1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We shouldn't forget Redd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by drpepper, Aug 15, 2002.

1. drpepper

drpepper Member

My few points.....

1. Milwaukee is already over the tax threshold so us signing Redd to lets say a 3 mill/yr for three years (9 mill) would cost the Bucks DOUBLE to match. Something they'd be very unlikely to do. He may be restricted, but on a team that is so much over the luxury tax, any significant offer made would be hard to match. So why not try.

2. He is the perfect shooting guard for a backup to Cat. He has good size at 6'6", is an outstanding 3 pt shooter, plays good defense, and doesn't have an ego problem like Bonzi and others so won't complain about PT. He's not a headcase and doesn't have any problems off the court.

3. He has playoff experience and comes from a good team that is coached well. He won't have that much of an adjustment period. He doesn't try to do too much on the court and seems to make good decisions.

4. It's almost a given that there will be injuries on our squad, and instead of putting in 2nd rate players like T. Brown, T. Morris, O. Torres etc. we can spend a little coin and add some real quality players that won't give us a real talent drop. Especially for injuries that last an extended amount of time(several weeks to months) that can be the difference between making the playoffs or being out again. If you want to be a serious contender in the West, you need to go out and spend some change. It's impossible to really contend with the guys mentioned above as your subs when facing the Kings, Mavs, Lakers, and Spurs.

5. They also drafted another shooting guard (Ronald Murray 6-4) in this years draft as insurance incase this would happen. They were somewhat expecting Redd's departure. They know he's a quality player and most likely would leave if the right offer came along. I believe he made like $600,000 last year.

6. Francis and Thomas will both have early bird rights so that isn't really an issue. I also believe Kenny will be traded by the deadline so it wouldn't matter anyway.

how about trading a resigned Kenny to a resigned Redd. They lost some frontcourt depth with their recent Robinson for Kukoc trade so they might be willing to work something out versus losing Redd for nothing.

#21 drpepper, Aug 17, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2002
  2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Agreed Dr. Pepper.

Redd was one FA who I thought would be a hot commodity in his cameo role as starter when Allen went down.

If he's willing to be a backup, then I'd love for him to be a Rocket.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fine, I'll go through point by point...

1.) Hoopshype says Milwaukee is 2 mill UNDER the luxury tax threshold, meaning in your scenario, it'd cost them a mill extra, which would probably be worth it. Besides the fact the luxury tax may or may not even come into play (likely not, from what I've read) and even if it does, the owners get escrow money back.

2.) ok, I agree he's a great scorer, but ideal backup? This comes down to opinion. I'd rather have a lockdown defender backing up Cat.

3.) Uh, he has no playoff experience. The Bucks didn't make it this year, and last year he didn't get into any games. If you want a backup with playoff experience, go for Bryon Russell.

4.) Injuries, sure. But Moochie is a quality 3rd guard, who could give 35 minutes on occasion if we're faced with injuries. Mobley especially has been VERY durable over his career. Torres played decently when he got the minutes. Bad injuries can hurt your playoff chances no matter who your backups are-take a look at Redd's team, the Bucks, who missed the playoffs partly due to Ray Allen's injury.

5.) Ronald Murray is a combo guard. Many think he'll be a big PG. Besides the fact, based on that logic, the Rockets are expecting Francis to leave because we drafted Tito Maddox. Maddox was picked ahead of Murray.

6.) Francis and KT will have Larry Bird rights, not Early Bird rights. The difference it'll make is the quandry you claim Milwaukee is in-luxury tax, which Les has said he doesn't want to pay. Paying 3-4 million for your fourth guard is generally not considered prudent. KT may or may not be traded, don't plan on something not set in stone. I think both have proven themselves more valuable than a 4th guard.

As for your trade, it won't work unless Michael Redd is planning on signing for about 1.5 mill. KT is under contract this season. Even if he signs a 90 mill extension (for example), he'll still make his ~1.5 mill this year.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Nike,

Agree with most of your logic with the folowing exceptions:

1) The ideal backup 2's characteristics

2) KT has proven himself more valuable than 4th guard in absense of Mo T, but after fifth game this season, Mo or KT (who ever is the 3rd PF) will be less valuable than a 4th guard, unless Nachbar falters.

3) Redd would be the third guard and Moochie the fourth.

As mentioned earlier, I think it comes down to the Rockets wanting to pay MCE for him and him willing to accept. I haven't heard much about KT getting an extention so I doubt Rocks would offer him a full MCE.

5. tozai

tozai Member

I just wanted to say Michael Redd is not 6'6. He's probably Mobley's size or smaller. I'd rather have a defensive SG than someone like Redd.

6. drpepper

drpepper Member

Nike,

1. if the cap is at 40 mill, then the luxury tax will probably be at 50-51 mill.

realgm has them at 55 mill
    hoopshype has them at 53 mill

I don't see where hoopshype states they are UNDER the tax

2. Yes Redd is a good scorer and plays decent D. I would rather have a player that can contribute at both ends of the floor versus a defensive player because Kobe, TMac, Vince, and most everyone else is gonna get there's. At least Redd can come back and make them play some D. With teams like the Mavs, Kings and Lakers that are so offense oriented, you need to come back with some of your own. It's up to Rudy to get those guys to play some D.

3. You're right about the playoff thing, I overlooked that.

4. Moochie is not a "quality" guard. His fg% is horrible, and his 3% is even worse. You were, if my memory serves me right, very vocal about his mindless playmaking and his lengthy dribbling last season. And how many games did we win when he was starting. To make this short, he sucks. As a reserve that makes over 3 mill a season, he really sucks. Bad. I would trade him before anyone first. And Torres wasn't impressive last year. Redd would be a major upgrade over him.

I believe the reason Mobley played so much last year was due to the fact that the reserve guards played so poorly. Get some quality reserves and I bet Rudy won't mind resting Mobley some more.

5. Your supposed comparison was ridiculous and exagurrated. Redd was a second round pick and had a good year last year, but he is still a reserve.
    "Maddox was picked ahead of Murray".............whatever.

6. We have the MCE and there's a very good chance we'll use it. Kenny is good and all , but it's already been established that he'll most likely be traded. And remember, Mooch makes over 3 mill as a sorry ass backup. So why shouldn't we offer Redd that much. It'd be money better spent.

How about trading Mooch for Redd. They're in the market for a backup PG and we have three. That is a S&T that would actually work for both teams.

As far as him being intrested, we have to inquire about him first.

And a bench with Cato, Eddie, Rice, Redd, and Maddox ain't bad. I can actually see them keeping us in games.

7. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

What about Torres? He is a decent back-up 2

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

NBAcom lists Redd as 6'6" 220 (Torres is smaller, is listed as 6'6" 210), but then again I thought Rice was 6'7" and they list him as 6'8" 220. I was thinking Redd might not be a bad option for some SF minutes--maybe even the starter (I don't expect Nachbar to be ready to start and who knows about Rice's health). But if he isn't really a legit 6'6" 220 and KT or EG are better suited for SF minutes then he is then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Redd to want to play for us. A good back-up 2 would be a nice thing to have, but we need a guy ready to play many quality SF minutes far more at this point.

Oh, I am still hopeful about Torres but no where near as hopefull as I was midseason last year. He just hasn't seemed to get any better. The odds Tmo, OT or TM stay with the Rockets another 2 years are not good, I just hope one of them surprise and becomes a really good back-up for the Rockets.

#28 Desert Scar, Aug 19, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2002