1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

We are screwed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Sep 5, 2001.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I don't think there is a worse injury for a professional athlete (including blowing out a knee) than tearing your achilles. I can't remember a player that has ever fully recovred from it. Look at Christian Laettner (never the same player), LaPhonso Ellis(same), or other guys from other sports. Hell, look no further than Kevin Smith (Cowboys) who is probably drying off cars at Oakley's Car Wash in New York. Lawrence Taylor (possibly the toughest competitor on the planet in his day) couldn't even overcome it.

You take a guy like MO who is known for his injury riddled past and his lack of toughness and pop his achilles...I hate to say it guys but we are in for 6 years of him riding the pines and nursing injuries. I dont know about oyu guys but Im absolutely sick to my stomach.

If we can somehow get a medical exception and sign Jackson or Mase, we will be very lucky. One thing to remember, after the NBA Board of Govs gave the Heat the exception for Zo last year, only to watch him come back and play...I have to think that it is going to be next to impossible to get them to grant another one anytime soon. :(

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Dominique Wilkins blew out his achilles, came back and finished 2nd in scoring behind Jordan and played another decade. Manning and Ellis came back fine, they just happened to get the same injury again. Mostly because they never bothered to strengthen their legs. Tim Hardaway came back fine, he just suffered other injuries that killed him. But Dominique Wilkins came back fine from that type of injury, so I have no doubt Mo can to!

3. NJRocket

Let me get this straight...you are comparing Nique's athleticism to Mo's?

4. RocksMillenium

Where did you see me comparing Dominique's athleticism to Mo's!!!??? I'd be nuts to compare Mo's athleticism to a guy who was nicknamed "The Human Highlight Film", but you said that a player never comes back fully from this injury, and I gave you an example of a player that did, and had a great career for several years AFTER the injury! What is more significant is that 'Nique is a guy who used his legs more then Mo did. Mo uses his legs, but 'Nique's ultimate weapons WERE his legs, and he came back from the same injury. In other words, I think Mo can come back fine physically from this injury. I'm more concerned about the mental part.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I thought Manning and Ellis had ACL injuries, not achilles.....

Can anyone confirm either way?

6. RocksMillenium

You know what pip, you're right. It was an ACL injury definitely for Manning. I remember that. I can't remember Ellis' injury. Aren't ACLs worse then achilles injuries? I think Dallas Rocket or someone commented about that injury.

7. NJRocket

You said that If Nique can come back, so can Mo. I am saying that they are 2 comletely different types of athletes and players and that there is no comparison. As far as Fonz and Manning....Fonz blew out his knee AND his achilles...MAnning was just his knees I believe.

Mo has always been plagued by minor injuries. This will only compound the problem. If you don't see this as a career changing injury, then I think you are nuts. You are talking about a guy who sits out for 2 weeks with a slightly sprained ankle.

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

NJRocket, only a troll would ever question the benefits of Maurice blowing out his achilles tendon. I bet you're going to predict doom when Rice goes down for a few weeks in December, huh troll?

Here play w/ this statement and reprogram thyself:
    I hope playerX suffers a career threatening injury so that playerY will get time to shine.

and plug in these random values:
    X = {Steve, Cuttino, Rice, Eddie}
    Y = {Moochie, Langhi, Morris, Collier}

<u>and remember:</u>
    If you're not happy everytime a Rocket gets injured, you're not a Rockets fan!!!

9. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

... but you said there has been no player coming back from such an injury, and he proved you wrong. :D

Anyway, get well soon MO. :)

10. NJRocket

What the HELL are you talking about???? When did I ever question the benefits of Mo injury? Can you read?

11. Achebe

I started out w/ a smilie thread, but uhnuhn, no smilies for you.

You questioned whether this injury was a bad thing, did you not? Around here, that means you're not a Rockets fan. Mo's injury is good. Mmmm..hmmmm, good injury. So what if Dominique had the strongest rubber bands ever in his achilles. The fact that they could even reattach Dominique's achilles shows that Mo has hope.

#11 Achebe, Sep 5, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2001
  12. NJRocket

If you can find where I questioned if the injury was a bad thing in my post...I'll pay for a doctor to give you a house call to surgically remove your head from your sphincter.

I never questioned anything....I know for a fact its a bad injury

13. Achebe

Questioned may have been a bad word. Perhaps 'hinted'.

There you go. Specifically writing that Mo's injury is a bad thing clear as day on the BBS. Hast thou no shame troll?<font size="-5" color="#DEDFDF">sarcasm! hello! sarcasm!</font>

#13 Achebe, Sep 5, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2001
  14. RocksMillenium

Well saying that Mo sits out 2 weeks with a sprain ankle doesn't give all the facts because how serious WAS the injury!? I believe Barkley missed about 2 weeks the first season with the Rockets with a sprained ankle. It would be logical to think that the heavier the player, the harder it would be for them to play on a sprain ankle, depending on how bad it is. And saying Dominique and Mo are two different players is my point. Dominique was a player that used his legs MORE then Mo does. Nique was a jumper, slasher, and perimeter shooter later in his career. Everything he did came from his legs. Mo doesn't use his legs nearly as much as Dominique did. Saying it's career changing is one thing, but career changing could be anything. But players have come back fully from it, usually another freak injury is what derails them. In fact Manning came back completely from a WORSE injury, but he blew out his OTHER knee.

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Mo Taylor will come back stronger than ever. :eek:

16. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

NJ, don't take him seriously man. :)

Sarcasm can be an annoying thing...

17. knifejc

knifejc Member

I would like to know what percentage of players who suffer this type of devstating injury (ACL, Achilles, etc.) come back stronger than before or at least at the same level if not slightly lower.
    I know Nique has been one person mentioned in this thread but are there any others?

18. Matador

Matador Member

Achebe. I think you are being too hard on NJRocket. While NJ's post was pessimestic it in no way warranted the attack you threw on him IMHO. Lighten up.

By the way I apprecaite the ESPN insider stories you post NJRocket.

19. Achebe

thanks astro. I was beginning to lose faith. :D

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Achebe: If you're going to blast the poor guy at least make him aware of why you are blasting him. It seems like you're using him to blast other people, mainly me. Go ahead and blast me all you want. It's not like it's the first time that has ever happened to me here on this BBS.