1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We Need Rafer Alston to be Successful

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by randomdude, Apr 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

In addition to solid shooting from Rafer, I thought both Scola and Landry stepped up tonight..they were like the two headed monster "Scolandry" of old... they played like they played during the 22 game winning streak.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

That's hard to disagree with but i think he really freed up the offense because he can do the one thing no one else on the team (including tmac) can do. He can take the ball all the way to the rack from the PnR. They can't show that hard double that they do with tracy because he's on the other side of the court.

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking Rafer is a great player, not even a good one, but unfortunately he is one of OUR best players and we need him.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

rafer is not gonna shoot well every game (so we need scola to do better than 4-13 and others to step up).

the important thing is rafer allowed tmac to play off the ball more. people don't know how much ballhandling can drain the energy of a player if you have to do it 4 quarters. that's what tmac did in games 1/2

4. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

He had a sweet finger roll and a sweet floater. If he could hit that with consistency he'd be a legit starting PG. He's good enough from the 3, you can't expect much more. He tries hard on defense and he's good at directing an offense. If he could *just* make those floaters and layups more he'd be even more valuable...

Everyone is valuable. It's a team game. McGrady stepped up down the stretch and helped push up the lead and close the game (but it wasn't just him, that's the beauty) and then as a team we gave it up, and as a team we fought for it back.

Landry saves the day. I don't get it. That play could have gone wrong so many ways yet Landry gets in there and messes the Jazz UP.

5. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Best part of Rafer's comeback

Luther head - 0 minutes

6. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

Rafer will be our starting PG next season. Who can we get that would be an upgrade? He is a notch below the Star PGs. We are not going to get a STAR PG,lol And he shot very well for us this season and has improved his all around game

7. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

ha! there are folks that think SF3 is going to come out of his 3 year + slump and go back to his youthful high flying ball massaging ways.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

insert easy Mobley/Francis joke here

9. jlwee

jlwee Member

LOL! Some of you guys are as sensitive as teenage girls! Where did my quote stated I hate refer?? :confused:
    All i pointed out was the rockets are thin at PG position! If you called that hate, i m speechless!

10. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

rafer and carl landry were the heroes tonight.

11. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

Yea, but I still felt luther played to much tonight

12. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Man, did ANYONE actually expect this? That we'd be THANKFUL for Rafer Alston? That we'd think this highly of him?

I've made (almost) a complete 180 on him over this season.

13. sabesque

sabesque Member

Can we just take a moment to appreciate what Rafer has brought to the team this year?

I think this year he took a big step up in terms of leadership. I think the players looked to him for leadership on attitude and drive this year. Maybe its because Morey was actively trying to replace him in the off season... he essentially did, bringing in 3 new point guards... and rafer came in, won his spot back and never looked back.

I think rafer has brought a lot of emotional and attitude leadership this year. To me, his attitude typifies the streak.

14. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

There are only 3 star point guards in the NBA if you ask me:

Paul, Nash, Williams, 4 if you wanna count Tony Parker.

Rafer isn't like them, but he isn't very far off.

15. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

LOL :D :D

16. SilentAssassin

17. nerdyyatrice

nerdyyatrice Member

It's the same for Scola, we need him just b/c Landry has not developed to his full potential yet. I bet Landry won't miss sooooo many p***y layups... oh, he just dunk.

18. nerdyyatrice

nerdyyatrice Member

Jason Kidd?

19. kwng

kwng Member

We definitely Rafer and the Rafer that makes his shots. If rafer makes his shots,
    we got a chance. I hope Rafer will continue to practise and work harder on his shots throughout the playoffs.

20. nerdyyatrice

nerdyyatrice Member

Hope SF3 would come back 80% and AB can develop some brain next year then we are fine.