1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We Need CWebb!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Band Geek Mobster, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Band Geek Mobster

...not really.

When I watched the Sac game, I couldn't help but think of the old CWebb debates of 2 years ago. Back then, the Rockets were going to have a lot of space under the cap and Webber was going to be a FA. Huge debates broke out on the bbs about whether we should sign CWebb. Many solid conversations about signing him. Then of course, free agency ended, Webber re-signed with the Kings, and we signed Moochie and Taylor back.

I was on the "CWebb is an overrated loser" side. I also felt Mo was still young and had room for improvement. I still feel right in that line of thought after watching the game last night. Is CWebb even the #2 option on his own team? I see the Kings trusting the ball in Peja's or Bibby's hands before they give it to Webber. I had a lot of fun watching Mo play last night. During that first half in which he shot 1 of 7, I knew he'd come back in the 2nd half and play well. I think Mo Taylor is one of the most reliable scorers on this team. I also think his defense/rebounding is definitely improved, he still leaves room for work though. Shame he didn't make just 2 more FT's last night, but I'm not going to blame the loss on him (we would have lost by double digits if it weren't for him).

I submit to you all that we are definitely a better team for not acquiring CWebb for two reasons...

1) If we had signed him, there would be no Yao. (Very lucky with that)

and

2) Mo Taylor has more heart than this guy and is unafraid to take over in the final minutes of a game.

So what do you guys think?

There are a lot of new posters on here since two years ago, I'm curious about which side you all were on back then, and which side you're on now...

Are we not a better team without Chris Webber?

2. Nova

Nova Member

I've never liked CWebbs game and it just pissed me off watching him play. So I'm happy the Rox didn't sign him. But I have to admit CWebb would fit well on this team.. hell he'd probly fit well on any team. I am happy with MoT though and he's gotten better and better this season, you're right about Taylor being a pretty reliable offensive weapon. Plus MoT doesn't make me as mad with his play. :)

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I don't like Cwebb because he takes to many jump shots, he is not an outstanding rebounder and his defense is suspect. Thank goodness we did not sign him because he is one of the softest big men out there. He is just a rich man's Juwan Howard.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree, although it was appealing to think CWebb would be in a Rox uni...

I'm glad he's not because your right, w/ CWebb, no Yao...

I liked MoT's game last night and it showed EG needs to add some bulk...

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I waffled a lot during that discussion period back in the day...but I am convinced now that we are better off without him than we would have been with him. However, I don't necessarily think that is because Mo is or will be better than CWebb, but because without him we got Yao...and Yao is going to ROCK in a few years.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I agree. But searching through my memory of Rockets vs Kings games over the last 3 years, I cannot block out the numerous moments (not last night) where CWebb would dominate the post AND come up with killer rebounds. For all of Mo's offensive prowess, he will not become the AllStar that CWebb is, imo.

In watching a lot of Kings bball, it is unfair to imperically label CWebb as the 3rd option behind Bibby and Stoya, because it all depends on the game situations...they all are equally important to their team.

Overall, if the Lotto Gods didn't grant the Rocks Yao, I think CWebb shoud've been signed.

7. bobododo

bobododo Member

Webber has always been the kings first option. He's always our highest scorer and in fg attempted.

8. James23

James23 Member

why do you need cwebb if you already have yao as your low post scorer?

cwebb is overrated. he's good at scoring, rebounding and passing but not great at them. the rox needs a pure shooting guard coming off the bench, a defensive minded SF and PF.

9. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

we are better off cause we got Yao. But Webb is still the man. I mean, 23, 10 and 5.5!!!! When healthy and playing well, he is top 7 players in the NBA.

And back then we didnt know we were gonna get yao, so Rocks fans had a reason to be unhappy for us not to even try to get Chris Webb. I mean think about it: Steve, Cat, Webb, Cato, Kt......not a bad lineup. Who knows what that team could've accomplished.....
    But we got Yao, so its all good:cool:

10. fya

fya Member

Cwebb is too soft, he doesn't play a big very well.

11. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

imagine cwebb and yao playing off of each other, kinda like cwebb and vlade hooked up for that allyoop yesterday, except yao is a better shooter than vlade, that would be the ultimate high/low offense,
    cwebb and yao can hit the 15 footer, pass, adn rebound, that is one tough front line, but its not possible, so why even discuss it....

12. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

Signing a bust with 5M/year is more forgivable than spending 10Million/year on a Non-Franchise player.

Mo is not a bust.

CWebb is not a franchise player.

13. Sane

Sane Member

What I'd love to see is MoT working on his game as hard as he reportedly did that summer when he went out for the season.

Meaning, I'd love to see him down 7-10lbs, getting more toned and muscular, and working on his straight up vertical leap a little bit.

If we can't get Brand, I'm beginning to think that the Rockets are better off packaging Griffin, and starting MoT next year. Why? Because we can be contenders next year, but not with Griffin in the line-up. He still needs time to fullfill his potential.

Of course, this is barring Griffin going out and putting on 15 lbs of muscle this summer, and working on his arch. In that case, I hope we find a way to package Mo with Cat.

They make a combined 13M though, so I don't know what we could get for them. We should get big 2-year contracts, because teams are unlikely to give us 1-yr contracts for that.

Wow, this team has a lot of wheeling and dealing to do this summer, I hope they don't mess up.

14. Sane

Sane Member

Considering Webber's Max was 12M+, we would've gladly signed him to 10M.

I'd like to add to that the fact that Mo makes around 8M now, and made 7M in his first season.

15. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

Sane, I agree with you on sending off EG. But cat... I'd rather keep him.

Cat's learning the game about as fast as Steve. He passes more and makes better shot selection. He is very comfortable with Catch&Shoot now. And he's a good offensive option when the clock down to 5-7 seconds. Also, he playes very solid D.

I don't think MoT can take over the 2nd quarter everynight when Steve and Yao are resting. Cat should play with MoT at 2nd quarter as 1 2 punches.

16. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Chris Webber. I would like him now if we could get him. But he's like not that great. He isn't spectacular.

Mo Taylor is very good now and can get even better. Too bad he didn't grow a couple inches taller. But if he can grow stronger and get faster...and his tendons are safe...then he should be good.

Eddie is kinda developing well too.

NO WAY TO CWEBB.

Maybe so to Elton Brand...is he playing tonight?

17. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

what was that acronym again?

TTWJP?

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think webber didn't want to sign here, but he's whole lot better than mo taylor and i mean he would probaly the best passer on our team, but i am glad we got yao.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

wow! where have u been? 25 posts and joined in 2000? :confused:
    Guess you are a reader only. Or abandoned us for a while. ;)

20. wildhorse

wildhorse Member

Signing CW? Just joke. The management of Rox wouldn't agree to pay the extra twenty million.