1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We are no longer undersized

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haoafu, Dec 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Just realized that after years of being the undersized team, we have pretty good size in our starting 5.

Lin, Parsons and Asik have size advantage on most nights. Harden has pretty good size for his position, and also has advantage with his long arms. Patterson has ok size but good wingspan and leaping ability. If he can't come back, we'll have the only undersized starter in Morris.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How is last year's team undersized compared to this year's?

3. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Because Patterson and Parsons are older and therefore taller

4. haoafu

Asik is taller, Patterson has better wingspan and vertical than Scola, Lin is taller than Lowry. Harden has better wingspan and vertical than Martin...Talking about starters.

5. arjun

arjun Member

I think the big reason we don't seem "undersized" anymore is because of Omer ASik and Greg Smith doing work down low.

Last year we weren't getting anywhere near this much production out of Dalembert and Scola/Patterson who often played back up 5.

We actually have quality big men now, with the exception of 2Pat at the 4...need a major upgrade at that position if we want to be in the upper echelon of the west.

I know that will take time, I am willing to have patience..Morey has hit homeruns all over the place as of late.

6. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

OP forgot that we had Camby, Thabeet and Dalembert last year, 3 legit 7 foters, though Asik and Montie have more upside and much more mobile than dalembert and camby

7. just a word

just a word Member

Smith is actually undersized, but he really doesn't seem it with how strong he is and his ridiculous reach and hands.

8. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Otis Thorpe was 6'10, some people are stuck in this world that the Rockets are always undersized.

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Since the end of last season to after the draft...we had a team of PF's...better not be undersized...

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

We were undersized for exactly 2 seasons. Before then, we had size. After that, we had size. Now, this may be the most athletic Rockets team we've seen in a while though.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We weren't undersized for long. We went from Hakeem to Yao/Mutombo and after Yao retired, we had a season with Hayes at center. After that, we had Dalembert, Camby, and now Asik and Smith. It wasn't that we were undersized, but rather we have a lot of tweeners for the 4 spot and a lot of unskilled to mediocre big men that it felt like size up front was a huge issue.

12. haoafu

Not only the frontcourt, where Scola played small to his size due to his limited winspan and vertical, but also Martin with short arms and thin frame played small. From AB to Lowry, our size at the PG position is not an advantage for years until later last season when Dragic started for a stretch.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We were never undersized. Coach got over that small ball ****.
    I remember camby and dally sitting out the 4 quarters.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

OT played next to an undersized center.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's pretty much it.

We had size last year but it wasn't very athletic. Our front court was just so slow.

Our frontcourt players this year are more agile and vertical.

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Hmmmm I'm curious, but does anyone actually know what Hakeem's measurements were?

I mean even if Hakeem measured 6'10 or 6'11(w/t shoes) that doesn't mean he was undersized, if he had a a 9'3 to 9'5 standing reach he could play much, much, bigger then his height would suggest.

Heck we see the same thing with Howard and Cousins today, both without shoes are just shades over 6'9, but given their massive standing reaches they can play much bigger then their height would suggest.

17. haoafu

Exactly. If you put reach and vertical into the equation, we were very undersized with the starting lineup including AB/Lowry, Martin, Scola, Hayes.

18. bongman

bongman Member

The title statement is what I use to to attempt to convince myself of the awkward reality of my personal attributes :(

1 person likes this.
  19. liljojo

liljojo Member

Well when you have Yao holding down the middle for 10 years, everyone seems undersized.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's a real story, I think. The athleticism of this team is phenomenal. The starters run people off the court, even awkward looking Omer, and then the bench just keeps it up. If we're lucky with injuries, we just might win some games simply because the other dudes are blown in the 4th.