1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Weekly Essentials: 'We have a problem!' Houston's M.O. no mo' [CBS Sports]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jan 7, 2008.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Weekly Essentials: 'We have a problem!' Houston's M.O. no mo'

Tony Mejia Jan. 7, 2008
    By Tony Mejia
    CBSSports.com Staff Writer

When the Houston Rockets take the court Tuesday night in D.C., they'll attempt to do something unprecedented in the Tracy McGrady era -- complete a three-game winning streak without him.

That's an amazing statistic given the chances the past few years. The game against the Wizards is expected to be the two-time NBA scoring champion's 60th absence since he was acquired by Houston in the summer of 2004. Most of that time has been surrendered to recurring back problems, though right now the culprit is a sore left knee compounded by a strained tendon.

[​IMG]Luther Head is one of several Rockets stepping up with T-Mac on the mend. (Getty Images)

The Rockets went 2-2 without McGrady in his first season with the team, 7-28 in 2005-06, 2-9 last season and opened up 2-5 before weekend victories against the Magic and Knicks.

"You hope you can take wins and you run with it. The schedule starts to turn in our favor now," Shane Battier said. "We've got a stretch where we can go on a roll here, we feel, and start a win streak."

Washington has also been trying to survive without its best player, star point guard Gilbert Arenas. The Wizards have managed to do so and stay above .500 without him and his backup, key veteran Antonio Daniels, who returned only last week. Despite the attrition, they would make the playoffs if the season ended today.

The Rockets, who evened their record to 17-17 by defeating New York on Saturday, wouldn't. They opened the week 10th in the Western Conference.

"We've had a brutal schedule. Not to make excuses for ourselves, but it seems like we've been away from home every other day since training camp," said Battier. "Now that the new year is here and the schedule goes in our favor and we have some more home games, we need to capitalize on that and get some momentum.

"Look at Portland. Portland started out 5-12 and they're on an unbelievable hot streak. Confidence is an amazing thing in this league and once you get it, it can really propel you to a higher level."

It's true that the Rockets haven't benefited from the schedule makers, playing only one stretch with at least three consecutive home games. Meanwhile, they've already had three road trips of at least that length and are currently in the midst of a stretch of four of five away from home. Following Wednesday's visit to Madison Square Garden, the Rockets will be home for five in a row and seven of their next nine, giving them an opportunity to claw back into a race they were expected to be a major player in.

Houston opened 6-1 under new coach Rick Adelman, making everyone who jumped on its bandwagon and declared it a championship contender look awfully smart. Its depth was a significant weapon. A roster fortified by offseason additions Luis Scola, Mike James, Steve Francis and the unexpected return of Bonzi Wells made the team strong and deep. Then the bottom fell out. The Rockets came up empty in a grueling stretch against the Lakers, Spurs, Suns, Mavericks and Heat, raising doubts. McGrady missed a couple of those games with elbow tendonitis, but it became impossible to ignore that despite all the sweeping changes, the Rockets still weren't good enough to compete with the Western Conference's elite. Then McGrady's knee problems began -- he shot 6-for-28 in a pair of games trying to play through it -- and he has since shut down, missing all action since Dec. 28.

"We're all just trying to weather the storm until he comes back," said point guard Rafer Alston. "Everyone is trying to get into their rhythm, so when he does come back, we know he's going to have it going. We just want to be able to continue what we're doing to help him out."

At the very least, the Rockets have shown some signs of life since 2008 began, pooling their resources instead of looking around for someone to come save them. They've done a better job playing through Yao Ming (averaging 23 points and 10.2 rebounds in the past six games without McGrady), who is really stepping up as a leader without overshadowing his supporting cast. He helped Houston win in Orlando, holding Dwight Howard to just eight rebounds -- nearly half his normal average -- and causing the Magic star to foul out of a game for the first time since last Jan. 20.

Wells and Luther Head, seeing increased playing time as a result of McGrady's absence, have combined to average more than 25 points per game. Wells is pitching in seven boards per game over the past six, while Head has scored in double figures every time out since moving into the starting lineup. Alston has chipped in with averages of 17 points and five assists and his backup, rookie Aaron Brooks, has carved out a role as a tempo-changer, scoring a career-high 22 in the win over the Knicks.

"It's difficult to win big without your best players, but in the interim you can win games in the regular season with a collective effort," said Battier. "With everyone working together, we've entered a stretch where we're playing better basketball. Earlier in the year, we were really stagnant. We're really moving the ball now, shots are falling and we need to continue that when Tracy does come back."

The Rockets are cautiously optimistic McGrady might play this weekend, perhaps as early as Friday against slumping Minnesota. While that's great news, it's about time his teammates stopped circling his potential return date on their calendars; they have finally started showing up for games without him. Given the hole they've dug for themselves and the unexpected rise of the Trail Blazers that Battier referenced, every win they pick up now is no longer a bonus but necessary.

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

So I break it down like this:

Without McGrady
    2004-05: 2-2
    2005-06: 7-28
    2006-07: 2-9
    2007-08: 4-5

I think we can safely say that this 4-5 team is better than the 7-28 team or the 2-9 team of the last two years, judging by the records.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But how many of those games was Yao out too?

Those stats are skewed.

DD

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Possible. I take "without McGrady" to mean McGrady only, though. But you never know. The numbers add up to 15-44, which sounds like the usual "without T-mac" number. In which case, I still like my point :)

5. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

This team is far better equipped to play without one superstar than any of the earlier JvG teams. I'd argue that for the first time in his career Yao looks good in an offense instead of everyone else stagnating while Yao puts up big numbers in a losing effort. He's scoring, his teammates are scoring and they're really getting a solid understanding of how to help each other out. The Rockets are coming to understand that when the other team doubles Yao they have to pay. And of course when they don't double Yao they're going to pay. As Hakeem said, "They have no answer".

That's not to say that McGrady isn't important. That's 1/3 of their salary cap that's locked up with him. The Rockets are a pretty good team now without McGrady. With T-Mac they might be a great one, if he can fit in. If the Rockets' opponent has to worry about doubling T-Mac and Yao too? Whoa nelly.

There's a lot of drama coming up here in the next four or five games. The games against the Wizards and Knicks are obviously must win's. And the games after that are going to be all about T-Mac and how he adjusts. Exciting time to be a fan.

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yeah, I agree with your post. It just seems so crucial that McGrady be able to integrate into this new style. He's getting to the point where he needs to think about his career. If he doesn't work out with the Rockets, he could end up traded somewhere terrible and that could be it for his championship aspirations.

Man I was just looking back at the 05-06 roster. Ah, the memories of that brutal losing streak. But that was so important to Luther and Chuck Hayes, even Keith Bogans. Actually, I really loved the team then, when they were scrapping away. Van Gundy deserves some credit for Head and Hayes. I did enjoy the team in those days.

Memory Lane
    Derek Anderson
    Keith Bogans
    Ryan Bowen
    Stephen Graham
    Juwan Howard
    Maciej Lampe
    John Lucas
    Moochie Norris
    Stromile Swift
    David Wesley

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Remember David Wesley forced to play PG? He did his best but the guy should have been retired.

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Go find the team's record with only Yao out and compare that to whatever the actual record is with only McGrady out.

That will disprove what you are trying to hint at.

9. rv2843

rv2843 Member

We couldn't compare apple with orange. When Yao is out, there is a decent backup named Deke, however, when TMac is out, there is not backup.

10. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

I have to say they also go back like four years. This is not a JVG team, where he put shackles on his players, to control the game. JVG couldn't have gotten any offense out of the Bulls dynasty, he would have turn them into a great defensive team. This team doesn't have the same type of players that those teams had. And this Yao is not the same Yao from previous years. Yao has grown, BIG! So IMO comparing the win/loses with or without, Yao or Mcgrady gives us a pile of nothing. New coach, new players and a grown up Yao.

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I thought the article was gonna be about how media outlets would stop using "Houston we have a problem" as a headline to describe our sports teams when they're in dire straits.

Oh well.

12. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I'd say this year we do have a decent back up for Tmac in Bonzi. In the past the lack of another player who could create their own shot was painfully apparent though. Yao has also improved each year, and our team depth is much better than in the past which all make us less reliant on Tmac even if he is still our best player.

Things are improving, but then again when you are sub 500 that isn't hard to improve on. I'm going to wait a month or so before I decide if things are "fixed" or not though.

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

This is not comparing apples and oranges. It's comparing the Rockets without T-Mac to the Rockets without T-Mac.

And to tcadriel, new players/coach doesn't matter. If I say "Michael Jordan's Bulls are better than this year's Bulls," are you gonna say, "New players, new coach: can't compare"? I hope not.