1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We never learn - Corporate and special interest fund denial propanda

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bongman, Apr 22, 2014.

1. bongman

bongman Member

The latest episode of "Cosmos" explained how Patterson was able to determine the age of the earth by measuring the amount of lead in one of the meteors. In his life long study of lead, he also discovered that lead based consumer items were also the cause of many of our health issues. Just like climate change, who would have been affected the most if lead based gasoline was banned, the oil industry. They fought him tooth and nail with denial propaganda and even had somebody in the government (in their pocket) protecting their interest.

Currently, we have more of the same. You have young earth creationists and oil industry spending a lot of their resources to deny these scientific claims and it doesn't take a genius to understand why.

It's an hour long episode if you care to watch it and this is one of the articles written about it The Latest "Cosmos" Explains How Corporations Fund Science Denial

When will we learn that corporations or special interest groups stating a narrative that opposes the claim of majority of scientists, has to always be questioned? Especially when there is no major market that will benefit from this claim.

2. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Cosmos is definitely getting better. I really liked the latest episode.

I wish they would show actual satellite image instead of just CGI, though.

3. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Not a fan of the cartoons/CGI in this version, however, the substance matters more.

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i stopped watching after the third episode. should i jump back on the bandwagon?

i got bored of the cartoon story telling. are they done with that? some of the earlier episodes were purely cartoons

5. Baba Booey

They still use a lot of cartoons, but that doesn't really bother me. I would just rather see a real image (compilation of images) of a moving Jupiter or Uranus than a CGI one. I think you might want to give it another shot, though. The last 3 episodes have been the best. It's not as good as the original, but I am definitely interested to see more of it. I also find it amazing that Fox put this show on one of their channels...

6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I haven't watched a single episode of Cosmos, but I heard that they spouted the theory that Rome collapsed because of lead poisoning. If that's true, then I'm going to take what they say with a massive grain salt, because that theory is simplistic at best and outlandish at worst.

7. bongman

bongman Member

I may be wrong but the reference to Romans was about the origin of the word plumber or plumbing. They used lead pipes which they called plumbus. I don't recall a statement about a collapse.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

9. bongman

bongman Member

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

ditto

the whole traveling in a time/travel spaceship thing is overdone and not needed.

I'm 2 episodes behind, guess I need to catch up.

11. Baba Booey

The way I remember it, it was one line at the end of the story about lead and how widespread the use of lead was in ancient Rome.

It went something like: "some scholars believe that widespread lead poisoning could have contributed to the fall of the Roman Empire."

I didn't view it as a definitive statement at all.