1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We may have reached the Apocalyptic Scenario with Antibiotics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

See, that means that different people have different opinions, and they actively disagree. See, people have different "opinions" about global warming too. The fact that some people still insist it is a hoax, doesn't mean that people can't look at the facts and come to a conclusion

Without the "green revolution" we couldn't feed everybody on earth, and green revolution technologies are dependent on fossil fuels. These two facts aren't in question.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's why I was asking...

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So fascinating that our species just can't seem to think outside a very small sphere. Doctors have been handing antibiotics out like candy for decades, with only sloppy follow up (i.e. patients can easily not complete the course).

Really agree with Otto that, tragically, this could be the relatively easy path to a sustainable world population.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I do not like Business Insider. I read some of the story before realizing it was by BI, but in a way I knew - because it is so poorly written. Can we find a substitute article?

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On my homepage I get a variety of articles from various sources but that one caught my attention. As others have noted this is a problem that people have been talking about for years now. I thought the article was interesting because it is saying that we may have already reached disaster level with it.

There are lots of other articles out there. When I have time will try to post but a simple search will turn up several.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes it is true very shortsighted thinking by the medical profession. What I find even worse is the practice of adding antibiotics to animal feed to make them put on muscle faster. That has always just seemed dumb for a short term gain in how quickly meat is sent to market.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Should I evacuate to Boulder or Las Vegas??

(Let's see if anyone gets the reference.)

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Have viral cold symptoms...go to the doctors and get antibiotics...smh...unfortunately, until people start using common sense about when to go to the doctors, and if fellow physicians stop over-prescribing and actually using medical knowledge...this problem wouldnt be so rampant.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I'm not sure who to believe regarding overpopulation, all I can say is that there are always opposing views to any topic.
    This video is actually pretty entertaining and maybe even informative (if it's true).

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/x2YFf-u5KT0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

reminds me of the time my uncle had to reach down into the porta-potty to retrieve his cell phone which had fallen in

11. Nook

Nook Member

Just let it go brah.... let it go.....

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

What?

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Funny how most of the thread seems to blame the medical community for overprescribing yet little blame is on the patient that doesn't finish their course or the overbearing mother who absolutely must have something to treat their kid's acute ear infection.

This problem is A LOT more complex than you guys think. I'm sure other physicians on the board would love to chime in.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm not a physician, but I would like to say that IMO the problem is people other than myself.

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

/thread

16. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

The Walkin' Dude says Vegas, headed out west with the Trashcan Man

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Thanks ObamaCare (tm)!!!

MDs know better ... yet ... they can not help themselves.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I know an easier way, we can start with you and Otto since you both are so concerned with overpopulation.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I would like to point out that there have been Apocalyptic scenarios written about since the begging of man's history. And yet here we are still going strong and overpopulating according to Otto.

Maybe we should look to the dinosaurs, the only living things to truly ever realize an apocalypse. History does repeat itself so I think the big giant rock falling from the sky will eventually be our apocalypse too.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

well, let's just say my worries in this arena affected the future of my own personal genetic line, and that of Mrs. B-Bob. We are a genetic culdesac, intentionally.

This population thing isn't a fantasy of one poster. A lot of smart people have tried to estimate the # of people the earth can hold in a healthy way, and it may shock you to know that the number is not infinite. Read up on this if you're interested.

We are already causing a mass extinction (fact) and a large % of Earth's population doesn't even have access to sanitary drinking water (fact). There are already clear signs that we're beyond a sustainable #, whatever you think that # is.

Yes, there have been doomsday predictions before, sure. That doesn't negate all predictions, however, especially ones carefully based on reason. God gave us brains after all, most probably for a good reason. People like you sometimes remind me of the preacher who stays in his church and keeps saying God will save him from rising flood waters, even as others flee. After he drowns and confronts God at the pearly gates, God says "I tried. I gave you a ton of information and chances to evacuate. WTF, dude."

#40 B-Bob, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014