1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ways to beat the Magic......

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ambrose86, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Do not play zone and let Dwight Howard go one on one. We man up against all their 3 point shooters. With Battier and Artest as defensive wings, and with Yao more than capable of going 1-1 against dwight, I think we may be the team with the best chance of beating the Magic.

2. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

personally, i think law of average will prevail, you always guard paint first and let them shoot contested three, as long as you rotate and put hands up to contest, it's ok, even if they make the shot.

it's better to give up a contested three than letting dwight beasting in the paint.

3. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Rockets have an answer, his name is Yao Ming, end of story, we dont have a problem against them because the likelihood of both teams meeting again is slim.

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Didn't we beat them last time? I don't think there's a mystery on how to beat them.

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

We DID beat the Magic. And the score shouldn't have been as close as it was.

But we really don't need to beat the Magic that many more times. Once. Or five. And the five is kinda conditional on, ya know, both teams reaching the Finals.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed totally. Truth be told: he's not very skilled. His post game is almost non-existent. He has the typical one-dribble-hook that i'm sure even Ben Wallace has in his arsenal but other than that his game is ALL power, ALL directly attributed to his massive athletic advantage and ALL about where he is in relation to the basket when he receives the post feed. If he gets position on you: wrap him up and take the 1/2 from the FT line. Try not to let him bully his way to the basket. Basically, he's a less dominant version of Shaq.

Play Howard one-on-one. Don't double -- they have too many good shooters. Think JVG's Rockets with better shooters: Turkeyglue, Lewis, Nelson, Redick, Pietrus, Lee and whoever. Those guys are all marksmen from long range.

7. Yak

Yak Member

Trade for Yao Ming.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I still think the Magic are due to tail off eventually just like the prior 2 seasons. It will be later this time around. I don't believe for one minute Jameer Nelson will keep up his efficiency the entire season and playoffs. He will taper off like always. As a whole, the is no way the Magic will keep shooting 40% from long range as a team. Several of their games I've watched them get outplayed by opponents, but 13/27 or 14/29 3-point shooting bails them out.

Eventually those shots will clang off the rim and the Magic will have to figure out other ways to score. I predict they will have a tough time and their offense will run into trouble.

Bottom line: They will go as far as their 3-point shooting will take them.

P.S: Howard is better than some of you think. He has more than just a jump-hook. Watch him more and you'll see.

9. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Turkoglu didn't play when the Rockets beat them.

10. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Turkoglu is having a bad shooting year, they can replace him with surrounding three point shooting even though he is their Point Forward.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'm not taking anything away from him. The fact that he's a 20 PPG scorer with his skill level speaks for itself. But I do watch the Magic play fairly frequently and it's usually just more of what I already mentioned. He doesn't make 60% of his shots because his spin moves are that unstoppable.... or because his shooting touch is that pristine..... or because you never know what move he's doing next. That's simply not the case, IMO.

12. Asian Sensation

We are contemplating on different ways to beat the Orlando Magic. Wow. Times have changed.

Not really. They aren't that good.

13. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Hey the Magic has the third best record in the league.
    Ya i know they're in the east, but tat'd be one good team we match up well against.

14. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Yao Ming.

Sorted.

15. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

I was going to post the same thing. Just let Ming own his punk ass like he always does. Nuff said.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

we are an awful matchup for the magic. should somehow both teams beat the odds and make the finals, we'd dominate them.

17. 1onewonjuan

1onewonjuan Member

magic cant beat us, wat are yall talking about. sure theyre a good fight, but we're clearly the better team...at full strength that is. our bench will kill theirs, and our wings will kill theirs, and yao will get his, d12 will struggle to get his. hedo and lewis will be locked down by ron and shane. rafer will make nelson work hard.

18. Steve_Francis_rules

I haven't watched the Magic play that often, but one thing I've been really surprised by about Howard is that he can't make layups. Every time I see him go up for a layup (not a dunk), he puts it up way too strong and misses badly. I think the game against New Orleans on Christmas was the first time I had ever seen Howard make a shot other than a dunk or a free throw.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Is JJ playing?

;)

DD

20. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

Magic? Are you serious, worry about the Lakers, Portland, Celtics, teams that we lose to.