1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Weekly Power Rankings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yostros99, Nov 5, 2012.

1. arjun

arjun Member

yup pretty much

2. yostros99

yostros99 Member

just curious what you think are power rankings. Seems like you just go based on record. Well here you go then: http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

Just place them in order of record and you got your "power rankings"

Simple, sure the Clippers have 1 more loss then the Nets and same amount of wins. I don't do my power rankings based on record. You want facts? How about how the Clippers have actually beaten good teams like Lakers, Spurs (TWICE), Heat, Hawks. The Nets? Besides the Clippers there 8 wins are pretty much jokes. The Clippers being the best team they have beaten so far. The rest? Toronto, Orlando (twice), CLE, Sac, POR, BOS....

So basically, my power rankings have to do with several factors. Record (but not as much as other power rankings), strength of schedule, eye test, and injuries. If you want what many people on CF think power rankings are, please read the link above with the standings.

3. yostros99

yostros99 Member

oh, and the nets win over the celtics? Was at home, without rondo, and they squeaked out a victory just by 5 points. So yea, Nets might have better record, but they are NOT the better team.

4. fmp087

fmp087 Member

That's wsup ... Too many haters in this thread.

5. yostros99

yostros99 Member

ha, thanks.

I really don't mind that haters. There will always be people disagreeing about something. I just would prefer if they were somewhat logical arguments.

6. yostros99

yostros99 Member

7. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

I, personally, like your rankings.

I think the 76ers will move up the power rankings as the season progresses. I like that team... maybe just because I was a big Even Turner fan at Ohio State.

Have you thought about listing the team's previous week's rankings as well? I see that on most power rankings. It's nice to have a quick gauge on whether a team has improved or worsened week-to-week.

8. yostros99

yostros99 Member

Since this is my first year doing this, I'm always listening to new ideas as far as how to improve the look of the rankings. That does sound like a good idea, and I will try to work on that as the season moves on.

As far as the Sixers. Yea I think Turner is going to have a big year, and Young has played very well this year. If Bynum can get back then this team can be a threat in the East, however they likely won't make it past the 1st round once their in.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This seems more like a list of how good these teams will be by the end of the season then a current "power ranking". Nothing wrong with that, either.

10. yostros99

yostros99 Member

That's part of the way I chose to weigh the certain teams. Some teams like the Lakers may be higher then they should be because of expectations, but the more they suck the more I have to put them lower. Same goes for the Warriors for example: They are higher then I thought they would ever be, because they are playing great basketball, but may be lower then another team they are currently better then because I don't think they will stay this good all season. So many factors go into it.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Power rankings should be based on expected future performance, factoring in both past and current records as well as advanced statistics and more.

They are not about how a team is doing currently. That's stupid. Here is a link if you want a ranked list of how teams are doing currently:

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html

With that said, I agree this is not a very good power rankings list.

12. yostros99

yostros99 Member

appreciate the "backing" me up there. no one will have the same power rankings list, as everyone feels differently about every team. can't imagine my list is so far off from other people's lists, though everyone is entitled to their opinion.

13. yostros99

yostros99 Member

14. David Stern

David Stern Member

15. yostros99

yostros99 Member

not sure where they went hmm...

16. yostros99

yostros99 Member

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Dude...those have to be some of the worst rankings I have ever seen...wtf is wrong with you? (no offense intended)

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ignore my last post, I clicked on your first post and didn't realize it was from a while back :grin: . But you can understand why I was like the Lakers at 3?!?!

19. yostros99

yostros99 Member

no problem. yea they are updated on mondays, so yea lakers not at 3 anymore

20. yostros99

yostros99 Member