1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We still COULD end up "best in the West" (along with NO)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sherlock, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I've almost posted this a few times over the last week, and curiously watching it play out in our favor. It almost seemed ridiculous to think it, since it seemed doubtful that we'd beat Phoenix.

... but it's happening ... :D

We COULD end up with the best record in the Western Conference, along with New Orleans. They would have the 1st seed, since they would win the tie-breaker, with a better division record, even though we tied the series 2-2.

Here's how it COULD happen now:

IF ... LA beats NO tonight.

IF ... HOU beats DEN, SA beats LA

IF ... HOU beats UTA,

IF ... DAL beats NO, UTA beats SA

We'd be tied with NO with the best record in the West.

It COULD still happen ... ;)

Of course, if somehow Sacramento or the Clippers snuck up on New Orleans, we could actually win it all ... but I find that highly unlikely ... although Sacramento did upset us ...

... fun to fantasize about, though ... :)

2. fadeawayjae

fadeawayjae Member

i rather not be tied with them and play the nuggets in the first round

3. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

thats a lot of if's. i think we're gonna lose to Utah and stay in the 5th spot.

4. RedGlare07

RedGlare07 Member

If we win out, I like our chances to finish no worse than second.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So we would end up playing the Mavs in the first round, as a number 2 seed.

Is that any better than playing the Jazz in the first round, with the Jazz being a far worse road team (thus making home court advantage that much more of an advantage)?

6. RedGlare07

RedGlare07 Member

Not really, in terms of the first round, but it sets the Rockets up for home court in the second round, which is even more valuable.

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Go for the #1 spot!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mFFeU-I7Okg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mFFeU-I7Okg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Are you kidding? I drool uncontrollably at the mere thought of playing that bunch of undisciplined losers. And getting to watch George Karl have his regularly scheduled meltdown after the series would be icing on the cake.

So far this year, we've got 28- and 14-point wins against them at home, and a 1-point road loss when we were without T-Mac and before the emergence of Landry. We own those chumps.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Yeah right now the Suns look likely to have the 6 seed. The Mavs are locked in 7. If the Rockets really were to sneak into the top four then San Antonio would move to 5 and play the Jazz. Here's the teams I'd rather face from most to least:

1. Denver (as the 1 seed)
    2. Dallas (as the 2 seed)
    3. Utah (as the 5 seed)
    4. Phoenix (as the 3 seed)

It doesn't look like we have much of a chance to face any of the other teams.

The media pundits would say Utah is easier than Dallas right now but I personally fear the Jazz. They have the best point differential in the league, meaning Hollinger has picked them as the Finals representative out of the West, plus they cheat in their building. We saw what happened last year, all they need is to take one from our home court and it's over. Because they cheat in Utah. Did I mention they cheat?

10. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

the only advantage(s) of playing the Mavs is their old age and the short travel.

11. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

first off playing dallas is just as bad as playing utah, probably worse. our bigs match up horribly with the mavs. dampier doesnt even have to jump and grabs boards over hayes, landry and scola. dont think dallas will lose in the first round for the second year.

12. pangzi

pangzi Member

If both the lakers and w eein out and NO lose to the mavs in their last game, we own the three-way tiebreaker among the three teams. That's the only possible way we finish first.

13. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

yeah but with dampier in there, deke can play him. if the rockets play utah, there is no way deke can cover memo or boozer.

14. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

You gotta be smoking crack son, nuggets sucks ass, cant play a Lick of D

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

hey im coming to egypt this summer can i camp out on your floor???

:confused: :D

16. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

yeah deke probably won't play significant minutes - hayes + scola or landry will usually be in the game

17. sook

sook Rookie

TBH...i couldn't take another houston vs dallas series....the calls were just so bad and my fav player at the time, Bob Sura had his career end on that highlight. It was just so emotional and I'll never really forgive the league for the unfairness of that round even though dallas got cheated vs miami (gigglez) :D

18. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Yep, Cuban ownes the refs (see Websters - "FINLEY WAS OUT OF BOUNDS!") I want a fair fight - anyone but the Mavs

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Guys, I think he's saying he'd prefer the Rockets to be the #1 seed so they can face the Nuggs.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good work, Sherlock. Now pass the seven percent solution! ;)