1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Web development help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davo, Sep 17, 2002.

1. davo

davo Contributing Member

I know a few of you guys are into web page development, and I'm looking for some help and advice.

I am part of an Aussie Rules fantasy comp that has members spread all over the world. We basically run the comp using an excel spreadsheet and conduct drafts, trades etc via instant messaging conferences. Over the years it is getting more and more onerous to administer, and what I would really like to do is create a web age that allows us to run the comp, similar to something like Yahoo’s Fantasy Football system.

I have basic web development skills, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. The components/functions of the web page that I want are:-

- Player database, scores/stats etc kept in an excel spreadsheet
    - Ability for coaches to log in individually and manage their team , ie select starters, pick up free agents,
    - Publish schedules, results, standings etc

How complex would it be to achieve this? Could I do this using mostly Frontpage and an Excel spreadsheet as the database? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

if you are asking, then it is too much work.

I suggest checking to see if someone has already done this as freeware. Surely there's got to be a freeware database tool for fantasy leagues by now.

#2 heypartner, Sep 17, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2002
  3. davo

davo Contributing Member

I've scoured the net looking for something to help heyp - no luck so far.

If I were to attempt such a task, what are the basic steps? Anyone?

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

<i>How complex would it be to achieve this? Could I do this using mostly Frontpage and an Excel spreadsheet as the database? </i>

You "could" but I might add points to why maybe you wouldn't. Are you planing on having the browser open the spreadsheet in Excel on the client? This would mean that Excel has to be on every client. And getting any updated information back on the "master" spreadsheet would be a nightmare. So if you are only planning on using Excel as a DB and you have Excel loaded on the web server...of course you could save the file(s) as tab delimited file(s) and create your own reader and writer for your asp pages to get around Excel on the web server.

<i>- Player database, scores/stats etc kept in an excel spreadsheet </i>

Not too much of a problem - it just depends on the size of the spreadsheet. Be sure and open the sheet readonly.

<i>- Ability for coaches to log in individually and manage their team , ie select starters, pick up free agents, </i>

This could be the problem. Do you manage the registration process or do you want to allow for self-registration? Self-Registration requires write access to the Excel file. Even if you do the managing of the registration, adding/changing players, etc, requires them to update to the Excel file. That asking for locking issues.

<i>- Publish schedules, results, standings etc </i>

This would not be a problem.

Assuming SQLServer out of the question, I might suggest an "upgrade" to Access and use that for your db. You can still import and export your data in and out of Excel if that is what you feel most comfortable with. Your asp queries and updates are smoother and easier since it is a "real" db. However, you can corrupt an Access db when updating it so be sure to make regular backups in case the repair doesn't work.

But the bottom line is you can use Excel as you db if your users don't mind getting locked out while someone is updating the file...and hope that someone doesn't walk away from the pc in update mode while the they fix themselves a sandwich.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Doesn't Excel have the ability to read a text file and parse out the coulmns for each row (one row is one line in the text file)?

If you ever send this database via email or have it d/l-able from a web site, your friends will thank you for not using Excel. Excel can auto-launch VB scripts (or an Excel macro) when opening one of its files, which is not a Good Thing (tm).

6. movement

movement Contributing Member

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

<i>Doesn't Excel have the ability to read a text file and parse out the coulmns for each row (one row is one line in the text file)?
    </i>

Yes. And you can write your own text column reader/writer for your asp pages. This would get around you having to have Excel on the web server.

<i>
    If you ever send this database via email or have it d/l-able from a web site, your friends will thank you for not using Excel. Excel can auto-launch VB scripts (or an Excel macro) when opening one of its files, which is not a Good Thing (tm).
    </i>

Assuming that they can only select from list(s), they should not be able to hack your sheet - only the asp page running on the server can write to it. User name and Password fields would be open text but they would only used as a match check field (you would not want them load an open field because they could enter a function that would run once it was updated on the sheet - of course you should set something like a 10 character limit check for these field on a self-registration). And assuming that you are not streaming the xls file down to the client and she/he pushing it back up to the server - in that case he could really do some damage - not only introduce a rouge vbs but they could complete change the structure, etc). But if you are only letting the user change data via list(s) on the asp page - using Excel for the db, you should be ok. Though I still wouldn't recommend using Excel for a web server's db.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Davo,

I agree with ArtV. Access with Frontpage might be the way to go. I'm not up on all the latest with them, since I'm a Java/Unix programmer, but last I knew, MS was trying to get some HTML generator code automation for hitting an Access DB.

The steps are going to start with creating a database. Excel can output that, but you probably need more than one table. You definitely need a "User" table for each General Manager, because you'll need some type of security to require logins to each team's info.

Once all this is set up, you can use Frontpage to help create ASP pages or just right the ASP itself. The ASP scripts will open the database and do the commands to pull out info for placement in HTML.

You will need to set up an IIS server at home to develop on to help make it go faster. You can upgrade any 2000 Pro to an IIS server for free. See Microsoft.

Another suggestion, my very first ASP job was using NetObject Fusion about 5 yrs ago. They had example shopping cart code that your could read to help make the learning curve easier. You might look for an equivalent free tool out there that is an ASP editor or scriptwriter. There should be something out there will sample code on hitting a simple database.