1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wayne Winston: Rockets won't be among most improved teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I didn't know about how hard Lin worked this summer and that Howard was really healthy, I'd probably say the same things.

As a matter of fact, this team has question marks. No one knows for sure how Lin is going to play or how Howard will hold up. No one. There's no guarantee this team wins 55 games next year. There's still a lot of work to be done. There's still a lot of issues and questions.

Will our D actually be any better?
    Will Lin be more consistent?
    Will howard be a better post player and ft shooter? Will he stay healthy?
    Will Asik play with passion?
    Will Dmo or Jones rise up to be a decent 4?

I mean, these are all legit questions that anyone could raise. With that many, people need to realize these Rockets...I mean, us being ranked 10th is not hating on us - it's just people seeing the challenges the team faces.

These Rockets may overcome them, and that's what we hope, but it's a lot - especially to expect this from a young team and coach.

2. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Probably took typing in high school.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Sure, we just added the best big man in the league to pair him with one of the best shooting guards along with a roster which has improved insofar as role players are concerned, and the result? Same team. :rolleyes:

4. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Remember how bad the Rockets' second team defense was last year? If you just replace those 16 minutes per game (that's 1/3 of the game!!!) with a defensive stopper (Asik or Dwight) so that you have 48 minutes of rim protection instead of 32, the Rockets will be monumentally better than last year. And that does not even include the possibility that Asik and Dwight might play together and gel (which is my prediction, though it will take some time).

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Ten games better for Cleveland is 34 wins. That's the equivalent of Philly or Toronto last year. It's not unrealistic.

6. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Actually Omer only played 30 mpg last season, so add in 18 minutes of rim protection per game (38% of the game with dramatically improved defense).

7. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I think this team is as good or better than some of those T-Mac/Yao teams that did win 50-55 games regularly. I don't see why it's such a stretch to predict that this team will win at around the same rate in the regular season. Harden and Howard might not be as good as prime T-Mac/Yao (debatable), but the team overall is much better.

8. PeppermintCandy

It seems that all this hedging from the media is coming after the first pre-season game.

9. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

If i had to bet on cleveland being over or under 10 wins better than last year i would take the over. They have some good young players on that team.

10. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Stopped reading at (Al Jefferson).

11. dje243

dje243 Member

So... I've been watching a lot of Orlando-Dwight highlights (from individual games) and I really think people are underrating his post presence. Sure... he doesn't look like dream in the post, but he does pretty well with his back to the basket and does have 2 or 3 basic moves that work for him. I mean when he was in Orlando that was basically the whole offense. Not saying he is a world beater, but this whole "Dwight is a terrible post player" crap is nonsense.

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

You could ask similar questions to a lot of the teams they have ranked ahead of us.

Warriors: Can they stay healthy? (Very big question due to their injury prone players)

Brooklyn: Do KG and Pierce have anything left? How do they fit? How will they improve on defense?

I can go on

13. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Last season, Dwight averaged something like 0.7 points per possession in the post or something like that. Dwight today is not the same as Orlando Dwight, and likely will never be.

14. dje243

dje243 Member

Last season Dwight was hurt. This season, Dwight isn't hurt. Therefore I conclude that his numbers should go up.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

His interest in being from the same town as George Costanza and the other celebrity was enough for me to feel bad for U of H students that have to take his class.

16. dje243

dje243 Member

I found this article from a Lakers blog that kind of sums up my feelings about Dwight in the post. When I look at what to expect from Dwight I'm more prone to look at the 11-12 season than the 12-13 season just due to the fact that he was under all kinds of pressure to come back earlier than he probably should have from his injury. I know it's possible that the production he had last year could continue, but from initial reports out of training camp it appears he's got his "bounce" back.

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2012/08/20/dwight-howards-offense-and-how-it-helps-the-lakers/

17. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I don't get it. Most of that's just wrong. If anything, most stats point to Lin NOT being a defensive liability. Is he like a plus defender? No...but he's not some sort of sieve lol.

And to harp on Howard and Lin for playing "poorly" is weird since both, while admittedly below expectations, did decently well by most nba standards. It's also disingenuous for him to not emphasize Lin's poor 3 pt shooting without mentioning how, in the later half of the season, he was shooting around 39% from 3 pt land...

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I've never been one to jump early in terms of analyzing the rockets. I feel if they stay pretty healthy,they're a top3 seed in the west. I think,well I know the rockets have 2 questions that no nba team can answer on the same team. Add the emergence of parson and the other young talent that can get better,I'm seeing great things.

19. verysimplejason

I don't know why Lin's gotta be the determining factor when we have 2 certified All-Stars + another 1 almost-all-star calibre than can carry us. Lin can contribute but still most of the responsibility will be on Howard and Harden's shoulders unless Lin can prove that he's also one of the stars of this team.

20. alethios

alethios Member

It's also easier to ride the wave of mediocrity year after year while you're collecting assets until that one or two magical years when the tumblers fall into to place and you score a couple of star players.

Truthfully, I didn't find anything ground-breaking or massively insightful by this guy that suggests advanced analytics, although he seemed to favor Vegas odds as a way to determine team success.

If anything, he should be sitting in on an analytics symposium given by DM.