1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Well it's pretty clear why Rudy had benched Nachbar

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by robbie380, Jan 22, 2003.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm not usually quick to judge but it's obvious that this guy has a LONG way to go. Nachbar is far from NBA ready. When he was in I spent most of my time just watching him on the court. His defense was very poor as advertised and on offense he was just slow, not deceptively fast as the scouting report said. I think the same reporters who were calling Nachbar NBA ready were the same guys calling Ming the biggest bust since Chuck Nevitt. I know people will say that his problems can be attributed to the fact that he has not had much game time, but that is not an excuse for how poor he looked. Even when Yao first started playing you could see the flashes of how good he was, with Boki there was nothing that I saw to make him look any good right now. He looked completely lost on both ends of the court and like he should be D-League. Dallas' Frenchman looked better than Boki even though it was his 1st game and he was missing shots. If you only saw the box score you would think "Hey look Boki got some time and got 5 points and 4 boards and that shooting will go up as he gets more time." But if you actually saw the game you'd say what I am saying. Also, those free throws he got were not because of what he did but more because of poor defense.

So in summary, you people who were calling for Boki to get more time over Glen Rice should understand now why Rudy had him riding the pine for so long. Hopefully, Boki will come around like Dirk and Peja did, but right now he looks terrible.

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Prepare to get flamed...

Don't ever, EVER say an ill word about either Nachbar or Yao...

Even if it's true.

3. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

A lot of people have this misperception that because he went went 30 for 30 from 3 point line during his workout (and the fact he's European), that this guy was a pure shooter. He's not.

He's not a Peja Stojakovic.

The scouting reports said he was a slasher. It's tougher to be slashing to the hole when your teammates don't have confidence in you and won't pass you the ball. Meanwhile, youre standing around waiting for a shot and rushing it.

He has good tools. He just needs to get more comfortable.
    Once he settles in, his teammates will trust him more and he can get more touches. Meanwhile, he needs to improve his defense.

Very few players peak at his age unless they're lazy, stupid, or get injured.

He should get better.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Well in the game he wasn't doing a lot of slashing. Posey is a slasher. You can see him move on offense. Nachbar just looked like me on offense. Standing around the 3 point like waiting for his teammates to do something. Also, Nachbar just flat out looked too slow to be a slasher. This guy is just not fast and did not show any flashes of speed at any point. He could not get past his man on offense and could not keep up with his man on defense. I know its only one game, but still this was just bad. He really did look like he did not belong in the NBA.

I know he will improve, but it is going to have to be improvement on a Yao-type/Dirk/Peja scale if he is going to be any good.

5. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

The same was said about Yao Ming.......

So tell us who actually had a good game tonight?...........they all sucked..........

I'm sure that Boki was shocked to be in the game. And it was obvious that his teammates ignored him for the most part. He took a few rushed shots, but how can you blame him? When the ball mistakenly makes it's way into his hands, why should he give it back to the others who hog it too much to begin with? Especially when we were getting stomped.

6. cmellon

cmellon Member

Now this is a bit unfair to Boki, since you only saw one game and made a judgment. Besides, he played at garbage time, when everybody is panick and clueless.

7. alaskansnowman

What about the first time he got the ball where he pump faked a 3, drove "deptively quickly" to the rim, and made a pretty nice layup?

That alone gave me confidence in his game. We all know his shot can be deadly, but I did not want him to be a stand still 3 point shooter. He has shown that his capable of much, much more than the Walt Williams/Matt Bullard/ to a certain extent Glen Rice role.

8. MingRules

MingRules Member

Give him some time please, like we did on Ming. I wish he can improve a lot after a couple of seasons.

9. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

You know what? If you can play Moochie Norris, you can pretty much play anyone in the NBA.

10. ScreamingRocketJet

I thought everyone looked like that in Rudy's offense? :D

11. acejeff5

acejeff5 Member

heck if you came off the bench for practically the first time all season you would be pretty cold also, i mean he played more tonight then he probably did all season combined haha, but anyway hopefully they play him more

12. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

polypheus is that you?

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I knew no one would even back up what I am saying. And it's not like I am saying he will never get better. I am just saying in his first chance where he got significant minutes he looked really bad. I expect him to be uncomfortable somewhat, but that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about just how flat out slow he looked and how poor his defense was. The reports of his defense being the main thing keeping him out of games were by no means exaggerated.

Alaskan Snowman....I didn't get to see that bucket by Nachbar since I only saw the 2nd half. From what I saw in the 2nd half was a player who looked like he had no business being in the NBA. I didn't pay attention to Dirk much his first season, but did he look like how Boki looked last night? I saw absolutely nothing positive about his game last night. I know pretty much everyone played bad, but still they had a clue what they were doing out there. Boki looked like he had none. The Mavericks' new Frenchman was playing in his 1st NBA game and it just looked like he belonged on the court and that he had some feel for the game. Boki looked like he had no feel for anything, so who knows where these NBA ready reports came from about Boki. Also, how do we know his shot can be deadly? Mirsad Turcan amazed scouts in shooting drills, did that mean he could nail shots in game? Anyhow, I expect him to be uncomfortable and lost at times, but it was much more than that. I certainly hope thats all the Dallas game was, and that he has a hell of a lot more game than he showed last night.

I know yall are just gonna hate on me for saying all this because it was only one game, but this game pretty much justified why Boki has got very little time this year and if he gets very little for the rest of the year I will understand why. He has a very long way to go.

14. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

If you can judge Boki with this one game, that would mean you apply your analysis of Yao in his first NBA game where he stunk up conseco stadium.

Give Boki time, he wanted to prove something thats why he rushed shots. Practicing and playing are very different, once Boki starts to play he'll be the next peja.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Boki is hitting the rookie wall. ;)

Seriously, is Rudy making a move to get Boki involved in the rotation? I mean, it's approaching the mid-season mark now. May Rudy is up to something. Or maybe it's just another thing in his gut feeling?

16. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

that's a good one...:D

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Has a small forward ever done well on offense? They always seem to struggle. Horry did pretty good but he played a lot at the 4 as well. It seems the 3 is always the last option for Rudy.

18. Sane

Sane Member

The reason the French guy looks like he belongs is because they are working him into a Point Forward role, meaning HE invloves THEM. As for Boki, I'd be delighted with him being a good 3-pt shooter, and a decent slasher. He moves without the ball well and apparently (never payed attention to this) is a good ballhandler.

Posey and T-Mo are holding the fort though. At some point, you have to wonder, who's your 3-pt threat? I know Steve is shooting more than 40% from 3-pt land, but he needs a 3-pt shooter to kick it out to.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'm still clueless on Boki. I am confident that the commitment to him will prove out. But last night? I still ain't seen nuthin' yet!

(After SA the Rox were still f-f-flat??? I just do not understand.)

20. rocketsrulz

rocketsrulz Member

man u guys are ready to bash on any player after a loss, it was just one loss to a very good mavs team. the rox just came out flat and never recovered, they're a young team. jeez, give them a little time to work out all the wrinkles.

we're changing from a guard-oriented offense into more of a half-court post team(sorta), though the changes are not apparent yet, we just gotta give this team more time into the season to work it out.

and you really can't judge a player from one game.