1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WBC: China vs. Slovenia

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by yipengzhao, Aug 23, 2006.

Tags:
  1. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Band of brothers.

There will be a similar shot taken in the early summer of year 2007. Some Yao, same smile, but wearing Rockets Red!

2. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

3. vizier

vizier Member

Now china now advanced into the next 16 but also become the 3rd place of group by beating slovenia, ohyeah.

4. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Thanks for sharing, Zhu_BaJie.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.uume.com/play.swf?flvurl=toqeOnqe6vjH"></param><embed src="http://www.uume.com/play.swf?flvurl=toqeOnqe6vjH" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

5. vizier

vizier Member

china is the 3rd indeed by winning this game.

6. jsnwu

jsnwu Member

I definitely believe CNT is the 4th place to advance.

7. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/usabasketball/chinaslovenia.html

China Wins Thriller Over Slovenia To Move On To Next Round

SAPPORO, Japan, Aug. 24 (Ticker) -- China's fate at the World Championships remained in doubt until the very last second.
    Shipeng Wang buried a 3-pointer at the final buzzer and Yao Ming of the Houston Rockets scored 36 points to lift Asian Champion China to a 78-77 victory over Slovenia in Group D action.

The victory moved China (2-3) into the round of 16, while Slovenia (2-3) needs Italy to defeat Puerto Rico later Thursday in order to continue in its first-ever tournament appearance.

After Uros Slokar hit a layup with six seconds remaining to give Slovenia a 77-75 lead, Wang quickly raced upcourt before sinking his desperation basket from the arc for his only points of the game.

"We had an excellent game," China coach Jonas Kazlauskas said. "I told my players that if they fight for the last minute, it was possible, and we did it. ... This qualification means a lot for us."

"We controlled the game, but in the end, we forgot one player who shot a big three-pointer," Slovenia coach Ales Pipan said.

Entering as the tournament's leading scorer, Yao again was dominant for China. The 7-5 center made 13-of-21 shots from the floor, 10-of-12 free throws and grabbed 10 rebounds. He is averaging 28.4 points in five contests.

China got off to a slow start before Yao scored 11 consecutive points to cut the deficit to 22-19 early in the second quarter. Slovenia followed with an 11-0 run for its biggest lead of the game.

Du Feng and former NBA center Wang Zhi-Zhi helped China chip away with a pair of 3-pointers in the third quarter before Yao converted a three-point play to give his team a 49-48 lead.

Sani Becirovic's layup with 1:17 remaining put Slovenia in front, 74-70, before Fangyu Zhu hit a 3-pointer to cut the deficit to one with 47 seconds left.

Moments later, Zhu fouled Becirovic, who made 1-of-2 free throws for a 75-73 lead. But Yao tied the game with 30 seconds to play.

Becirovic scored 20 points, Slokar added 15 and Primoz Brezec of the Charlotte Bobcats 14 for Slovenia, which committed just 10 turnovers.

8. halittlebear

halittlebear Member

totally agreeeeeee

9. MandM's

MandM's Member

I know you don't mean to be totally negative...but why don't you just give China ther props. They won. Good for them. Slovenia has 4 NBA players and should/would have beaten China if they could...but they didn't...and in this case couldn't. It's not like they didn't try.

Also...the same could be said for Puerto Rico...who in your words 'were lucky to beat" China. China should have won that game...but didn't. That's the way it goes.

But I'm going to give China their props. Good for them.

AND...I for one wasn't a big fan of Yao rushing back to play in the WC's...but after seeing how he gradually got better each game...think it was probably good for him. And...good for the Rockets.

And for those people who wonder why Yao played 40 minutes (heavy minutes). I think playing big minutes for your National Team in a live or die game is much more important than playing heavy minutes in an end of regular season NBA game that means absolutely nothing to either team (Rockets vs. Jazz - April - broken foot game).

If he is capable then let him do what he wants. And each game of the WC s has shown that he is very capable.

And like I said, I was for him not playing at all before. But now...WOW YAO! The guy is a bad ass.

10. 99bb

99bb Member

China will play against Turkey in next round :D

11. 99bb

99bb Member

I may be wrong. I am not so sure whether china is ranked 3 or 4. Some say 3 whereas the other say 4. It makes me totally confused. :confused:

12. vizier

vizier Member

a rocket related question: can t-mac leads this CNT scrubs to advance into the final 16? or any NBA player for that matter?

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

if china had anyone decent in the low post then maybe he could but without yao they don't. for t-mac to be able to do it we would have to see the healthy t-mac that is willing to go to the hole rather than settle for jumpers.

and maybe any top 10 player in the NBA could do it, but obviously not any NBA player.

14. jsnwu

jsnwu Member

Indeed, you were wrong.
    China is ranked 4 and will play against Greece, 1st of Group C.
    Yao vs Span, interesting

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

China is 4th in the group. So they will play the top seed in the group with Greece and Turkey.

16. looper

looper Member

dudes,

any torrent links for this game? for us east coast early risers?

thanks

17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

great finish

great pictures

I am glad for the chinese people

we can see more of yao too

peace

18. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

19. jeff from vandy

jeff from vandy Contributing Member

Congrats to Yao and the CNT. You have to know how much this means to him. Just look at those pics, Yao is loving life! Hopefully we can get him to smile like that next season!

20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I am sure he will be just as happy when Rockets win the NBA championship next year. :D