1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We sure did dodge a bullet with LBJ....(LeBron hype Summer 2018)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch City1993, Mar 17, 2019.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

How has MDA won everywhere he has gone if he has bad years with the Lakers and Knicks? That's like 2/3 of his previous stops before Houston wtf. Prior to Houston MDA's rep has been built solely on Steve Nash, well now he has James Harden no wonder he looks great again. You think Lebron will respect a coach who only looks good when he is leaning on a transcendental offensive talent and looks trash when he doesn't?

Mike Brown also had lots of success with Lebron in fact they reached the Finals with him that didnt prevent Lebron from not buying into Mike Brown. What about Spoelstra? Dude got 2 rings with Spoelstra but that didnt prevent Lebron from leaving the Heat to create a team his way with a coach he likes. In terms of coaching success Spoelstra has had more success than MDA he has 2 rings and reached ECF and Finals 4 times but Lebron still didnt like him.

So no, you can claim it's all conjecture till you are blue in the face but we all know Lebron would have wanted MDA out. It may even be one of his conditions to sign with Houston we all know there were rumors of him going to Houston before it stopped, likely he sent feelers out saying he wants a new coach new team new GM and Rox said no bueno.

Lebron wants the maximum control possible he has tried to replace the coach whenever its not one of his own guys just stop pretending he would be happy with a coach hired before he came to the team. There is no precedent with Lebron being happy with a coach given to him and lots of precedent with him being unhappy with coaches not hired with his blessing.

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You are arguing for the sake of arguing it seems. And yeah check the records MDA has had winning seasons with every team he had coached. But hey if you want to lean on assumptions and conjecture as the basis for your arguments then please continue by all means.

3. bmelo

bmelo Member

so if someone is not blinded by homerism then he is lin fan or whatever? lol im sure any mods can give you insights to geolocalizations of different users :rolleyes: I just like basketball and rockets are my favourite team back from forming Yao-Tmac duo. Im not 13 year old stan or r****ded middle aged man. I call it like it is and at this point forcing 30+ attemps while shooting 30% is not helping team win and you have to be ****in ****** who never played sports to think otherwise. James need to sit and i dont care about his personal stats, we needed him while our squad was down and he showed up legendary - kudos to him. But we dont need it now cause theres others to pick up some weight. We will need him rested 100% in playoffs and right now he makes sure he is all banged up and tired for most important games of elimination phase in the name of his mvp which i actually dont care if he gets cause its bullshit award anyway

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

First of all you yourself admitted MDA has not had winning seasons in LA and Knicks so your bolded statement is objectively false.

Secondly what records does Tyron Lue have compared to Mike Brown, Luke Walton, Spoelstra or even David Blatt who was a champion head coach in Europe? Dude has nothing on his resume but suddenly became the highest paid assistant in NBA history when Lebron came back to Cleveland. This is the guy Lebron respected and propped up in Cleveland over other coaches with actual HC experience. Whats important to Lebron is mot the coaching acumen, it's whether a dude is his guy or not.

So please don't talk to me about how Lebron will respect MDA based on his winning record, I already said Spoelstra has done more "winning" than MDA but he didnt get Lebron's approval either.

Why will Lebron "respect" Tyron Lue but not respect Luke Walton? Luke Walton is a much better coach than Ty Lue, has had more exp than Lue and was also a better player than Lue. The only thing Lue has over Walton is he signed with Klutch Sports, and this is the reason why Lebron wont respect MDA either. You have to be a legendary superstar like Popovich or get signed to Klutch Sports to get Lebron's respect as a coach.

s3ts likes this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Please read what I wrote and do some research yourself. And also look up the word conjecture. Also I never said anything was definite. Instead I challenged your assumptions because thats all your argument is based on. Assumptions.

6. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If one of your favorite players joined one of your favorite teams, you’d stop watching them?

I don’t get basketball fans anymore.

7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

No we didn't dodge a bullet. If LeBron was truly in the "must-win" mindset (required for him to have signed here) then he'd have left the roster mostly untouched.

But he wasn't in that mindset. He's in the Space Jam, Pretend 2 Be Politician mindset.

*edit*

and 5 months ago I would have argued you that he's the greatest player of all time. I still believe he is when you're talking pure basketball ability, but I won't argue you that he's the NBA GOAT anymore, atleast as of right now. You don't quit chasing rings when you're still in your prime. "I have nothing else to prove" is a sh*t mindset, especially when you're chasing GOAT status. /rant

roslolian likes this.
  8. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Doesn't mean that it would produce the kind of basketball I'd enjoy watching.

9. s3ts

s3ts Member

We dodged a bullet because he prioritized other things important to his career than winning chips.

If he wanted to win chips, he could've gone to a lot of different teams and have a way better chance at it than LAL.

He said it himself, he thinks he's the GOAT, and it doesn't matter to him what other people think.

That's a foolish attitude to have, unless you're truly the GOAT. There's no consensus on this yet, and his legacy is taking a toll.

chadyang likes this.
  10. macan

macan Member

LBJ is not about winning anymore..all he wants it's hollywood fame and media attention.
    The snake was right about that toxic environment lbj brings.

slothy420 and s3ts like this.
  11. hakeemthagreat

We definitely dodged a bullet by missing out on Lebron. He's a cancer when he can't control narratives. His leadership & overall game is a tad bit overrated. Yes his stats are fantastic, but I noticed (especially when playing the Rockets) that a lot of those stats come early in the game when the game when the flow is loose. When the 4th quarter comes he kinda starts deferring to scrubs. All in all, my criticism of him all these years was correct. He's benefited from playing in a conference where he can essentially float thru the regular season. The Western conference exposes those who half azz thru games

s3ts likes this.
  12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This team would be championship favorites with Lebron.

Get off the gas.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We would win it all, but Lebron knows Harden is a better player, Morey is a smarter GM and MDA is a better coach so his ego won't allow him to get comfortable here.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Control.

LeBron had to make some compromises. He compromised winning for control.

At this stage of LeBron's career, control is the most important factor. And that could lead to winning. But it might also hamper it.

Ever since he left Miami....everything has been about control.

slothy420, s3ts and BeBreezy like this.
  15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone knew LeBron was going to the Lakers
    This was well known like it's hot in Houston in July

Only the extremely delusional Rockets fans here believed he was going here and somehow we had enough money for him, CP3, and Harden

We can't dodge anything if nothing is thrown at us

macan likes this.
  16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This post reminds me of Janet.

Ms Jackson if you're nasty !!

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He never even considered us. I think we would have been absolutely insane with him, but whatever. I'm enjoying seeing the Lakers implode and his legacy taking a hit. He did this to himself.

ramotadab, Houstunna and s3ts like this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

He can still have a good team and title contender, it depends on what happens next year in the free agent market.

However the worst thing happened with his agent leaking out the AD trade and trying to force a trade.

He thought he could control that, then he couldn't.

This isn't throwing your teammates under the bus,

this is putting your teammates on the bus out of town

ramotadab, roslolian and BaselineFade like this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Right. And we'll see on the FA market. But also, the writing is on the wall in this aspect. "You join LeBron.....and if there is success LeBron will get the accolades....but if there is turbulence...if there is failure.....the FA star player will get the blame."

I think that aspect could be a big hurdle for them.

tinman likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

Yup, you will be second fiddle to LeBron and LeBron is the narrative. Probably why Kyrie left.
    Also, he left Miami cause Pat Riley won't give up power.

LeBron wants to be star player, gm, and coach