1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

we cant win, nerds predict our future!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yao123, Apr 18, 2009.

1. tutone88

tutone88 Member

Great math there. Advance the higher seed to the next round and pick the team with home court advantage to win the finals. Brilliant.

2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

All they did was pick the higher seed to win each game. They are so smart!

3. 9495

9495 Member

Computers are more predictable than games :D
    They are no fun.

4. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

In their defense, the Rockets have not won a first found series since Yao has been here. Rockets have always been the darkhorse. Maybe they will be proven wrong this year.

5. kwng

kwng Member

A stochastic regression technique to predict the outcomes. Well, it sounds impressive but it's data input that counts and it's data from past data. Anyway, I am not to worry about their prediction if it is based on past data.
    I thought they came up with some wizardry prediction system based on collective team skills, communications, chemistry and personalities.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The way they describe it, they're looking at how teams with a certain set of attributes fair against opponents with another set of attributes, in general, and applying that to make their prediction. Sounds like a reasonable approach, and I think the more seasons / playoff series you look at, the more confident you could be with the predictions.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Props on the thread title:)

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

You need to log off the computer and take yo azz to nap, and then don't log on again........ :eek:

9. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Lol yup I noticed same, it is real tough to pick better seeded team everytime then just go on a crapshoot if Cavs/Celts/Lakers are gonna win title. And then they put Celts losing to Magic w/out Garnett, man these guys are brilliant I would've never thought such things :p

The only thing about it is: They probably don't see any game in the West all that important, like most people they probably just give the West to the Lakers, so other series preceeding don't really matter.

10. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

our math is better than their math.

11. Precision340

Precision340 Member

yep.. some things math and science cannot predict..

12. Electro

Electro Member

exactly. so let's not fret or fear this...for this was the method that most likely has brought us much success. it's a beautiful paradox to me.

13. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I'm sure they could also come up with a multi-variate regression model that includes enough independent variables to have either #8 seed going all the way. Quantitative methodology is not the primary way you should evaluate basketball.

14. daRox

daRox Member

you, sir, are STUPID.

Idiot post of the year :rolleyes:

15. BlameTracy

BlameTracy Member

Oh look, the classic "if it's so great, then why doesn't everybody do it" argument. FYI: a lot of people do. Some people use sophisticated analysis to make a nice living at sports betting.

Also, LOL at the literacy-challenged people in this thread berating nerds.