1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Welcome Home Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 21, 2019.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thanks for explaining. but it's clear that winning is nowhere near a priority, i feel embarrassed for the franchise when reading all this.

slothy420, Hakeemtheking and ak99999 like this.
  2. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Holy ish that is great info from Bima. That’s crazy that House could potential get more than the minimum this year AND we stay under the luxury tax. This might work out guys!

3. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Member

I think winning in the future is the priority...
    We are extending our window by staying under the tax this season so we essentially can be over the Luxury Tax the next few years without paying the repeater tax. It looks bad this season but in the long run, this move could turn out great, especially if we pick up a key free-agent this summer.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i have a hard time imagining what key free-agent is going to sign for the taxpayer MLE. but then again, i have an even harder time imagining tilman EVER paying the tax in ANY season going forward.

Hakeemtheking and ak99999 like this.
  5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While I am skeptical as well about Tilman Fertitta's commitment to paying serious luxury tax for a winner, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for this year. Other than the House situation, I'm not sure that any of the tax-saving moves has had a material impact on whether this year's team was winning or losing basketball games. And the logic behind the House situation specifically is so that the Rockets could KEEP House beyond this season.

That said, Tilman will have to "show me something" next season in order for me to stay onboard. Otherwise, I may end up lined up right beside you. We'll see.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't understand why we'd sign "1-2 guys" to 3yr deals. Without a buyout to pay, we can just sign House and Chiozza now, no? Maybe you are saying he won't take it, and you're trying to give him $750k with an under-the-table agreement to sign a minimum this summer.

We can sign House to $2.3m right now (v his current $1.5m offer).
    • Per Spotrac, we have $709,694 to spend
    • $2.302m prorated for 40 more days = $520,211 for ROS
    • Cut TJones
    • Sign Chiozza to a rookie ROS for 40 days = $189,483
    • $520,211 + $189,483 = $709,694
    • voila :D
    This assumes Capela doesn't realize all three of his incentive bonuses, and the DREB% one seems out of the question. This allows for WCF and REB% incentive to get paid.

TheRealAllpro and elmotsangtt like this.
  7. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Member

True, it is difficult to sign a key free agent but just like we pulled off a trade to get CP3 here, I expect us to pull off a trade if a key free agent decides to sign with us.
    I remember Morey saying a couple years ago, we just need them to commit to houston, we will have multiple ways to get them here.

Now Tilman paying the tax, at least both Morey and Tilman have said they are willing to pay the luxury tax so I assume they will.

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Bima dropping knowledge.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Under my outline, House would get paid the full $750k for this season (i.e., a two-year $2.3M deal, paid out as $750k this season and $1.65M next season), not the $520k prorated amount in your plan. I'm trying to lay out a scenario in which the Rockets pinch every penny possible elsewhere in order to give all of that money to House towards the end of this season. However, in order to ENSURE that the team avoids the tax, they'd have to wait until it is 99.99% clear Capela is missing both his incentives. Hence, the wait.

slothy420 and jevjnd like this.
  10. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Wish they would’ve resorted to all of this nonsense in the final year of CP3’s contract and not the first.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Is there still a chance where we can bring back Ariza?

12. anchel

anchel Member

There is something contradictory with Morey on the House topic. On the one hand, you think he's good enough to make worthwhile the haggle to get what you consider a multiyear bargain contract for the future. On the other, you are removing from the team a player you give yourself great value, while claiming to be going all-in for a championship run, diminishing your championship chances.

You're either not being honest at the second one, or you're trying the home run bringing him back for the last nine RS games, guessing or hoping you'll have no issues to re-integrate him on the team and create the neccesary chemistry for the new and ultimate rotation in barely 2 weeks, while you're competing for an important 2nd or 3rd seed.

slothy420 likes this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'll just add that i don't think they have any intention of re-signing shumpert and that acquisition was chiefly for the expiring contract to fall of the books this summer. so in that sense, there were likely many other deals available for a player who would contribute a lot more to this season but they went with the best salary dump available instead.

14. anchel

anchel Member

Well, as weird as it sounds, I'd say we have already missed Ennis at several games. For instance, I don't think we lose the Lakers game with him on the team. We neither know if we could have got Kief Morris by offering him part of the MLE. Or what kind of trade Morey could have made at the deadline to get more roster help, being allowed to surpass the tax. Add the House situation (to be solved), and you have several tax-saving moves (or no-moves) with potential winning impact.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

just wondering if anyone here might know, are we the only team who didn't use our MLE this year?

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm trying to get him on the team now. Since my method gives him a higher base salary (more total money thru 2020 or whenever), he's more apt to take it now.

btw: I'm not following that $750k in one day, as a signed 2yr deal for minimum base salary. Can you explain that further.

17. amaru

amaru Member

To be fair, nobody the Rockets can realistically sign at this point will help them win.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the front office justified a whole season worth of salary dumps and non-utilization of our MLE with the carrot of being able to improve after the trade deadline in the buyout season though

19. amaru

amaru Member

Guys have to be willing to sign here in order for that to happen. Morris would have been great but it didn't happen. Also, the Rockets did pretty well in the buyout market with Rivers and Faried who will be in the playoff rotation if healthy.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

well how convenient for tilman that nobody wanted to sign here i guess he's just forced to stay under the lux tax thatsa shame. and while rivers/faried have been very pleasant surprises, they were signed as stopgap pickups to fill in for CP3/capela injuries and not really of the trade deadline we're going to sign a terrific buyout free agent variety the front office was alluding to