1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WC 1st round] L.A. Clippers vs. Memphis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 18, 2013.

Tags:
?

(4) L.A. Clippers vs. (5) Memphis

1. Clippers in 4

2.1%
  2. Clippers in 5

10.6%
  3. Clippers in 6

19.1%
  4. Clippers in 7

19.1%
  5. Grizzlies in 4

1.1%
  6. Grizzlies in 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Grizzlies in 6

18.1%
  8. Grizzlies in 7

29.8%
  1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I asked it like a question, or a suggestion. Sometimes we word things like that in the English language.

If you are going to debate people in English, then it is a good idea to know the language first.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Especially the Lakers. They got a ton better when Kobe went down. A true dark horse to win the West.

3. Karolik

Karolik Member

Translation:

Put Lin where CP3 is now and he will win the NBA finals.

Am I doing it right?

4. clippy

clippy Member

No, the Lakers have no chance to get to the Finals because they've been eliminated (this happened on Sunday). And I wouldn't give the Rockets a chance because they will be eliminated tonight. But every other team in the West has a remote chance given how wide-open the West is this year (eg, even a 7th seed like GS could theoretically beat the top seeds). It's hard to fathom any of these teams having a chance against Miami, barring injury. The only one I would give even a remote shot at winning the title would be San Antonio, maybe 20%? It'd be basically like Seattle or Phoenix beating the Bulls during their dynasty.

5. Karolik

Karolik Member

Lakers (obviously), Rockets and Nuggets stand no chance.

6. clippy

clippy Member

The Nuggets have a chance. They are a tough matchup for the Spurs, so it just comes down to them having to win one upset game @GS. Pretty much same situation the Clippers are in. I figure both of them have about a 30% chance to advance.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The sarcasm went undetected

8. what

what Member

Apparently clippy thinks the grizz winning this series means zilch, because Miami already won the title.

all clipper fans take after their team, immaturity and whinny.

9. clippy

clippy Member

Wait.. the Grizz won the series? Is this like your premature ejaculation before the series last year, during game 1, and before game 7?

Just like last year, when I was the one saying that the Grizz/Clipps would be a long, tough series and you were whooping it up about how the Clippers "weren't in the same stratosphere" as the Grizzlies, and just like this year, when I said, after the Clippers were up 2-0, that I was still worried because the Grizzlies were a tough team that I didn't want to face, I am simply being realistic.

Realistically, no, neither the Grizzlies nor the Clippers has a shot in hell against Miami. If you'll recall, I said the same thing last year about them vs. the Spurs, even after my Clippers advanced, and, lo and behold, they got waxed. Just because I am a fan doesn't mean I am delusional. I used to make a lot of money handicapping games and when you do this you have to set your fan bias aside.

Unfortunately, you are just that annoying hick who always goes with his "gut" and uses stupid cliches like "heart" and "grittiness" instead of actually analyzing the games. That's why you are consistently wrong about all of your comments and, predictably, went overboard because the Grizz happened to have one good season where they went to the 2nd round.

10. what

what Member

The grizzlies are playing the clippers not miami son, but it is your constant looking ahead that doesn't make any sense.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

clippy > what

1 person likes this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I find them to be pretty equal.

"Kobe has not provided any positive impact" - Clippy = "Rudy Gay is about to show the world he's on Durant's level" - What

Both are equally insane claims.

13. what

what Member

and yet i got more reps than all three of you.

#perspective

14. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

We're dealing with a badass over here guys!

15. clippy

clippy Member

My claim was purely based on records with and without Kobe. Anything else is just conjecture. I never said he was a bad player. I just think one-dimensional swingmen are very replaceable in this league, which is why anytime any of them sits, their replacement does fine. Melo is another example if you think it's just Kobe hate.

I may make some crazy claims and I'm not right all the time (eg, I thought the Lakers would be a lot more competitive against the Spurs in the 1st round then they were, even with all of the injuries). However, I will be consistent and look at the long term picture. If you look at this thread, nowhere, even after the Clippers were up 2-0, did I do any trash talking because I know these two teams are very even. Same thing last year. Meanwhile you have this homer 'what' just hooting and hollering even when he should have learned his lesson last year.

When the Heat assembled I made a bold claim that LeBron's cocky statements weren't even that off and that I fully expected them to win 4 or 5 titles in the next decade. I even made a bet with some idiot here about how the Heat would perform in 2010, won the bet, and he welshed out of it because apparently the Heat weren't quite as dominant as I predicted-- even though my claim was always a long-term prediction. Now, three years in, the Heat have a Finals visit and a title and most likely another title this year and from there, well, I don't see anyone stopping them.

When the Lakers assembled this year half the forum was penning them into the Finals and talking about how they would be unstoppable and I raised some questions about their chemistry, since this seemed very similar to '04. Of course Douchebag1978 laughed all this stuff off, but look what happened. Yes, they were injured, but if people think that's the root of all of their problems, they don't get it. The Bulls were more injured and it looks like they're going to the 2nd round at least.

No matter what happens this series (and despite what 'what' believes, it isn't over yet), neither of these teams is going to win the title because they are unfortunate to be good at a time when the Heat are dominant. However, it is a good opportunity because this is one year where the #4/5 seeds could actually get to the Finals. I don't see that happening either but at least it's a possibility.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I joined 2012...You joined 2003, yet only have 1 more bar

#perspective

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

FIFY.

The fact you won't retract it just means you're either stubborn or delusional.

18. Karolik

Karolik Member

Huh?

Nothing to do with matchup.
    A healthy Spurs will easily destroy the Nuggets. Actually not just the Nuggets, they would destroy the Clippers as well. They swept the Clippers last year did you forget?

The only reason I'm giving the Clippers a chance is because Spurs have some injuries. However if Blake Griffin is still injured, then add the Clippers to the list of no chance.

19. VBG

VBG Member

Clippy has some solid opinions but he goes overboard very often. Same with what.

It's fine though. Passionate fans are cool.

20. clippy

clippy Member

I am stubborn but what I stated was simply a statement of fact, since if you go by wins, Kobe has never positively impacted his team. I'm not aware of any other "superstar" that fits this easily measured criteria so it seems significant. Actually Melo might too. We have no way of knowing how the Lakers would have done if Kobe hadn't been there during the threepeat etc, so we can only speculate, but the best way to do so is simply to look at how they did when he wasn't there. That's all I was commenting on. Well, that, and the eyeball test which tells me that he takes an awful lot of bad shots that could be taken by any number of role players.

I am wrong plenty of times. I was totally wrong about Houston as I thought OKC would kill them tonight-- and am glad to be wrong as I can't stand OKC (their coach is of the Vinny Del Negro school of dumbasses). I don't think I'm wrong about Kobe (saying he's the most overrated player in NBA history) but I am fine if people want to think otherwise.