone who'll get in their faces and show no hesitation to bench anyone who doesn't play hard and smart out there for 48 minutes.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

you are right. I could have done that, and I probably wrote this more out of frustration.

I hope we don't get swept. I hope we win Friday. But the truth is I just can't see it from this group. McHale has failed as a leader. Not in this series, but for this season. He has failed to mold Harden and Co into the type of guys who don't quit.

And that's what is most disappointing. Seeing them quit when the game was still winnable. That's why I wrote this. I was so annoyed.

That's just offensive to all of the fans. Especially the ones who pay money to root for them.

I hope they really think about what it takes to win. And understand that in game 2, they were quitters and losers.

I can respect a team that loses but goes down fighting. But these guys really stunk up in the 2nd half. Especially the last 8 minutes.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think you make a very good point here. I would have thought that what McHale brings to the table:
    * player-friendly coach, former NBA star.
    * as a HOF player and champion, knows and can impart what it takes to win playoff games.
    * as a super-tough player, would impart that toughness, even nastiness, to his team.

But we're only getting the player friendly part, it seems. :(

17. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Your statement makes me sad b/c it's so honest and true.....couldn't have said it any better.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

this, Harden has shown last night he has absolutely no heart or desire to fight for a game. He showed that when **** hits the fan, he lies down and dies before it's all over.

I have never in my life seen such blatant display of defeated attitude in a close game by a star player, never. When Kobe shoots like ****, he doesn't just jog up and down the court and pretend he already lost the game, he plays hardnosed defense and will fight you for every possession and every rebound. What does Harden do, he jogs around the court, doesn't move on offense, holds the ball for a few seconds and then pass it off to Jeremy Lin. When he does try to initiate the offense, he turns it over dribbling, sits on the ****ing ground, while watching Chandler run full court to fight for a steal.

If your role players all play like they gives 1000 times more shet than you in a playoffs game, you should be on the ****ing bench.

I think the series is over sweeping or not, I have zero hope that Harden decides to find heart in 24 hours. This team needs some serious adjustments with coaching, defensive schemes, offensive schemes, but most importantly we need a coach to tell Harden if you are going to give up, you should get the **** out of the statdium

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

and you are not a weak cry baby huh? funny you can't even see your own self here. after 2 games you are running for the hills. nice job.

the fact that you are writing it off as fact when there are 2 games in is the most disturbing.

I would concede something if we hadnt gotten worked in overtime by nba no less AND were blown out ..clearly kicked ass. Both games have been pretty close dude.

I get it you are mad but to pass off as fact what hasn't happened yet and in same breath call people weak crybabies is about as rich and hypocritical as it gets. nice work. Great thread. Would read again.

Now when rockets lose series I will say you were right and you can jump for joy and stroke yourself. after 2 games when we should be 1-1? not so much.

But hey screw it crawl in a corner and die amIrite?

GTFO

20. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Man, talk about half empty.

I'm not saying we will win, but acting like we can't is silly. It's not like we didn't play better D on Aldridge, dude is playing out of his mind hitting contested jumpers from everywhere at a clip way above normal, while at least one-two of our go-to guys are playing worse than usual at any given time.

I'm not saying we deserve to win, or that we will, only that we can. Anyone looking to fit this into their "fire mchale" schpiel or whatever other narrative they like to cling to during regular season losses is overreacting, and I personally think we will find a way to make this at least more competitive than we have. Maybe they don't pull it together to recover, but I agree with the notion that we are not playing near our best ball, while perhaps Portland is.

Maybe we don't win the series like I thought we would, but I doubt we continue to play this far below our potential as much as I doubt they will continue to play as well as they have.

Rockets in 7.