1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Welcome to the NBA, Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by A-Train, Nov 2, 2007.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

11-23 for 27 points last night.

He can stroke it from mid range, but still needs to work on his post game. The main thing he needs to do is get some weight gain 5000. I think he can put on about 20 pounds and still not lose any quickness.

2. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

If he's gonna be the next Tmac, then he's on the right path. Tmac was skinny and lanky when he first came too. If he can carry a team for more than 4 years all by himself (which is probably what's gonna happen anyways) like Tmac and not have the back problems.. then sky's the limit.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is really good, Portland made a MASSIVE mistake taking Oden.

DD

#3 DaDakota, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  4. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

They took Oden. Odom plays in LA.

5. DaDakota

Uh, right...

:p

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Portland made another franchise-changing mistake on a draft pick. Oden will not be a special player. Durant will be a superstar. When KD gains a little weight, gets a little stronger and is able to finish better in traffic, it will be over. He should have been 16/23 last night. He may never be Tracy when it comes to raw skills and talent, but he will be more of a tough-minded assassin on the court who will step on the neck of opposing teams.

Plus, he has a much purer stroke from outside than Tracy. At his height and length, that will be impossible to stop. Unlike Dirk, KD (1) can put the ball on the floor against smaller players and (2) he has a back-to-the-basket post-up game.

It was hard to watch the 4th quarter against the Suns. I badly wanted the Sonics to win but nobody else on their team could score when the Suns started playing defense. When KD got the ball, they smothered him. Carlesimo must develop some 4th quarter plays that allow the Sonics to capitalize on the doubling and tripling of KD. Even though they will lose, I hope TNT continues to show Sonics games.

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

If Damien Wilkins can keep shooting well from the outside, it will open up the floor for Durant.

The Sonics really need Durant to dominate this season. They need a player they can really latch on to and maybe drum up some support to keep the Sonics in Seattle. Carlesimo needs to give the ball to Durant and just let him go to town.

Did anybody hear the "Save our Sonics!" chant last night? Awesome...

8. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Damn that gotta really suck for Durant. He's barely a rookie in his first games and he already has the burden of shouldering the whole city. I feel for him.

They should build around Durant and Delonte, those 2 guys will be a pretty good back court combo.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agreed...It's a lot to ask for a rookie, but without another option, it'll be a long season...

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Don't discount Jeff Green. He obviously isn't ready to make the impact as a rookie like KD, but the guy is a keeper. He is very athletic, has an all-around game, good skills, etc. Going forward, he is a key building block for that team.

I agree Delonte West has raised his game up from last season. The Sonics need to find a way to dump Luke Ridnour.

11. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I'm impressed. He plays just like T-Mac too. it's like watching McGrady in a Sonics uniform.

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nobody could say if Portland made a mistake because nobody knows how good Oden will be. All we can say is that they would have been fine drafting Durant. Lets give Oden a couple of years and then judge...

13. DaDakota

Huh? I can say they made a mistake? They took a center who averaged about 17ppg over a wing player who averaged 25ppg in college...and was the consensus college player of the year.

Oden could become a great player, but Durant is more of a game changer.

I think Portland blew it...again.

DD

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sounds similar to what the Rockets did a long time ago.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oden showed up on Inside the NBA, said he named his dog "Charles Barkley McLovin"

I like how KD doesn't hesitate at all on his shots. when he bulks up in a year or two, watch out.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its not going to be the same Rockets vs Sonics if they move.
    I feel bad, the Seattle fans deserve better considering that their team has been consistently good for most of its existence.

17. igotask8board

igotask8board Member

Imagine, if Portland drafted Durant, they would not have traded Zach Randolph for virtually nothing (Francis buyout).

Randolph
    Aldridge
    Durant
    Roy
    Jack

Webster
    Rodriguez
    Miles
    Blake

NY would have probably bought out SF anyways.

18. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

The Sonics are going to be scary good if they end up with one of the top PGs coming out in next year's draft. I love what Durrant and Green can do. They are both long, quick, and very skilled.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

With Durant, Portland still would have made that trade. They wanted ZBo gone and SF's contract was for about $30MM less.

They would have:

Pryzbilla
    Aldridge
    Durant
    Roy
    Jack

Webster
    Outlaw
    Rodriguez
    Blake
    Green

With that roster, and excepting for Aldridge and Roy being injury-prone, they could have a killer team in a couple of years.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And his reward is to get to move to a terrible media market in a 1.5 horse town in one of the ****tier states in america. WELCOME KEVIN!