1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We want you Dragic!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Dec 27, 2014.

?

Do you want Goran Dragic to come back to H-town?

1. Yes! I want Dragic!

301 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. Meh

82 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You basically want a playmaker and a scorer next to Harden or for Harden as a sub.

You underestimate the need here is not as strong.

Dragic at least wants to be the 2nd or at worst 3rd option on a team.

He won't get many attempts here and he needs the ball in his hand to be effective.

As of now he is most effective as the No. 1 or No. 2 scorer.

But we have Howard and Smith now. I doubt they will be happy unless they are gone.

I don't think everyone can be equally happy and co-exist unless Dragic takes a backseat and will fall in as the 4th option.

I think a bench scorer or pure playmaker off the bench would be better suited for this team.

One that does not demand Dragic' money.

1 person likes this.
  2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Isaiah Thomas would be a good pickup. Don't really like that contract though.

3. Rokman

Rokman Member

Dream scenario:

1. Phoenix falls to at least the 10 seed.

2. Rockets make it to at least the WC Finals

3. Rockets convince Smith and Bev to take a pay cut to compete long term as a unit much like the Spurs.

4. Howard, Harden, Smith, Ariza, Brewer and Beverley all recruit Dragic for the team and he too takes a lesser deal to compete year after year for a championship.

5. We win a ton of Championships and break all kinds of league records

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Why the hell would Dragic be a 4th option?

This team desperately needs another play-maker on the perimeter. Dragic would be the perfect fit. He would come in and be the 2nd option right besides Dwight and right after Harden.

Harden>>>>Dragic=Dwight

5. GMNot

GMNot Member

Ideals are always laudable. They seldom exist in the real world.

The ink is barely dry on Smith's signing. The Rockets still don't have Jones available. They won't know how close they might to be to feeling some "ease"until everyone is healthy and some chemistry has been acquired through playing together and seeing what rotations and player combinations do what and against what. But 21-7 with all the injuries hasn't happened with a bunch of lucky wins. There's more going on here. Harden is a huge factor. And he is on a mission.

I have certainly said that Beverly needed to be more of an offensive threat, and he looks better this season in that regard. Is he the ideal? Probably not, but the ideal may not be available. No matter the point guard on this team, if Harden isn't on the floor, I don't think Dragic or anyone else can keep the same pressure on the defense.

I think it would be wise to let the "newbies" (to the Rox system) settle in, get a feel for playing in different combinations before pulling the trigger on what looks or sounds great on paper. If there is a further upgrade needed and one to be had by the trade deadline, (that isn't cutting one's nose off to spite the face) we know from the Bosh dream that the Rockets aren't afraid to pull the trigger. But the Rockets have not been mistake-free and know that there can certainly be regrets. (Many here would rather have kept Black rather than "having" to keep Dorsey because of his contract. And Adrien, too. I think Dorsey has more pluses than minuses. The point is, ideals seldom happen.) Smith was wanted but, in this instance, not planned. Patience is definitely a virtue in most cases.

This team plays better as an underdog rather than a favorite. Players who always have, in their heads, something to prove, just work harder. And fans, even though they complain about respect, are more avid fans because of it. Being close to the ideal, but maybe a hair shy, might be better in this instance. It's that fine line between cockiness and energetic confidence. Harden's "mission" will, hopefully, spill over to everyone else.

I say, let's see what they have for a month, at least. I do expect some bumps along the way. But that is the stuff of excitement.

(The way I read the 3-year extension for McHale, is that Mr. Alexander is "sensing" the same excitement that fans do and is saying, "I'm not sure if you can lay your finger on any one thing, but let's bottle this!"

1 person likes this.
  6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

not going to happen, wish people would stop saying it will

7. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Dragic could be final piece, the one that puts us over the top. If Harden gets hurt, or slumps, here's the insurance. I say think about winning a championship this year, then worry about who you can keep later on. Getting Smith was an unexpected bonus for us anyway. Just count your blessings and use your assets to maximize the team for this year. Open the window as much as possible while you have the chance. Let's not kid ourselves, we're surely going to have to give up the NO pick for Dragic, but it's worth it. Probably worth losing D-Mo too, if that's what it takes. Other teams will be bidding for Dragic, too.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good if it happens because it aint my money.

1) Dragic chose Phoenix over Houston. He isn't an exclusive Houstonian.
    I know you people love good Euros but not every Euro loves Houston as much.
    Meaning he probably won't be in Houston for long when things don't go his way.

2) People automatically assume a rising European player like Dragic will agree to be traded here or sign here to share "touches", "money with other stars".

Asik never wanted to share the starting spot with Dwight.

3) People assume that because Houston wants Dragic, Dragic is automatically the best fitting PG.

I will never understand this board's love for Euros.

Bledsoe is good as well and someone said he is not a good fit with Harden.

And now Dragic is the good citizen who will sacrifice for Harden?

WTH?! what logic is this

Don't be narrow minded. Accept a pool of good PGs just not one exclusive.

9. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

All the Rox need is just a 3D PF and a solid sixth-man(but I guess we already have a very good bench: Terry, Papa, Motiejuwon and Brewer).

10. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

11. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

12. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Yes but every good thing costs $ and assets, and Dragic will end up costing a lot of it. Harden plays 35-36 mpg and has an absurd usage rate, all we need is a good burn from DMo/Smith (another guy with huge usage rate) and co. for 12 mpg and we have the depth to make it happen. Shved can run an offense and isn't as crappy as he has looked, and having Bev ballhawking the elite PGs of the West is HUGE. Oh and he's shooting 42% from 3pt this year, he is one of the most underrated players in the league for his salary.

Dragic is a great player and would do fine here but like Bev he is a shooting guard playing at PG most of the time and does the same stuff Harden does but worse. He is also a worse 3pt shooter and way worse defender than Bev. I would be stunned if Morey gave up anything massive to try to land Dragic.

13. Red Chocolate

14. Red Chocolate

The only way this would really work is by perma-benching Terry and moving Canaan. With 96 minutes to distribute to Bev/Dragic/Harden/Brewer so you're looking at like Bev- 28 Dragic- 30 Harden 35 Brewer 3 (at SG). Dragic subs early for Bev as 6th man etc. There's also a problem of what to do with CBrewer as he usually gets about 20-25 MPG and you'd have to lower Ariza's minutes as well. The upside is it increases players' efficiency per minute and keeps them fresh.

Unless we get a really good deal and don't have to move Bev, I pass.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not sure Dragic is a better fit next to Harden than Bev. Only PHX guard that should start (due to better fit) over Bev is Bledsoe. Just my 2 cents. Otherwise I would roll with what we have, at least until Feb.

Bringing in a player of Dragic/Bledsoe caliber would also gut our newfound bench talent, which we will need for deep post season run.

16. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Bledsoe is not a good shoot off the catch thou.

17. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

shooter ^^^

18. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

I hope they decide to pay Dragic max and trade us Thomas. A younger secondary playmaker to be sixth-man of the year, at half the cost of a re-signed Dragic so that we can keep PBev and JSmith long term.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I also want LeBron James. Where is the poll?

20. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Dragic is probably available. The chance of LeBron being available is 0.