1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We have 2 good trade assets...Lets Discuss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ansfjs73, May 3, 2008.

1. eedgejr

eedgejr Contributing Member

I wouldn't trade for Artest unless it was an equal trade for Shane. But Morey is all about the moneyball. He runs the numbers to find undervalued young players or veterans with favorable contracts. Case in point, Scola/Landry are a big part of our success this year.

I would like to see us go after Diop as a backup center. He's game is close to Deke's but he is in his twenties.

We need to shore up PG even though Rafer has been a sometime hero. Beno Udrih has been consistently good since Bibby has left and has a lot of upside.

Finally, I would like to see Morey work his magic on the draft or oversees rookies to land us a scoring option off the bench at the two.

2. kejohn

kejohn Member

If we aren't improving, we are getting losing ground. Even when healthy, we need a third scoring option, even if it is off the bench, and more consistent PG play.

3. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

That is a good point. Especially, for everyone out there that wanted Artest on our team. We will be taking a risk no matter whom they choose. I know Davis is not the nicest person in the world. However, many of us said that we needed a gritty, player with a mean streak. Davis is a realistic option to me. He has taken a back seat on the Wolves & Heat teams. I believe that Davis wants a contract and play for a winning team. He is not going to get a big contract in free agency. Wait till July, Brand, Artest, Marion and others will not opt out unless they want to got to a bad team. Who will be out there?

4. i hate the mavs

i dont know if we need mike miller... did you guys see steve novak drain those 3s today? i think he can really develop into something good

5. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Its kinda hard to imagine Mike Miller on the Rockets without giving up Battier but if possible im down for it. He would be a great combo 6th man and 3rd scorer.

6. jajayao

jajayao Member

5 guys I have a hard time giving up:

Yao: Best center in the league..
    Tmac: He'll bring it when he needs to, and no way would we get equal value for him, might as well live and die with him until his contract is up.
    Rafer: Cheap contract, knows the players, and acts like a clear leader on the floor.
    Shane: Defensive player of the year material. Cheap contract too.
    Scola: Rookie of the year material. Still has room to grow big time.

That is also my predicted starting 5 for 08-09. The rest are fair game.

7. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

The only problem with rafer is which player will show up on any given night...One night he looks chris paulish, the next day he is matt maloneyish

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No way would I give Scola and Landry for Andre Miller. I feel we should keep both of them. Mike Miller would be nice but expiring contracts won't get it done.

9. nokidding

nokidding Member

We need a third scorer. Artest will fill that role perfectly. I think under the right situation, Artest will behave well. He was quite normal when he was with the Pacers.

10. scola4president

Ricky Davis is a joke. Please dont ever mention his as a player you think the Rockets should acquire. For the price Id rather stick with Head over that proven loser.

11. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

The only one that's TRULY untouchable is Yao. Although I wouldn't hold my breath for McGrady or Alston to get traded, they could be subject to a trade if the right deal comes along.

Personally I think we might just keep Tmac until his contract is up, in which knowing his mentality, he might just retire. I would probably like to see Tmac traded on his last year of his contract to get someone young and good. Nothing against Tmac, but I think with his type of body, aging will really take a toll on him. You can say the same about Yao, but great Centers are harder to come by.

Miller would be a great great great addition to this team, but we'd have to trade a starter for him. And possibly a good backup player. Maybe they'll ask for Battier and one of our PF's.

12. Raven

Raven Member

This team hasn't been out of the first round in over a decade. No player is untouchable. The Rockets need a stud point guard. Until they get one, everything else is just wishful thinking. Next on the list should be a backup big man.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Ricky Davis has been to the postseason 3 times.
    In those trips he has played 15 games and shot 42% from the field and 37% from the 3pt line.

Luther Head has been to the postseason 2 times
    In those trips he has played 13 games and shot 24% from the field and 21% from the 3pt line.

Luther Head is 25, Ricky Davis 28. Give me RickyD any day of the week - particularly since his price will probably be quite low this off-season!

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Agreed. He'd be a great fit for the biannual exception if he would sign for that.

15. koopa

koopa Member

I'm fed up with the rockets organisation because every year they try to be conservative and end up not signing a quality player because of thinking abt the future salary cap or whatever..like artest for example. If we continue thinking abt the future philosophy...it's not gonna take us anywher. And i think the tmac -yao experiment should be changed..tmac's 0-7 in the playoffs..it is what it is..he's just not a playoff player. Not that yao is either..but tmac is old now..sad

16. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

You lost me when you put Shane on your list.

17. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

If Deke does not return we need a back up Center or Defensive Enforcer.
    Someone to compliment Yao and make up for some of his weaker skills; rebounding and putbacks, defense.
    And most importantly, this person would give Yao a much needed rest so he doesnt risk another injury from constant playing.

I think all other positions are fine as long as we have health on our side.

But I think they will move a player or two, not who we necesarrily want, but someone who will fit more of the philosophy Adelman has in mind for this team in the future.

18. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

will you guys get over the scola, landry, and/or brooks for mike miller already???

why the hell would you trade away the future of this team when we have been on the edge of sanity with two brittle super stars?

19. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Artest or Raja Bell won't make a difference if Yao Ming and Rafer are injured again. Their teams either didn't make the playoffs or got bounced in the first round. We will just outrebounded and lose on the low post battle. Another player, another playoff loss.

Deke is getting up there in age. His defense has deterioated. We need Yao to be able play a whole season.

Trade our medical staff and Luther Head to the Suns for their medical staff.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the rockets summer shopping list should look something like:

1. perimeter scorer - someone who can create his own shot 1-on-1. hopefully a slasher who gets to the line alot, but i'll take anyone who can score 12+ a night from the bench.

possible targets: maggetty, m.miller, mobley, pietrus, dunleavy, r.davis.

2. shot bloker - deke is retiring and outside of yao the rockets have no one to protect the basket. this guy doesn't have to be great, just good enough for 12 minutes a night.

possible targets: ratliff, harrison, darko, gadzuric, diop, pryzbilla, nesterovic.

short list because we're a damn good team already.