1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We better keep dmo and tjones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Dec 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Can't believe there is still someone who wants to give up on Motiejunascolajuwon! :eek:

2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

T jones should be the oddman out, however Dmo has the most value and there is no time table for terences return. It all depends on who will be more disgruntled coming off the bench.

1 person likes this.
  3. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Unless J-Smoove has an epiphany moment, in which he becomes a total team first type of guy and he plays well with the team (Harden and Howard, mostly), he probably won't be back next season unless he is willing to accept MLE/Ariza type deal or less. That or we win a championship with Smith playing a huge role and becomes that 3rd star we needed along the way. Possible, but unlikely.

So keeping Dmo and Jones is very important unless one of them can net us a player that will put us over the top and into a championship. And knowing Morey, he won't let them go unless we do get that type of players.

DMo's tenure as a Rocket is based on the health of Jones. If Jones comes back and plays like he did before the nerve thing, DMo becomes a piece, albeit a hard piece, to use in a trade. Same for Jones. Right now, he has zero value and will have so until he comes back and shows the nerve thing didn't hurt him. But the moment he becomes JONES and does #Jonesing things, he becomes a possible piece.

4. Raven

Raven Member

I think D-Mo stays unless the returning player is a borderline all star. I don't think Jones is getting traded until he shows he can recover from his weird injury.

1 person likes this.
  5. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

I don't know what to say or except. I'm a huge DMO's fan and the guy worked hard to to earn that starting spot. He played well, didn't got into injuries and still lost out the PF spot. I know one played can't be bigger than club, but I'd say JSMith should come of the bench.

6. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Depends. We have till Feburary to see if Smith can resurrect his career and fit in. If he is playing well, Jones or Dmo will have to go if we go after Dragic.
    Hopefully Jones can get healthy and be that trade piece because a rotation of Howard, Dmo and a quality Josh Smith could be one of the best in the league.

If Smith is not panning out, we can let him go or maybe use him as a trade piece and keep Jones and Dmo.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sino rocketfan

D-mo won't leave unless the offer is difficult to refuse.
    T-Jones is more likely to be traded.
    I agree that we should keep both of them, at least before summer. They are valuable backups at least.
    What if J-Smooth just leave in summer? What if he still plays bad just like what he does in past two years?
    Under that situation our power forward position would be a big problem again.

8. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I just think both of them have really good potiental with smith as our starter. Which I don't like to be honest. I'm sure we are going to make moves, I really hope we can get dragic back.

9. Lunareste

Lunareste Member

What do you mean until February? We can't trade Smith if he doesn't work out, because he won't have been on the team for a full 3 months before the trade deadline ends.

10. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

2 months?

11. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I can see TJones being moved

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

D-Mo and TJ *might* get traded at some point, but not as part of creating room for smith.

for different reasons, both are essentially untradeable right now. TJ because he's injured, and the injury is one that casts a shadow over his future. he might be back next week, next month, or never. no GM is going to give you value with that type of uncertainty, and DM is all about dat value.

DMo is playing too well, and you don't know what Smith will give you yet. you don't give up a promising 7footer to take a 4 month flyer on a player who may or may not be washed up.

now, is Smith shows something in the next 6-8 weeks, i could see Dmo being moved as part of a package for Dragon. but ideally, not even then- there are other assets more could use to make that trade, and a D-Ho, D-Mo, J-Smoove front court rotation is as good as it gets in the NBA.

bottom line, D-Mo and TJ are not going anywhere anytime soon.

13. JuckTheFazz!

JuckTheFazz! Rookie

3 months.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

C'mon now. Smith is far from being washed up. 29 years old. Yes he might not be an almost Allstar but he isn't some scrub. 8-9 years veteran years.

You cannot just brush it off

15. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

I think Morey needs to be patient with DMo and TJones. The PF situation will resolve itself eventually. Each of them has some traits that really stand out.

JSmith - perimeter defense with blocks and steals (elite), scoring at the rim (was elite in Atl), defensive rebounds, passing
    DMo - defense, post up (elite) = shot creation, passing, height
    TJones - offensive and defensive rebounds, scoring at the rim (elite)

People here have been underrating TJones since the series against Portland. I still believe that TJones has a lot of potential to improve on the defensive end, and maybe he already has after that series. Unless Morey can find us another borderline star, I think Morey should just wait until the summer to make a decision on who to keep long term.

16. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

Keep Canaan, & Dmo. If you have to trade somebody let it be T Jones.

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It's not a fact that Smith will only be here this year. If he plays well and the team advances in the playoffs he could become an important piece. He's only 29 and I doubt he is looked at as a short term fill in for Jones or anyone else.

18. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Keep both Jones and Motiejunas. Last I checked.....dragic can't guard Aldridge, ibaka, griffin, dirk,etc

19. pass_to_Hakeem

Which is TERRIBLE for building "team chemistry" which is HUGE towards winning CHIPS!!!

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Last time I checked, T-Jones couldn't guard anyone, period.