1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need a superstar!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Captain Hook, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I know of a team that has three Superstars, and they still can't win against a good team. So, I'm not sure getting a superstar player is the answer. It might just take something else.

2. anchel

anchel Member

Mayo would be a great fit, the problem is how you convince Memphis. They won't accept Martin's contract.

A pick, or two, plus...? Budinger+Hill? They could easily ask for Scola.

3. BradMiller

BradMiller Member

Nah we need an overrated scrub

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Miami has three of them and they are hot in name only.

5. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

I want Kobe, and Lebron, and Dwight, and Durant. CP3 might do if we can't get anyone else. Morey get off your ass...

It's easy to talk. :rolleyes:

6. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

This is because Fire, Desire, Grit and Toughness don't show up on Morey's statistical computer.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

even my grandmother knows that. we're not going anywhere until we do.

gotta find a way to get melo.

and we trade to be in their position in a millisecond

8. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Mayo is good, but you'd have to give up more then Martin for him imo.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure all three of them of over 20 PER. So much for Hollinger's glorious stat.

10. limitlessRox

limitlessRox Member

I don't think many people within the organization are ready for an overhaul. And with things going on like they are in SAC, i don't think a trade is smart. However, if could somehow threaten martin to play defense or just replace him, that would be nice. The solution really isn't a superstar. It's more of, who can we get to play defense like their life depended on it, is hardworking during practice, and can put up points when required. That's what Lee, Ariza, and Artest were supposed to do.

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

actually, all of their PER have dropped at least 7 points from last year. bron's at 23; wade barely at 20; bosh at 17-18. so technically they are not playing to their capabilities -> heat struggling.

12. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Technically, t_mac1.....

...the Miami Heat are struggling because they haven't decided who's going to do what between LeBron James, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh.....

....and that their collusion to play together, and to subsequently announce a parade of championships, has upped the ante against every team in the league, who all want them to lose and will fight them tooth and nail to make it happen.

Until they get their act together. Then people will be in trouble.

I said it when the three of them joined up, and I'll say it again: Dwayne Wade has to play guard, LeBron James has to play forward, and Chris Bosh has to play on the blocks.

They have to do their own jobs now. They don't each have to wear two and three hats (and consequently, play the game any way they want to), because they have too much talent on the team for that.

To get the most out of each other, they have to get out of each others' way.

I mean.....

....that's why they've got five positions on a basketball team....right?

13. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I noticed that every team is fighting them tooth and nail and just about everybody minus Heat fans want them to lose.

14. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Yea the Griz will just decide to bend over in front of Morey and give up Mayo and Hasheem for Martin. :rolleyes:

15. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

You're probably right about the organization not totally committed to the idea of rebuilding the team, limitlessRox.

Yao's the litmus test for this team. Everybody in management is crossing their fingers and toes, hoping that somehow, Yao can stay upright, and isn't as fragile as fine China (ouch).

Yao gives the Rockets the best chance to win big. Or at least, Yao's convinced the decision-makers that he does. Until that changes, the Rockets are going to be who they are.

Whatever that is.

I said in a different thread that I personally think that Kevin Martin is not a bad player, on average. He certainly won't make any all-league defensive teams, but he's not entirely useless defensively. His deficiencies are magnified because the entire team is struggling.

I can remember Marcus Camby being routinely in the voting for Defensive Player of the Year because he routinely blocked three to four shots a game. Stats which, again, mislead people, because it doesn't tell you much about the TEAM defense......

When Camby played in Denver, that was never considered a defensive team, but Camby put up great rebounding and shot-blocking numbers there. That usually happened, though, because so many other Nuggets were so bad, Camby worked overtime to cover for them.

It's to Camby's credit he was able to do that job so well. Much the same thing happens for the Nuggets now with Chris "Birdman" Anderson.

If you've got suspect perimeter defenders, the best antidote for that (aside from an out-and-out-swap of players) is to have an athletic big man patrolling the middle, with a block-every-shot-he-can-get-his-hands-on mentality.

It's rumored that the closest player the Rockets have to that kind of big man is Jordan Hill. There are certainly flashes of that type of player in Hill, from what we've seen of him in the short time he's been with the Rockets.

What you're asking for in essence, limitlessRox, is for the team to form a reliable CORE—three or four players who are your best offensively and defensively. That core may or may not include Yao Ming, and that is clouding the issue presently.

The big problem with that is knowing who you can rely on to score as well as defend. If you've got players revolving in and out of your lineup like turnstiles...well.....

...that's why there are so many layups at the basket.....

16. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

thread title=obvious.. thread=obvious

not too sure what i was expecting...

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

You know, when you think about it, we just need a starting lineup of well, NBA starters. I promise you, Battier, Lowry, and Hayes do not start for 99% of NBA teams, especially all together. Every time Adelman runs out that lineup, I think, this is an exercise in futility. I think Martin and Scola are starters, but they are "support" starters if you get my drift. They are best at playing off of other "real" NBA starters. SuperStars would be nice, but, right now, I would settle for a group of true NBA starters.

18. hoffbroz

hoffbroz New Member

Imo we trade it all for Griffin

19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

You joined Clutchfans in Feb 2010 yet you know what I used to post about a few years ago? So what is your other moniker you go by? ;)

BTW I never bashed McGrady because he was always injured, I lie, I did, but my main problem with him was not his injuries. I just didn't think he had a winning attitude and never really came through when things got physical (like in the playoffs).

I don't think Yao has those issues, his is mainly health. I'm not one of those fans who gives up on a guy who's down, especially when that person has done nothing but give 100%. I won't deny that I'm a huge Yao fan, so I might be biased in my opinion. But I have hope he can come back and lead this team, I do think he needs someone else to carry the load as well (Carmelo maybe), but he is the right ingredient to the puzzle, so lets give him some time.