1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Welp] "Llull Untouchable" 2021 Contract extension upped buyout to $13.5m

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Oct 5, 2016.

1. hvic

hvic Member

Thanks for the info man

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Good question. Maybe he just had a bucket list item to get drafted by an NBA team, then he was only interested in trolling.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

He said he wasn't interested in playing in the NBA in the months before he got drafted. So it's not like he didn't get the message out to NBA teams.

5. malakas

malakas Member

Some months ago I read that there is speculation that the NBA will raise the amount for the buyout with the new CBA. I think it was in a Pelton chat.

6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

**** lull be can keep suckin on his boys toes in Europe while we play man ball over here, and supersize my meal while I'm at it

7. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Let the little Wippy Wop continue being the big dog in the little back yard. NEXT

8. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

We just wanted to trade him anyway

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

meh if he doesn't want to come and play with the big boys its his loss. Some people are content being frogs in the well, I just wish he didn't enter the draft to begin with it just wastes team's time and resources. I think people who put their name in the draft but then withdraw or don't come should be penalized Orlando for example wasted a draft pick on a dude who didn't want to play in the NBA.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

malakas, Vivi, Deuce and 1 other person like this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I was wondering if or when you would chime in. This whole time I was thinking, "But Bima said the buyout went down."

I wouldn't be surprised if the Spanish press has some incorrect buyout number in mind or that they're peddling. Llull would be a great addition here. But I think money talks. Morey can't cheapskate him. In any case, what is the real buyout amount?

Bro, you ain't bulls***tin'.

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Next season may be too late for Mauri!

14. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I was generally keeping tabs on this, but I wanted to see if there was another side to the story before commenting.

I found the reports (or some posters' interpretation of them) odd that Llull would have signed ANOTHER extension in 2016 after having signed his last extension in 2015 (which was a six-year deal locking him up through 2021, the same year this alleged new extension covered). I think this is just local reports of the prior extension with incorrect financial terms. (If that was already fleshed out in this thread, my apologies. I haven't read all of the posts here.)

I still don't have an exact figure on Llull's buyout under his 2015 extension, but I did hear one report that it was believed to be about 5 million Euros. Using current conversion rates, that's about $5.6 million. Also, many buyout amounts decline over the life of a contract, so it's possible that this amount could be less by next summer. Again, this is all speculation.

FWIW, the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception (MLE) is currently scheduled to be $5.797 million for the 2017-18 season. That figure will likely increase -- perhaps greatly -- under the new CBA. With reports that an agreement between the owners and players is expected as early as a few weeks from now, that amount could be known pretty soon. Odds are that the "Excluded International Player Payment Amount" NBA teams can use to buy out international players without affecting the salary cap will also increase (above the currently scheduled $675,000 for the 2017-18 season) under the new CBA.

These factors should aid the Rockets in their efforts to bring Llull over next summer. It looked like the sides were pretty close in 2015, but to no avail. In 2017, however, the conditions for getting a deal done should be much better. That's no guarantee that anything gets done. But it's certainly an indication that Llull should be worth pursuing. Still.

malakas and Deuce like this.
  15. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

and I should care about this because?

I mean Harden is our PG now. Problem is solved. Move on....

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Everyone is SO quick to disregard Llull. So quick to jump on that foreign report on the buyout.

Count me as one that believes Llull will come over. And the Rockets want him. And the Rockets have a NEED for a backup PG that can score. So there is a defined role. Lets see what happens this summer.

heypartner likes this.
  17. Drogba

Drogba Member

Can we stop pretending Llull is good? The guy can't defend or shoot.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sorry, my bad for getting the year wrong. everything was buried in a bunch of old links off the main news article. Didn't intend to go on that tangent about the extension, just sharing the Buyout numbers, since we couldn't find it anywhere in press.

I see your point that prior sources (of over a year) should take precedence in this case, maybe even versus sources printing in press from Madrid's sports daily covering Llull all the time.

So we have sources for you (and Clutch) and Stein (not always the most reputable about Rockets news) saying reports for over a year have one number and Marca.com now gives another -- not so coincidentally the day after Llull's heroics vs OKC. My longtime college friend, and NBA pal, living in Barcelona/Madrid for 20+ years just told me Spanish Sports Dailies are not much more reliable than Stein wrt player signings. He said 50% marca is right over Stein with the other 50% marca is passing on planted news from Madrid to appease the fans about "Llull Untouchable" after the OKC win.

For what that's worth. At least my tweet giving Stein the Article link seems to have sparked him to ask around. So I accomplished something versus just 50/50 news.

Vivi, malakas and Deuce like this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I reposted Vivi's marca news because it seemed no one knew for sure about the buyout...just vague rumors. Can you chine in on the reliability of the reports you heard, and whether they are same or different source from what Stein might be saying.

Let's see if we can get an honest assessment of whether the untouchable buyout number from marca is more/less reliable than Stein's statements. Because Stein does agree it would be onerous, if true. Is Stein now backpedaling; is Marca getting info fed to them from Llull's team; are there other sources separate from Stein confirming the lower number.

for me: I'm out of this now. I'm not one to care much about conflicting reports like this, unless you or Clutch have additional info vs Stein.

20. BimaThug

Supporting Member

No need to apologize. Glad you were able to prompt Stein to dig further (or for Rockets "sources" to leak more accurate information to Stein).