1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WC Semifinals] (2)Denver vs. (3)Portland

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2019.

?

(2)Denver vs. (3)Portland

Poll closed Apr 30, 2019.
  1. Nuggets in 4

1.7%
  2. Nuggets in 5

10.2%
  3. Nuggets in 6

16.9%
  4. Nuggets in 7

27.1%
  5. Blazers in 7

10.2%
  6. Blazers in 6

27.1%
  7. Blazers in 5

5.1%
  8. Blazers in 4

1.7%
  1. JW86

JW86 Member

Good for you, but I think fans here are letting their ego and fandom blur their vision. It’s hard as a fan to admit that the team you’re rooting for is embracing a flawed philosophy. In 20 years maybe most people will admit, maybe even Morey, that they were wrong and we wasted Harden’s prime.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Baffles that people really think Morey forces player to take only 3s, they have to explain me why Chris Paul still takes those shot then.

DreamShook, Patience and YOLO like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

or nene, or gg, or even shumpert who just got here lol

Vivi likes this.
  4. The Letter O

The Letter O Member

You're insane.

5. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

Lebron doubling-down:

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nah, I'm being rational and not letting emotions of being eliminated by a team with 4 all-stars affect what we all know.

If we go into a series with Denver or Portland we'd be picked and expected to win. Just because they beat up on each other doesn't change that.

There's going to be a lot of overreaction for Portland doing what they did when the Rockets have been doing this for years now. Congrats on Portland for finally reaching the WCF though.

tmoney1101, RayRay10 and RyanB like this.
  7. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

LBJ *tripling* down- even the Comical can't ignore this now:

cheke64 likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree with Lebron but it really is lame of him tweeting when his team didn't even make the playoffs. You know how bad your team has to be to not make the playoffs in a league where more than half of the teams make the playoffs?

Dude over there talking trash about Morey while his team didn't even make the playoffs and have no idea what they are doing. The Lakers have a terrible front office, one of the worst, he really has no room to talk right now.

9. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

You are the only person in America who believes Lebron does not have "room" to talk about basketball whenever he wants to.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There are two extremes. (1) Analytics is correct. In the long run, teams that stick to shooting 3s and layups have good offensive efficiency. (2) **** analytics. Look at how McCollum won the game for Portland.

The truth is always somewhere in between. Midrange shots are inefficient. You try to create 3pt shots and layups in your offense. That is true. I have always supported analytics. I bet those who say analytics is useless must be using Google and iPhone and all the technologies they can access. Analytics is just technology that help enhance our knowledge of reality.

BUT, there is a negative side effect in brainwashing our players to avoid midrange shots. The 3-point line becomes a mental barrier for them. They habitually stop crossing the arc. There was a critical play (and JVG pointed that out immediately) in our last game against GSW. We had a 3 on 1 fast break. It could have been an easy layup. But two of the guys stopped at the 3 point line and they didn't know what to do. We missed a golden opportunity to extend the lead. Instead, we missed a shot and the opponent scored at the other end and the lead evaporated.

There was a game in the regular season when we were down one point with a few seconds left. Harden worked so hard to take a contested 3 instead of driving into the open midrange to shoot. I bet it never entered his mind that they only needed two points to win.

Shooting 3s and layup is a good strategy. It is not crappy stuff. But having the mental blockage of the midrange has some negative effect, especially in tight game situations when scoring on each possessions is important.

JohnGreatest and plates300 like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Who said anything about him talking about basketball?

LeGM is over here criticizing Morey while his team didn't even make the playoffs and the FO of the Lakers crashes and burns.

Not sure why he's concerned about our organization when his is in shambles right now.

House Rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  12. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

Deadspin has the meme (midrange, Lebron's tweet) front and center. So, the Rockets' "season" is not over.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The analytics stuff would have worked if Harden had a killer instinct or MDA went to his bench. You self-loathing Rockets fans dunking on Morey with the rest of the world can suck it.

I see the usual suspects reveling in the Rockets demise and that sh-t is annoying.

House Rockets and Os Trigonum like this.
  14. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

Post-Game Press Conference: CJ says he "emptied the clip."

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This is what I'm saying! If Harden would just use all the damn tools in his bag, Rockets would have a championship and be in the WCF. Harden has a turn around step-back in the lane that is just as unstoppable as his step back 3; he used it once in game 5 when the Rockets needed a bucket.

He never uses it now, instead launches dumb ass contested shots instead of just getting an easy bucket and keeping the scoreboard moving.

The more I think about it, the angrier I get with James Harden.. Why the hell is he so afraid to dominate? He loves to be humiliated and laughed at.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  16. Asian Sensation

Just like we were supposed to beat Portland in 2015 with the better team. Just like we were supposed to beat the Spurs without Kawhi 2 years ago. Moot point though we couldn’t even beat the Warriors with 1 true all star and 2 fringe all-stars.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  17. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I love Harden but he lacks killer instinct in crucial moments. CP3 has been terrible since his hamstring injury last year. Man I will probably take Dame + CJ over Harden + CP3, especially in the playoff.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Real basketball from the couch?

STFU lol

Vivi likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

The feeling i have is that with the stepback 3 he bacame more "lazy" with his playstyle, instead of using more moves he just settled with one less because his new signature one is easier and more flashy.

I really don't want to offend anyone but i don't know how you can be so dumb to blame a general manager because a franchise player in his 30s is not using a particular shot after he already used it, and while the other franchise player still uses it...like, Morey himself said in an interview that there's nothing wrong with using a mid range shot if the player who uses it is good at it, and i guess there's a reason why Morey still tried to sign Aldridge, he obviously wanted Durant, Melo...people really think he would've forced these guys to only shoot 3s? Lmao.

What the Rockets are basically saying is that since the midrange shot is on paper the less efficient shot, it's not worth it if to take that is a scrub, and i don't understand what's wrong with that...but i guess some people would love to see PJ, Rivers, Gerald and House take midrange shot instead of 3s...

I'd be totally fine and actually agree if the criticism is "why we never signed/traded for more players able to shoot the midrange", but saying that Harden doesn't use it anymore because that's what Morey wants, is one of the dumbest things i've ever read here.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol, i actually forgot LeDone existed, i see he's trying to stay somehow relevant...

Easy and Zboy like this.