1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Weighted Average (By Minutes Played) of All 30 NBA Rosters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 4, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

Something else that needs to be remembered is that now that they have there back court and they are trying to attract another star player so in a sense they want to win as many games as possible and stay as competitive as possible so that a player like (DeMarcus Cousins or LMA) see's that all this team needs is a PNR big man maybe I can be that player that can take this team over the top.

Thus far Lin/Asik/Harden have been making Morey look brilliant. If you look at some of the other extensions that were handed out (Jrue Holliday got 40 million/4years) & (DeMar Derozan got 40 million/4years) & Lin/Asik at (25 million/3 years) does that not seem like a steal to you. Players will notice that Morey is capable of building a good team & see that McHale is capable of coaching a competitive roster.

More

2. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

If we are looking at weighted averages I think we should play White, he is by far the heaviest rookie. All the good teams have higher averages than us so we need a heavyweight in there.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Solid thread Carl.

My take on it is this-

The Rockets have some serious decisions to make by the end of the season on the longevity of the careers of Patrick Patterson & Marcus Morris with the Rockets. If they cant produce consistently this season, they will be moved. Its as simple as that. Did you people forget who the GM of the Rockets is?

With the rookies, their performance this season is really just about taking that step from college/Euro's to the NBA. Nothing is really expected of them, and anything you get from them is a bonus.

So why the fuss here? The Rockets used lottery picks to draft both Patterson and Morris. Doesn't it seem counterintuitive to cut their career learning curve short by benching them for first year rookies? So next year, what are you going to want to do??... bench Jones, and D-Mo to play the next crop of rookies and destroy their career year where they need to prove themselves?

The reason why alot of teams are forced to play their rookies more minutes is because they actually have more scrub veteran role players like Demare Carroll, Anthony Tolliver, or Roger Mason, etc. where the GM/Coach only really have them on the roster as leftovers from a previous trade, or just straight up roster fillers. The Rockets do not have many of those. They have the most 1st and 2nd year players on their squad then most other NBA teams.

This is PatPat & Morris' time to prove themselves as NBA players. Its 3 months of consistent PT, and if they don't prove themselves guess what... MOREY WILL MOVE THEM, and you will get your fill of Jones, D-Mo, and possibly even White.

Give them 3 months... lets see what they can do before the Rockets just throw them to the wolves.

1 person likes this.
  4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised "Lakers are old" thread... repped

5. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

I don't know why people are surprised by the fact that the rookies aren't playing. I mean Patterson in his rookie season didn't play until halfway through the year. Aaron Brooks was sent to the d-league in his rookie year. I know Jones played well during pre-season but it's just the PRESEASON. I listened to the rockets podcast with Friedman and Ackerman and Craig made a good point in that if the rookies deserve playing-time then they will get it.

Also, I'm sure the Harden trade had something to do with it. When you only have had 2 days of practice with your new teammates and you want the best chance of winning, you'd want the new guys to play with the experienced players as much as they can so they can have a feel for each other in a short amount of time. Now if you have new guys + rookies then you're chances of winning goes down.

I think the more practice that this team gets, the more likely it is for Jones to play. (I say Jones because he's the most ready out of all the rookies)

6. gah

gah Member

Agree, give Patrick 3 months to prove he's more than a consummate role player, after that I'd be ready to look elsewhere.

7. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

Reminder Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJmokqlvMFw

The thing I see in T-Jones that will eventually lead him to be our starting 4 this year - Are his nose for the ball, pick and roll ability to FINISH, shot blocking and array of offensive moves and shots.

Can you imagine him playing in the offense with Harden eating up defenders? I think giving T-Jones space would lead to a TON of great opportunities.