1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need the Hawk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Jan 14, 2003.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Watching yesterdays game, I realized how much we need Hawkins in the game. The guy is a total chemistry guy. He is great on D, and totally plays within the offense. I seldomly see him make a bad decision. I know Posey plays the same role as Hawk but he doesn't seem to have Hawks X factor. I can't place my finger on it. Hawk reminds me of Chucky Brown in way because he just seems to be in the right place on the floor all the time. He doesn't create his own shot but he just seems to do what we need him to do.

I think it is more than coincidence that we starting losing when Hawk was taken out of the rotation earlier in the season. I sure hope he gets his 10 minutes a game. I hate to say this because I don't wish injury on anyone, but I hope Rice doesn't come back this season.

#1 rockbox, Jan 14, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2003
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we still can use rice this season. even though he only came to play once every 4 games. in those games he was still a scoring option.

when he got a chance to spot up he made the defence stretch out to the 3-point line. that openned up the lanes for cat and steve, and also cleared room on the block for yao.

with out him we have noone on the team that can play that role.

3. walterw

walterw Member

Cut Moochie's play time and give that to the Hawkins.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

At times, Hawk actually seems to look like our best playmaker on the court :eek:

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Move Steve to shooting guard have have Hawkins run the point...

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i dont think his ball handling skills are at that point yet. the one time hehe pushed the ball on a fast break he lost control of it and bounced it over his head.

7. haven

haven Member

Hawkins is a useful addition to the squad, but his lack of a shooting touch prevents him from being anything more. He plays decent D (though not as good as some think), handles the ball fairly well, but misses too many open jumpers. And with the great 1-on-1 players on the team, some of his looks that he misses are wide, wide open.

Maybe it's just me, but shooting seems to have improved in the league the last 2-3 years. Players seem to be getting more automatic and hitting wide open shots. Hawkins doesn't seem automatic. We shouldn't have to hold our breath everytime he takes a 15 footer with nobody in sight. People are fond of saying that because we have so many other offensive options, we don't need another one.

That's misleading. We certainly don't need a scorer on the court with Francis, Mobley, Yao, and Eddie. We do, however, need someone who can knock down the open J routinely.

8. rockbox

Now that's taking it a little far. All I want is for him to have his 10-15 minutes. Now if that takes away from Moochie's minutes, I don't really care. I just see alot of good things happen when he is on the floor. I think Hawk should be Cat's primary backup. I see the rotation like this.

Ming, Cato
    EG, MoT, Tmo(spot duty)
    Posey, Tmo, Boki
    Mobley, Hawk
    Francis, Moochie

Under no circumstance do I want to see Moochie and Hawk on the floor at the same time. Hawk shouldn't have to play the 3 anymore because we have defense at the 3 with Posey.

9. Nova

Nova Member

Agreed, I really like that rotation, but I think Hawk can also spot at the 3 occasionally. I really wish Hawk could shoot better, but that's really his only drawback.

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We need both Posey and Hawkins. Posey is now the starting SF backed up by T-Mo and Nachbar. The Hawk should back up Mobley at SG more often to give the Cat's feet more time to heal.

Posey, T-Mo and Hawkins are all essential to the Rockets' success.

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

But Hawkins has a 2.09 assist/TO ratio...He is clearly a better point guard than Steve...

12. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hawk moves the ball, and can bring it up the court. He definately has the Chucky Brown factor. I love the guy. I'd play him whenever the Cat cools or gets torched, or when Steve needs help and can switch.

13. walterw

walterw Member

No. TMo is more of Chucky Brown type player. Not too quick, but can play D and knock down 15-18 ft shot.

14. rockbox

We're not saying he has the same game as Chucky Brown, he just seems to know where to be at all times like Chucky which allows him to get a lot of easy buckets.

15. rockbox

I don't know if his handles are good enough to bring it up the court.

16. Toast

Toast Member

11 man rotation (plus TMo with "spot duty")? Where do all the minutes go? We just need an 8 or 9 man rotation, or we'll have 11 people complaining about not enough minutes instead of the 3 or 4 who don't get in the game.

17. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Dump Moochie.
    Give his minutes to Hawk.

18. rockbox

Ming 30, Cato 18
    EG 25, MoT 23, Tmo(spot duty)
    Posey 35, Tmo 10, Boki 3
    Mobley 35, Hawk 13
    Francis 40, Moochie 8

19. madmaxu

madmaxu Member

I like this lineup except, Tmo's 10 should be given to Hawkins
    TMo's can take up the garbage at PF.

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I like that rotation alot. The only thing the Rocks are missing that they could use is a good PF/C to bang and take up the slack of when Mo is out or Griffin is struggling. A guy in the mode of Kevin Willis. If Marc Jackson wasn't making a ton of money he would be the perfect fit. I'm surprised Minnesota is just not using him in that role.