1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We seriously need to sign Lance Stephenson!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W22_STREAK, Jul 11, 2014.

1. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One is an emotional head case. The other a reputed locker room and on-court glue guy.

I am not surprised the world isn't knocking at Stephenson's door. Dude is the free-agent boom/bust guy this offseason. Stephenson has all-world talent, but he is a risk: if he was nutty during his contract year, how much nuttier might he become with all that guaranteed loot? He is a gamble. I just wonder who is willing to take it and at what price, Indy aside?

2. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

I wonder if Morey values him more than Artest

3. seeingred

seeingred Member

i'm drinking the lance stephenson kool-aid.

1) You could put him at PG (Harden would still initiate the offense) and let him and Ariza guard the best wing players on the opposing team.

2) (just my opinion) at 10 mil/year he would actually be a tradeable asset for a superstar, unlike parsons at 15.

3) He could spell Harden so james isn't completely run down by the time the playoffs come around.

4) Beverly, Stephenson, Ariza, and Howard form an elite defensive core

5) with the loss of Asik, perimeter defense is more important than ever when Howard has to sit.

4. JD88

JD88 Member

If he comes in and plays one year with a level head, just one season, he instantly turns into a huge asset. That much is a fact. Its known he didnt like the offense the Pacers ran, but in a run and gun, uptempo, show out offense we run, he will thrive.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sounds like Stephen Jackson

Rocket River

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Now adjust Lance's production based on Houston's pace. Adding him to the team is a no brainer, the only question is what is his price.

1 person likes this.
  7. JD88

JD88 Member

Thats even with the Pacers having 5 double digit scorers and Parsons playing two extra minutes.

Too late. Wed rather sign Joey Dorsey and some guy whose name I can't pronounce.

8. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Yes please to Stephenson.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

When Morey acquired Artest, Ron had only 1 year left on his contract. So, any exposure to Ron acting out was minimized. With Lance, you'd have to give him a long-term deal. Different situations, really, in a number of ways.

But I'd imagine if 2008 Ron on the 2008 Ron contract was available this summer, Morey would make the same trade for him.

10. vator

vator Contributing Member

This dude is still available because he is certifiably crazy. Huge risk here. Fights his teammates, pushes his girlfriend down a flight of stairs and then slams her head on the bottom step to finish her off. His antics in the playoffs after Larry Bird told him to behave really sealed his fate. He won't make what he probably deserves based on his talent because he is viewed as a huge risk around the NBA. You could be just throwing away your money like Milwaukee with Larry Sanders this past year.

11. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

depends on our cap situation
    if we'll have cap space to offer a max contract next summer then pass on him.
    if we won't have max cap next summer to chase a big name then why not sign him up and package him in a trade to get that 3rd star

i think his production/potential worth $9~$12mil. per year but his mental/character risk will probably set him at $8~10mil.
    i think we don't have cap room for that, the only way to sign him would be work out a sign-n'-trade with Pacers that send the Lin TPE with some draft consideration to Indy. it could be $37mil./4yr starting around $8.4Mil. first year. Stephenson can back up 1~3 for around 35min./game. if McHale can keep him under control for 3~6 months we have a good chance package him in a Harden-like trade to land our 3rd star (i think Millsap/Conley are more realistic options than Love/Rondo)

i also hope Morey can trade DMo + expiring contracts (Hopson/Gee) for Brandon Bass (expiring) and maybe a 2nd rd. pick, so we can still compete this season.

12. Pete the Cheat

Would be interesting to offer a 2yr deal w the second being a player option. But I doubt he would be happy w the 6th man role on those terms...

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lets say we do small ball for at least 5 minutes a game, and we play Stephenson, Hardwn ot Daniels at as our backup PG's. Which we can do since Stephenson and Harden are very capable ball handlers.

Beverley(30), Daniels(18)
    Harden(30), Stephenson (18)
    Stephenson(18) Ariza(30)
    Jones(28)Motiejunas(14) Harden(6)

A rotation like that is very doable. Both Harden and Strphenson would start and get 36 minutes. Beverley and Ariz get 30 a night. 18 minutes carved out for one of Daniels, Johnson or Beverley to take.

14. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

I don't believe he is as much as a head case as prescribed. Sure he had his antics. A different generation, a different "Kardashian" experience.

I believe with the whatever was going on behind the scenes that melted down the Pacers isn't completely on his shoulders. A max two year player option contract like what is propagating in the league this summer might be an easy test run option to bring him into the fold.

15. JD88

JD88 Member

@Chris_Broussard: 3 yrs $27 million Lance to Charlotte, "@rick_bonnell: The Charlotte Hornets will sign Lance Stephenson, the Observer has learned

What a steal... Too bad we couldn't come up with 9m

16. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

that is a steal specially the team option too. i thought he would get about 12 per atleast, the way parson got overpaid.

17. Fantasma Negro

No big deal, there's no way he was coming here as long as Harden is here. Besides James had his best game if the season against Stephenson on espn, still have it on my dvr. It was a masterpiece

18. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Well, if we didn't get Bosh'ed I believe that we could've worked a 3 way Lin deal for Lance...but sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles.

19. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

As much as I like the player production, Frank Vogel and Larry Bird couldn't control Lance's attitude. Unless Morey brought in a new head coach that could discipline him, it was the right move to pass.

20. vator

vator Contributing Member

We certainly don't have enough structure here for that guy at the moment.