1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need gun control

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaDakota, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And if you were honest with yourself you'd start by admitting that NY has one of the lowest rates of gun deaths in the country, only beaten by NJ and CT, and that red states such as Alaska and Montana, which don't have many inner city blacks by the way, are at the top of the list of gun homicide rates.

While there is no doubt that inner cities are a problem, it doesn't solve problems when you make overly gross and inaccurate generalizations like this.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Got it. Stop & Frisk is intruding into people's lives as an attempt to protect themselves and their properties. It's not about protecting the inner-city young males. A simple question would be if gun control somehow magically yields zero inner-city young males killing each other, would gun worshippers support gun controls? The answer is no.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think you can really say that

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea, I can't say 100% sure, but I'm at 99.5%.

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

must be nice to have that kind of confidence

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You went to rate card to compare Alaska and New York. Thanks for proving my point about why conservatives don't pay any attention to liberals on gun control. How many total murders happened in Alaska yhe last year can find a total? Ho many happened in Chicago?

I mean really don't waste my precious gift of the very little time i have been given comparing any ****in thing that happens in Alaska to the rest of the country

Astrodome likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Sorry that facts & data are your enemy. Good luck.

You always want to play the race card and blame blacks for violence but you can't explain why the murder rate is higher in red states over blue states other than, "why are you looking at data??? that's not fair!" lol

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The new dexter series is based in Alaska

sometimes at nice restaurant I order baked Alaska
    While these dumb D&D people look for good humor cones from the ice cream truck

pgabriel likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Blacks commit more total murders than whites. What is the black murder rate compared to the white murder rate?

TIA

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Sweet Lou 4 2

First please don't waste time again in a gun control thread talking about Alaska and Montana. Nobody is scared to walk around anywhere in those states unless it's fear of wild animals

Random violent crime is an inner city issue. It's a black issue. These criminals aren't buying guns legally so guns laws won't make any dent in those crimes. Gun laws only affect law abiding citizens who a lot of whom only buy guns for protection.

Until Democrats address crime as part of their mission, people buying guns for protection aren't gonna show up at the negotiating table.

I don't bring it eto talk about race I bring it up to try to solve the problem

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep. The former President was even suggesting Chicago should introduce stop and frisk.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

can't speak to this and haven't read the full study

What Caused the 2016 Chicago Homicide Spike? An Empirical Examination of the 'ACLU Effect' and the Role of Stop and Frisks in Preventing Gun Violence

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3145287

abstract:

Abstract
    Homicides increased dramatically in Chicago in 2016. In 2015, 480 Chicago residents were killed. The next year, 754 were killed–274 more homicide victims, tragically producing an extraordinary 58% increase in a single year. This article attempts to unravel what happened.

This article provides empirical evidence that the reduction in stop and frisks by the Chicago Police Department beginning around December 2015 was responsible for the homicide spike that started immediately thereafter. The sharp decline in the number of stop and frisks is a strong candidate for the causal factor, particularly since the timing of the homicide spike so perfectly coincides with the spike. Regression analysis of the homicide spike and related shooting crimes identifies the stop and frisk variable as the likely cause. The results are highly statistically significant and robust over a large number of alternative specifications. And a qualitative review for possible “omitted variables” in the regression equations fails to identify any other plausible candidates that fit the data as well as the decline in stop and frisks.

Our regression equations permit quantification of the costs of the decline in stop and frisks. Because of fewer stop and frisks in 2016, it appears that (conservatively calculating) approximately 239 additional victims were killed and 1129 additional shootings occurred in that year alone. And these tremendous costs are not evenly distributed, but rather are concentrated among Chicago’s African-American and Hispanic communities.

The most likely explanation for the fall in stop and frisks that appears to have triggered the homicide spike is a consent decree entered into by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) with the Chicago Police Department (CPD). Accordingly, modifications to that consent decree may be appropriate.

More broadly, these findings shed important light on the on-going national debate about stop and frisk policies. The fact that America’s “Second City” suffered so badly from a decline in stop and frisks suggests that the arguably contrary experience in New York City may be an anomaly. The costs of crime — and particularly gun crimes — are too significant to avoid considering every possible measure for reducing the toll. The evidence gathered here suggests that stop and frisk policies may be truly lifesaving measures that have to be considered as part of any effective law enforcement response to gun violence.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If people are so against Terry frisks, why are they still allowed?

There is just a policy change here, not a legal change so a Terry Frisk can still take place they just don't have programs in these departments right?

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So you play the race card when it suits you but complain when anyone else does?

You still haven't answered how states like New York and even Illinois have less gun homicides than Texas. How can that be?

You can't win on volume, and you can't win on rates. So why don't you just for once re-examine your position and learn something. Is that so hard for you?

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm talking about inner city violence in which gun violence associated with other crimes.

Texas doesn't have ghettos? Texas is more inner city than Illinois. Come on bro stop with the dumb ****. It's a waste of everyone's precious gift of time.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Sweet Lou 4 2

You're comparing individual states. For the whole country I win on rate and total so stop with the liberal dumb ****. If you don't want to be honest here don't ever complain when Republicans aren't honest

17. Buck Turgidson

NYC does not equal the rest of NY State.

Urban Alaska does not equal the rest of the State.

Carry on.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

What prize do you win? The most annoying posters full of ****?

What is your point that you make backed up with no data? Save precious time, you mean our time? because your drivel certainly does waste it and the reason no one really engages you.

The fun thing is that you say gun control doesn't work because a lot of guns are bought illegally. What you fail to mention of course is that before they were bought illegally, someone sold them LEGALLY in a lax way because of how bad gun laws are. Fact is that laws controlling the sale of guns saves lives. That's a fact.

The problem with conservatives is that you conflate gun control with gun bans. There's a big difference.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Idiot you said I couldn't win in the previous post.

I did back it up. Go to the fbi crime data site. Blacks commit more total murders. I don't want to make it racial but Democrats need to be honest about gun violence if they want conservatives to listen.

Stop trying to make it about mass shootings.

Guns don't expire like batteries. The guns on the street need to be taken out of criminals hands.

And again ******* im not a conservative. I don't give a damn if you ban assault rifles. They aren't the problem with the majority of gun violence

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

A far leftist wanting more control. Shocker.

You do realize the context in which the second amendment was written right? Why it was written? I don't think you fully grasp it.