1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wearing another team's apparel

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by zoork34, May 31, 2007.

1. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

Ok, so I dont normally start threads, but I thought this might draw some interest. To give some background, my wife has been a big St. Louis Cardinals fan her whole life, but she has never really had a fav. NBA or NFL team. Whenever we go to Rockets games or Texans games, she will wear Rockets or Texans stuff, and if we go to an Astros game when they aren't playing the Cards, she will even wear Astros stuff, like the cool 'Stros dress that I got her. So a few weeks ago, I took her to St. Louis to a Cards game and there was a cool yellow Cardinals hat there (I like to wear yellow stuff), and she suggested that I get it because I like yellow. Buuuuut I told her that I would never wear it because it was Cardinals apparel and it would just feel weird. Of course, she didnt like that and brought up how she always wear's my team's stuff, so I should do the same. What do y'all think?

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Hell no.

But seriously I think if it isn't your hometown team or the place you live, you shouldn't wear it. I hate going to the movies and seeing people with Vick, Kobe, Jerseys and Yankee hats, etc...

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

that's grounds for a divorce. atleast she didn't want you to wear a mavericks cap. you can kill someone for that.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Thread is useless without pics of wife in Astros dress.

PS No, you cannot wear Cardinals gear. You're a man.

5. XxShadyPinkxX

XxShadyPinkxX Contributing Member

Don't give in.

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I have an authentic Denver Nuggets old school jersey that I wear on occasions. I wear it to concerts sometime.

Kinda gay know that I think about it.

oh well.... style before comfort.

7. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

This year in my 8 yr old son's little league they used MLB teams with the sponsors. His coach chose the Braves. I told him when he hits a homerun I will wear a Braves cap, I hate them by the way. His first at bat of the year he jacks on over the right fielders head and had an inside the park homerun. I wore the cap for 14 games, I made sure I didn't wear that cap for too long after the game.

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

well I own mutiple jerseys from different teams, and yes I should be killed cause I wore a LeBron jersey to a Rockets game during LeBron's rookie year and my TJ Ford Bucks jersey to the game.

that's probably the only time ill ever do that, ill still wear the other team jerseys but just not at Rockets game and for the record I do owm over 25 Rockets jerseys, hell I even have a Rafer and Eddie Griffen jersey.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Buy it then "lose it."

10. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Wow, how much do you spend on apparrel?

I shelled out $60 for my shooting shirt, and that is the most I have ever spent on Rockets apparrel. Usually just opt for a Rockets t-shirt and hat.

BTW, where is a good place for Rockets hats? A nice fitted hat, but not too fancy. I'm not going to be in any rap videos or anything.

I've looked everywhere(Lidz, Toyota Center, Sports Authority, etc...), and I still haven't been impressed.

11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

If you're not a rapper or a 10-year-old and you wear jerseys to places other than the ballpark, you're a moron.

And you're a moron if you're a rapper who wears jerseys. Especially to the ballpark. Funny how that works.

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Agreed. Though I think there should be an exception if a player is respected and retired.

Magic, Bird, Jordan, Montana, DiMaggio... OKAY

Stockton, Malone... UNACCEPTABLE

13. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

ebay my good man, I never buy full price unless its rare, I usually get Swingmans on ebay for less than 50 bucks.

as for hats, same thing, ebay and check out Hibbet Sports at Sharpstown, the only reason I go to that mall and they have pretty damn good deals on hats.

#13 Dave2000, May 31, 2007
    Last edited: May 31, 2007
  14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Make sure to wear a bulletproof vest undernearth your swingman.
    it's a good tip.

15. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

It sounds like your wife is more of a casual fan, in which case such shenanigans are a little more acceptable.

A true fan NEVER wears another team's jersey. The only acceptable times is when your team moves, i.e. Oilers to Titans. In this case, it acceptable to either 1) remain loyal to the franchise, even though the team's name is different and you are cheering for a different city's team or 2) pick a new team, such as the Texans.

You should, under no circumstances, wear anything Cardinals just because you typically "like yellow" or she wear's Astro's stuff. There's a man law about this.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

relationships are about compromise.

compromising with HOT girls... that is.

otherwise, don't give an inch!

17. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

If its my team, Houston or Cal, I will never wear another teams apparel to one of their games. NEVER...

That said I will wear a Twins cap to a Twins game and I've worn Giants' gear to Giants' games. I own an Arsenal United jersey which I wear every now and then because its a nice jersey and I don't care that much about soccer. I also own a Carling rugby jersey that I wear ever now and then.

On a side note I was invited to a Phillies game two years ago at Citizens Bank Ballpark and had 5th row seats behind home plate by someone in the Phillies organization. When I got to Philly I was wearing my Stros cap and was told that wasn't a good idea since the Stros were in a race with the Phillies for the wildcard. I didn't want to buy a Phillies cap but luckily I had packed my Colt 45's hat figuring that no one would recognize that. At the game an old guy sitting a few seats away from us recognized the hat as being from Houston. Luckily though he thought it was great to see a hat like that since he hadn't seen one since the early 60's.

18. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Your wife doesn't have a good foot to stand on in this argument.

Women are objects so it doesn't really matter what teams they wear as long as they look pretty in them. Women aren't expected to know sports teams, so just the simple fact that they can coordinate apparel with the right sport is good enough and above the average intelligence of normal females. A woman wearing sports apparel, especially the sexy kind, is hotter, doesn't matter if they are even wearing Lakers apparel. I think it has something to do with men's subconscious need to have sex with sports athletes, but if it's in a females body, it's okay. but i'm not gay, not that there's anything wrong with that.

When guys wear sports apparel, its different, you're identifying with a particular tribe, you take the bad and the good things that go with it. Like Yankees fans, you're wearing yankee stuff because you want to inform the rest of the world that you are a complete and utter prick. You want to tell people that if you have enough money to buy a sports car, you'd buy something like a corvette, because that's what jackasses drive. At the same time, when you identify yourself with a tribe, a true sportsfan cannot wear colors of another tribe.

For women, this concept doesn't work because women were traded as objects in tribal culture in exchange for beads, sharp stones and other women. This is why it's okay for them to wear apparel of other teams, because it gives the male the sense of conquest of taking an opposing tribes females. Likewise, this is why we have cheerleaders, to tantalize the other teams with your finest women and to show the home players that a loss would cause the loss of your female objects. In the old days, if a visiting team won, they would gain possession of the home teams cheerleaders. Unfortunetly, this practice has long been abandoned in our modern age and has not been enacted since 1987. Athletes will still often see the local strip clubs and prostitutes of the cities they visit to get a taste of local delicacies and to embolden their sense of conquest.

19. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

My in laws are really nice and bring us stuff back from any trip or trade show they go on. They even try to get me sports stuff becuase they know I would like it. Howver the last couple of gifts I have had to give away. They got me a nice cubs cap and a cardinals shot glass. I will NEVER use either of those.

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

you live in houston right? So that means she wears astros gear 5 times of the year if you have to wear cards stuff once? that's fair.